“Not the best bar ever, but a good find”
Review of El Batey

El Batey
Ranked #331 of 1,108 Restaurants in San Juan
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I can't say I agree with those who say this is the best bar in San Juan, but it's a good place to go and relax. They seem to work hard to keep the dive image going and they do a good job, but their liquor selection belies that designation. Still, it keeps away the teenyboppers and immature hipsters while giving everyone a reasonably priced place to get a good relaxing drink. And their choice of music is relaxing and eclectic.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I love a good dive bar....and El Batey is that! Good beer/liquor selection, entertaining decor (all the writing on the walls) and plenty of places to sit. I do wish the bathrooms were a little cleaner, but hey its a dive bar...you get what you get.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

After three attempts to find the bar open we finally got to try this bar. It's under new management according to Mario who was running the place and they open at 3:00 not 1:00. "Under new management" I understand now is code for ignore all the previous great reviews. Disinterested in serving us or other patrons that came in. Was more concerned with stirring things and cutting limes. Some people left after being ignored. I asked about their specialty drink and was told everything is special and whatever you want beer or rum and coke. I guess I have a different definition of special. Started with a couple of beer and then had enough with being ignored. I mentioned to Mario that we were looking to stay for the afternoon but leaving after being ignored. Mario was unapologetic saying that he can't do everything as he's the only guy in the bar. With this service and attitude he soon will be. With so many funky upbeat bars in the area I would recommend that this one be missed.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

We stayed at the AirBnB right next door, and wandered into the bar for a few drinks on our first night in Old San Juan. The bartender made us some killer mojitos, and we had a great time since the place wasn't all that crowded. It has a nice rustic feel to it, with writings from customers all over the wall. The drinks were pretty cheap too, and the service was excellent!

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Ok this place is awesome to see and have a beer at! The guy that runs the place was telling us the history and laughing it up with us. We asked for directions to a place we wanted to eat that we saw on Instagram and he said not to be rude but, from a local that place sucks lol so we took his advice and decided to search for something else. He asked what type of food we wanted and he then gave us multiple options. He gave us his two personal favorites and even called the owners to make sure they would be open and have a table for us ready! Who does that!? This place and the people that run it are great! Great history, lots to look at and the perfect vibe! Stop in and grab a beer! You wont regret! Thanks again! ZACH & LORI