“Don't even consider it!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Spanish, Puerto Rican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Juan
“Don't even consider it!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

Tried to have lunch after Parque de las Cavernas, Service is so bad we have to left without eating!!! After 45 mins of taking our order no sight of our lunch and when asked what happened the waiter told us that there was 3 more orders in front of us, we asked for garlic bread they gave us a microwaved reheated old bread with the smell of garlic! We asked for our check (for sodas!!) and left!!! Dont go there

Maryland
“Real Puerto Rican food near Camuy River Cave Park”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

For those of you visiting Camuy River Cave Park, you can get the real Puerto Rican deal at very good price just a mile or so south of the park on Route 129. Food not great but authentic. Service friendly but slow, and servers English not so great - as I said, this is the real, deal, not a tourist restaurant.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Brooklyn, NY
“Wanted to give it a higher rating but couldn't :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

I ate here with my wife after being handed their menu from the Rio Camuy Caves in Arecibo. I expected to get a great traditional meal especially since the park was suggesting it but unfortunately I was wrong.

The food took forever to come and the service was sadly not good. The rabbit mofongo was sub-par and the rice was undercooked. I waited too long for the check and the waitress was literally just standing around not paying attention. My wife went to use the restroom and the toilets were backed up and non-functional.

I ate here as a kid with my dad when I visited these caves over 15 years ago and the the place looks exactly the same. I remember the food being better then but then again, I was a kid.

I feel bad leaving a negative review because I would like to see this place do much better however there were just too many negatives this time around to constitute a recommendation from me.

I'd recommend pulling over to one of the several vendors along the street and getting some food there instead.

Flyover Country, United States
“Not the worst meal I've ever eaten...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

I was desperate for a meal after visiting an archeological site, and thought I would give this place a try rather than eating at a chain restaurant. It was a poor decision. I had a pork chop, which was ok, but pretty bland, as was the beans and rice. The cheese flan was undistinguished. The decor was tawdry and the service indifferent. The whole experience reminded me of visiting a struggling place on Route 66 back in the 1970's. The big, empty parking lot, the large, open room with old fixtures and few patrons, and the uninspiring food. Then, as now, I would have been better off eating at a McDonalds or Subway.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Either they've been listening or people had too high expectations.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

Yea, the little guy at the Camuy Caverns sent us here. Yea, he's probably an owner. Welcome to capitalism.
Anyway, we met the owner on deck, his son. He was incredibly cordial to us. We came before most were there, around 11:30, because we went to the caves to avoid those crowds. He took time out to direct us to the window caves and gave us a route to San Juan along the coast where we found a secluded, not easily accessible protected beach where sea turtles come to nest. No I won't be sharing where this is because if and when we come back we'll hopefully use this beach to see them in season.
On to the food. We got a platter of traditional food to split, a sort of cheese pie cooked in a shell with pork, some yellow rice stir fried with pigeon peas and mashed plantain cakes, which we substituted out blood sausage to get, and some pork tenderloin. Everything was cooked well, except the pork which was dry but not terriblw. The cheese pie was velvety. The plantain cakes were delicious.
I didn't experience the same slow service issues, but it wasn't starting to get busy until we left. I also point out there were two groups of locals that were there with us, so it was at least encouraging. It was a hole in the wall. It did not smell. It felt like a rural diner on the mainland. The prices could be a bit high, but we split our meal for $16 and it was plenty.
You could definitely do much worse than this place.

• 4 of 5 bubbles