After having read reviews on-line about GBP, I must admit I did have my reservations. However, my worries quickly vanished upon arrival at this wonderful resort. I was with my husband and 2 young children (ages 3 and 5), along with my parents, my inlaws and another friend, who was also with her parents, husband and 6 yr old son. There were 13 of us all together.
The resort was spotless, including rooms, restaurants, pool, beach, grounds and gardens. There was always a staff member(s) working hard to maintain the property and we were met with a smile around every corner. We loved the Lobby Bar where all 13 of us would meet before dinner for drinks and then again after our meals...wonderful service there and great live music!
The service we received was impeccable! My 3 yr old son has a peanut allergy, so I had phoned the resort prior to our arrival and spoke with a chef named Arnoldo, who assured us that he would make sure we knew what foods were prepared with nuts and which foods were safe for my son. He was true to his word. He met us at each meal at the buffet, but also made sure the staff at the Snack Bar and a la carte restaurants were aware of our needs relating to the food allergy. He even met us at a specified time at many of the different restaurants. He was happy, friendly and went out of his way on many occasions to prepare special food for my son (special omelettes, waffles and even packed us a safe lunch for the trip home). 98% of the food was safe anyway, but he made my son feel extra special by cooking special meals just for him!
My children had a wonderful time! The staff treated them very well, in fact I think they were a bit spoiled...they loved the beach and the pool. There was a nice shallow pool near the stairs to the lobby bar that we spent a lot of time at! There was a kids club but we didn't try it out because the children had to be 4 to go there and my son was only 3. We did check out the Mini Kids' Disco each night and my daughter even played musical chairs one night, taking first place and winning a souvenir t-shirt! She was so happy!
The adults all had a great time, too! I participated in Aguagym by the pool bar just before noon and had lots of fun! There was always something fun going on there every day. My husband and I did not make it to the evening entertainment because we had to get the kids to bed, but my parent highly recommend Jamaica Night! My daughter and I had manicures at the Spa and they did a great job with her! She had sparkly nail polish and then they painted little designs on each fingernail...she was in heaven!
A couple of quick points to make:
1) ask for a room on a higher floor. My in laws were put in a room on the first floor and had to be moved...very musty. But their request was accommodated on the second day and they were happy with the new room.
2) bring lots of $1 US bills for tipping. We were pretty generous with our tips and had a wonderful time with great service!
3) bring face cloths. We did have them sporadically during our weeks' stay, but because I had packed some, it wasn't a big deal.
4) don't forget the sunblock...at least 2 bottles. We brought 2 for my husband and I and then 2 for the children. It was enough for the one week.
5) be prepared to reserve your spot near the pool. I was up early with my son, so we didn't have a problem, but many chairs would be reserved by 8am. Chairs on the beach were easier to find.
There were a couple of negative experiences during our stay:
1) shower drain was very slow...tended to pool around your feet if you had the water on full pressure.
2) don't reserve at Dolce Vita, Italian restaurant. I think it was probably the worst dining experience I have ever had. Service and food was terrible. The Japanese restaurant and the Grill were wonderful, though, and totally made up for the bad night at the Dolce Vita. We were not able to get a reservation at the Don Pablo that was early enough for the kids, but I heard from other guests that it was wonderful.
My husband and I had traveled to Mexico in the past and had a very negative experience. This was only our second time going South and it definitely erased the one negative experience we had. We probably won't go to Mexico again, but will definitely be back to Jamaica!
And many thanks to Wayne and Gregory at the Orchid Buffet and to our favorite bartender, Beatriz, by the pool! And of course, to Arnoldo...who ensured that our son had no allergic reactions to nuts during our stay! Thank you all! We hope to see you on our next visit! We'll be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 848 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay, Caribbean