“Nice apartment in the heart of Old San Juan”

Caleta 64 Apartment
Ranked #13 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Great location! We walked everywhere in Old San Juan -- and when our feet gave out, we took the buses that circle the old city. The apartment itself is unique -- our first floor apartment was built around an open courtyard! Convenient small kitchen -- AND a washer and dryer. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Betty E

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We are an early 30s couple and just stayed there for 3 nights. Excellent location. Walk all over Old San Juan. It is just a block from Paseo del Muro, a walkway where you can see the sunset. We are both artists, and enjoyed photographing and sketching from there. We stayed on the first floor, but the name escapes me. Not Casablanca. It was the front room and had a loft bedroom. Very romantic and whimsical to open the doors right up to the street. It is a side street, so not so noise, but a cent amount of foot traffic. Kitchenette, dining area, living room with daybed, loft bedroom, one full bath (shower only). We would absolutely stay again, and do recommend it to those with children. Other rooms had multiple bedrooms, like the one upstairs with a family of four. We never heard them, and had excellent sleep! Bear in mind that it is an old building. You need to throw toilet paper in the trash (not the toilet, which is common in PR) and the shower is a bit screwy. There is also a weird pipe in that gave off an odor when it rained. Not too unusual for old buildings especially in Old San Juan, but something to consider. Also, the washing machine was leaking, but we were able to use the one in the hallway. Washer/dryer on site is a plus! The room was clean, although the washer kept leaking so navigating the kitchen around the river was interesting. Betsy was very helpful. We didn't have the rental car until our final night there, and she gave us directions within a 5 minute walk for cheap, secure parking. She also told us places where the locals go, as we prefer to go outside our comfort zones and enjoy non-touristy places. Highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: First floor, front room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed in the Ballaja apartment for 2 nights -- it was perfect for us since we have a teenage girl and boy who wanted separate sleeping places. The unit is beautifully decorated and very unique. Best of all was the location -- not only on a gorgeous street but also close to the city's red gate, the waterfront, the cathedral, el convento, and many shops and restaurants. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. There are stairs since it's on the second floor, but it wasn't a problem for us. It's a quiet unit in the back too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AllyATL
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I am pleased to say that my stay at Caleta was very nice. Great location with trolley access easily. The hotel is located on a beatiful street just steps from the cathedral. I stayed on the first floor Casablanca apartment (because my mother has a hard time walking up the stairs), and we really enjoyed it. It has an indoor "Garden" with no ceiling. It was interesting to be in kitchen or living space while it poured in the garden. I really enjoyed it. It added to the charm of OLD San Juan. The apartment was equiped with everything you could need. I bought wine and forgot to get corkscrew, and to my surprise the were 2 in the apartment. My only one disappointment was that some of the towels were pretty old. Everything clean and bed REALLY comfortable. Betsy, as all other visitors mentioned on their reviews, was indeed delightful and informative. She even showed me the other apts. I can't wait to go back to stay in Adoquin or La Puerta. They are all beautiful!!!! Thanks Betsy, see you soon

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My husband, best friend & I stayed at Caleta 64 for two nights before we left on a cruise out of San Juan. It was better than I expected. Old world charm combined with modern day comforts. Located right in the middle of Old San Juan on a residential street was much quieter than many of the hotel locations. Everything was within walking distance. We were able to walk everywhere. Taxis were always availble for longer distances.
We stayed in the Casablanca unit. The heart of the unit is open all the way up so we enjoyed a sky view from the courtyard. We even had soothing rain put us to sleep the lovely brick courtyard !
Betsy was a joy to work with. She met us at the home and showed us all around, made suggestions on places to eat and the best way to get from Caleta 64 to various locations. She supplied us with maps and an information sheet in the unit for reference.
I highly recommend Caleta 64 to stay and visit Cafecultura for the best coffee!! Thank you!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christin F
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed at Caleta 64 for 3 days and nights for a portion of our honeymoon. This location is a perfect spot for a couple who wants their own space own on space on vacation. The aparment sets off a beautiful street that is only a few minutes walk from anything you may want to see in Old San Juan. Inside there is plenty of space. We stayed in Adoquin- The apartment has a huge kitchen island, enough supplies to cook for yourself if you want, and a living area that gives you plenty of space to relax. The balcony really makes the place - the 3 sets of doors open up for a beautiful view. We stayed their in early May- San Juan was kind of rainy- but it was nice to go back after a day of sightseeing and stay at a beautiful place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed at Caleta 64 for three nights before we left on a cruise out of San Juan. It was exactly what I was hoping world...old world charm with modern day comforts. The location was perfect, right in the middle of Old San Juan but on a residential street so it was much quieter than many of the hotel locations. Everything was within walking distance. We were able to walk to both forts, the pier, shops, restaurants, etc. The old city door is just a block or two down the street and a beautiful cathedral was about a short block up the street. No need to rent a car to get around the old city. If you need a taxi there is a taxi stand at El Convento which is just half a block away.

We stayed in the Casablanca unit. The heart of the Casablanca is the lovely brick courtyard which is open all the way up. It is so fun to be able to look up and see the clouds floating by. The charm of the home just grabbed at my heart. I felt like I had taken a step back in time but yet there is a full bath and a half bath that have been fully updated. The kitchen is also updated, complete with a full sized refrigerator, stove, microwave, wash, and dryer. It was nice to be able to wash all our clothes before we had to pack them back up for a week on the ship. Having a separate living room was a bonus and worked well when we had some friends from our cruise stop by. All this for the same price as many of the hotels in the area.

As I write this I realize that I have a big smile on my face just remembering how much I loved this place. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to experience the local culture and soak up a bit of the Old San Juan charm. Betsy was a joy to work with. She met us at the home and showed us all around, made suggestions on places to shop for food or snacks, and the best way to get from Caleta 64 to various locations. There are maps and an info sheet in the unit for reference. I hope we will be able to make it back some day.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple