“Great”

Ranked #12 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
jc
“Great”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I am pleased to say that my stay at Caleta was very nice. Great location with trolley access easily. The hotel is located on a beatiful street just steps from the cathedral. I stayed on the first floor Casablanca apartment (because my mother has a hard time walking up the stairs), and we really enjoyed it. It has an indoor "Garden" with no ceiling. It was interesting to be in kitchen or living space while it poured in the garden. I really enjoyed it. It added to the charm of OLD San Juan. The apartment was equiped with everything you could need. I bought wine and forgot to get corkscrew, and to my surprise the were 2 in the apartment. My only one disappointment was that some of the towels were pretty old. Everything clean and bed REALLY comfortable. Betsy, as all other visitors mentioned on their reviews, was indeed delightful and informative. She even showed me the other apts. I can't wait to go back to stay in Adoquin or La Puerta. They are all beautiful!!!! Thanks Betsy, see you soon

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My husband, best friend & I stayed at Caleta 64 for two nights before we left on a cruise out of San Juan. It was better than I expected. Old world charm combined with modern day comforts. Located right in the middle of Old San Juan on a residential street was much quieter than many of the hotel locations. Everything was within walking distance. We were able to walk everywhere. Taxis were always availble for longer distances.
We stayed in the Casablanca unit. The heart of the unit is open all the way up so we enjoyed a sky view from the courtyard. We even had soothing rain put us to sleep the lovely brick courtyard !
Betsy was a joy to work with. She met us at the home and showed us all around, made suggestions on places to eat and the best way to get from Caleta 64 to various locations. She supplied us with maps and an information sheet in the unit for reference.
I highly recommend Caleta 64 to stay and visit Cafecultura for the best coffee!! Thank you!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christin F
Columbus, OHio, USA
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed at Caleta 64 for 3 days and nights for a portion of our honeymoon. This location is a perfect spot for a couple who wants their own space own on space on vacation. The aparment sets off a beautiful street that is only a few minutes walk from anything you may want to see in Old San Juan. Inside there is plenty of space. We stayed in Adoquin- The apartment has a huge kitchen island, enough supplies to cook for yourself if you want, and a living area that gives you plenty of space to relax. The balcony really makes the place - the 3 sets of doors open up for a beautiful view. We stayed their in early May- San Juan was kind of rainy- but it was nice to go back after a day of sightseeing and stay at a beautiful place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Evansville, IN
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed at Caleta 64 for three nights before we left on a cruise out of San Juan. It was exactly what I was hoping world...old world charm with modern day comforts. The location was perfect, right in the middle of Old San Juan but on a residential street so it was much quieter than many of the hotel locations. Everything was within walking distance. We were able to walk to both forts, the pier, shops, restaurants, etc. The old city door is just a block or two down the street and a beautiful cathedral was about a short block up the street. No need to rent a car to get around the old city. If you need a taxi there is a taxi stand at El Convento which is just half a block away.

We stayed in the Casablanca unit. The heart of the Casablanca is the lovely brick courtyard which is open all the way up. It is so fun to be able to look up and see the clouds floating by. The charm of the home just grabbed at my heart. I felt like I had taken a step back in time but yet there is a full bath and a half bath that have been fully updated. The kitchen is also updated, complete with a full sized refrigerator, stove, microwave, wash, and dryer. It was nice to be able to wash all our clothes before we had to pack them back up for a week on the ship. Having a separate living room was a bonus and worked well when we had some friends from our cruise stop by. All this for the same price as many of the hotels in the area.

As I write this I realize that I have a big smile on my face just remembering how much I loved this place. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to experience the local culture and soak up a bit of the Old San Juan charm. Betsy was a joy to work with. She met us at the home and showed us all around, made suggestions on places to shop for food or snacks, and the best way to get from Caleta 64 to various locations. There are maps and an info sheet in the unit for reference. I hope we will be able to make it back some day.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ThankfulTraveler_12
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Took a last minute trip to San Juan when SW had the low flights! It was great. We found Caleta 64 on Trip Advisor, reviewed the comments, and booked. Betsy was very accomodating and the apartment was wonderful - just as we expected. We stayed in the La Puerta on the first floor. The location could not be better if you want to stay in Old San Juan. We had a car, and parked it within easy walking distance, since the apt is at the entry gate. The apt has a washer and dryer and everything you need. The beds were comfortable for 4 adults. We would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank cbsajs
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Reviewing the Adoquin room, as we've stayed there twice. Our first visit was in July 2009 so it was comforting to return to familiar surroundings. The Adoquin is the most spacious unit, with a balcony that overlooks Caleta de San Juan. Pale blue walls, four large ceiling fans and stone floors add to the lazy charm one is looking for on vacation. We'd throw our old San Juan style doors wide open to enjoy the balcony during the day. I'd park myself outside, read a book that a previous traveler left behind and listen to sounds from the street. Super relaxing! Bonus was the efficient a/c!

The unit is equipped with dishes, a mini fridge, washer/dryer, stove and microwave. The only other appliance we could have used was a dishwasher, as we had family coming in our unit frequently. It seems like many large families rent out several units during vacation, as our family was not the only one at Caleta. Despite the popularity, Caleta 64 appears to be well-cared for.

Room Tip: Adoquin! Most spacious as it is one large room. Optimal for a small family with no privacy issues.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LLori
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We had a great time during our first visit to Old San Juan. Betsy has a lovely building and the location is perfect. Right in Old San Juan in walking distance to all the attractions, shopping and eateries.

The La Puerta apartment was awesome. Great loft area for the bed and on-suite and kitchen and living area below. Betsy gave us fabulous eating recommendations too.

On a side note, if you love cats, then you're in luck in Old San Juan, as the feral cats are in full force. We were awaken at 3 am as the cats had a gang war outside the building. Puerto Rican cats are tough hombres.

Room Tip: For couples, the La Puerta room is great. It also has a pull out sofa downstairs.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple