“Parguera Glass Bottom boat to the Bio Bay”
Review of La Parguera

and up
La Parguera Glowing Bioluminescent Bay Tour from San Juan
Ranked #120 of 582 things to do in Puerto Rico
More attraction details
Owner description: A tiny village by the sea full of homey bed and breakfast inns.
Novato, California
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Parguera Glass Bottom boat to the Bio Bay”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We went with the Glass Bottom boat out of Parguera to the bioluminescent bay. The cost was only $8.00, but it was only barely worth even that.
The boat was full. Left late which is typical of island time. We were out 50 minutes all together. Getting there took 20 and 15 minutes back. There were two young men who jumped off the boat to show the luminescent water when agitated. Problem is that only the people standing right at the railing could see them! Anyone in the second row was out of luck.
If they had 4 swimmers, if they had swam 10 or 15 foot out from the boat, we all could have seen. As it was they jumped in the forward section of the boat and made 2 short passes under the glass bottom, we were only able to see them for may be 30 seconds in total.
Try another company. We wanted to get into the water, but not with this company.
We just didn't have the time to kayak out for a 3 hour tour. But there must be other operators. I read that you can just hire a skiff to take you out. That might have been the better choice.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank RogerWi

Buffalo, New York
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

To say that this bio bay has changed in the past few decades is an understatement.
I visited about 20 years ago, and this bio bay is no longer worth the visit.
I do not even recommend this to a first time viewer.
In addition, to the lake of bio-fish, the bay is crowded with vendors & tour boats that are going to overwhelm you.
It is a sad day when God's creation is destroyed by mankind.
That is the case at this bio-bay. Not worth the trip, or the money. There is nothing left there to see. Very sad.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Rubytuezday
Lake City, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

I arrived in La Parguera on Friday(07/19) at about 10am. I first went to Johnny Boats to try to rent a small boat as I have read on this site could be possible.They did not have a boat available and could only ferry us to one of the islands(I was not interested in being dropped off). We walked next door to Cancel boats and were informed we could rent a boat for $35 for one hr but we rented it for 3, which was $90.They said that because I was under 35 if I was stopped by the DNRA I could be ticketed for not having a boating license. I took the risk and didn't have a problem. It was amazing. There are 3 descent sized mangrove islands with shallow, crystal clear water to anchor in. We ended up anchoring at Cayo Caracoles, along with numerous other boats, and snorkeling through the mangroves. There are sea urchins and starfish everywhere. Also colorful tropical fish. We were not ready to go. The town was very queit and laid back. I highly recommend adding this to your PR vacation.

9 Thank craiganem
Puerto Rico
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Nice place to stay for a weekend getaway”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

La Parguera is a nice place for a weekend getaway with the family and/or friends. You can find any type of activies: boats to different little islands, bars, restaurants, kayaks, among others.
You can rent an apartment/house or you can stay on one of the hotels. The location is great because from La Parguera in Lajas you can visit Guanica and Cabo Rojo for great beaches.

1 Thank Jordanar
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“La Parguera”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Excellent place to visit and spend a quite vacation. I spend my week ends in one of the houses in stilts in the water and is anunique experience. My grandkids love it. They can fish right of the house's pier. The many mangrove islands are unique for bathing, kayaking ,parachute boarding ,sunfihing , paddle boarding and snorkeling. It is very pretty at night to see all the stilts houses lighthed up and to go to the bioluminescent bay trip. A lot of sea activity all the time. Food is excellent at the yacht club Turrumote restaurant ( Parguera's best restaurant ). Moons restaurant in the center of the village was excellent too although seating was limited . Very different atmosphere week day versus the festive weekend activity. The best fish turnovers and fish soup was at the Dead End take out restaurant. Reef Pub is excellent for the chicken tenders and homemade hamburgers.There are other local smal restaurants also available. A visit to the mangrove chanels in the west side of the area is a must. Magueyes Island is where they have the only Marine Sciences graduate studies. Students from all over the world come here for their PhD's and Master's Marine Biology progam in the island. It is sponsored by the University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez Campus. A truly a very special place that I would live permanently there anytime.

6 Thank Resii