“Home away from home......”

Caleta 64 Apartment
Ranked #13 of 29 San Juan B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Home away from home......”
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Ok let me start by saying this, initially I was really worried about not staying in a big chain hotel with it amenities and conveniences, but I wanted to take chance,and get more of a local feel for San Juan, so I opted into stay at Caleta 64 and I'm glad I did! It was soooo perfect. It felt like a home away from home. We were there for a few days before a family cruise (Oct 2010) and it was just perfect all the way around. It IS truly centrally located. And located in a VERY safe neighborhood. It's in walking distance to everything you may need...supermarket, restaurants, bars, as well as historical sights. It's also located less than a two minute walk from San Juan Bay..... absolutely gorgeous at night! We stayed in Adoquin and Casa Blanca. I absolutely loved the Adoquin apartment, especially the wooden french doors that led to the balcony. It just gave the room a nice open flow to it. Everything you needed was supplied, and if it wasn't, Betsy was there to supply it. I can't tell you what a great help she was, from food recommendations to car rentals to whatever ...she was there to help. I also want to thank her for allowing my family and I to store our luggage the day of check out, until our cruise was ready for us to board. I definitely will be back to san Juan and I definitely will be staying at Caleta 64. If you want a truly local feel for San Juan with a friendly atmosphere, stay here!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank DFierce27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed 8 September 2010

It was such an amazing vacation and our stay at Caleta 64 was perfect. We will definetly be back. Betsy was very warm, helpful and accommodating. The location was perfect, the apartment is beautiful and had a very home-like feel to it. We stayed in adoquin.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Lination81
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We stayed at Caleta 64 in Adoquin during our honeymoon, after 4 days in Vieques. Caleta 64 is on a residential street in Old San Juan, and convenient to many restaurants, tourist attractions, and shopping, but away from all the noise and street traffic. The room was very clean, has all the necessary furnishings, and was very comfortable. After 4 days in Vieques driving all over to visit the private beaches, it was great to spend a few days walking around. Caleta 64 feels like you are a resident in Old San Juan. The walls are very thick and we could not hear any of the other guests there at all. If you are looking for a romantic getaway, or just a place to visit Old San Juan, this is the place. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jstaubes
ORLANDO, FL
Reviewed 10 August 2010

As someone who has travelled to San Juan probably 10 times, let me first tell you that the place that you want to stay is Old San Juan. Isla Verde and Condado are nice neighborhoods, but to get the feel of San Juan, you need to stay in the epicenter, which is definitely Old San Juan... I stayed at Caleta 64 w my mother and girlfriend. We went for my moms bday. Let me first say that if you are expecting the checkin of a hotel and hotel room type surroundings, dont stay here. Ive read some of the reviews and am amazed at what people say... THIS PLACE IS AMAZING. We stayed in the Casablanca unit and we absolutely loved the location, literally on top of the El Convento hotel and sitting right on a brick street. It is very nicely furnished, w modern appliances etc, but also had a rustic charm that was amazing. Were there imperfections? Of course, but nothing that is even worth mentioning. We felt as if we had our own home in Old San Juan. We made coffee in the morning and went and bought bread and cheese at a local store and sat in the open air patio, which is just beautiful. I will go back here again and again... for anyone reading negative reviews, do not believe it. Stay here and feel what it was like to live in Old San Juan in the 1800's. We are already planning a trip back there for my moms bday next year. :)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank micaron
NY, NY
Reviewed 2 August 2010

OSJ is absolutely beautiful, and the Caleta 64 apartments are just that. They accomodate those who appreciate the beauty of a step back in time, and they are quite magical. The location of these apartments is superb and I applause Betsey and her husband for the sytle of the decor which is truelly tastefuly done. Yes, here is where the "but" comes in, and really I wanted to LOVE this place even upon arrival. Betsey was nice but at times the nice was quite obviously forced, and this was uncomfortable. We took three apts, all were visually spectacular, and clean in appearance on the surface, but in certain areas filthy. I suspect she was overworked and doing the cleaning herself which is near impossible when a) motherhood duty is calling (her daughter is an adorable sweet little thing) and b) you are operating another full time business up the street. Old buildings like Caleta are a MAGNET for dust, mold and grime (we understand that) and need to be THOROUGHLY cleaned regularly which I am sure is exhasuting and extremely time-consuming. My son had a severe allergic reaction to the mold and/or dust in the apt "La Puerta" which had the most potent smell of wetness, thankfully we were staying in the "Balaja" room which didnt have the wetness problem. The party we were traveling with actually bought some bleach and scrubbed down some areas to rid the smell in La Puerta but it was back within hours. A de-humidifier is and abosoulte must in a place like this and would be a well-worth investment. Betsey was aware of the smell (she sprayed alot of febreeze and offered to continue doing so) she also covered the couch with a sheet which is where alot of the dank musty smell was eluding from. She explained that she was aware of the problem, and had washed the cushions multiple times which I do beleive she has done, but I happen to know this problem can't be solved in an antique place like this without a de-humidifier.. Again, really trying to be helpful but rather bothered by it all the while and a little defensive. She suggested that a relative of hers "takes procautions when traveling with a child with allergies" Ah, what precaution would she suggest? She also suggested that it really depends on the person and it's a matter of oppinion and what your taste is. Old places like this arent for everyone." Actually we were seeking out an old place, in OSJ to stay because our love for these places. Oldness is one thing, cleanliness is another- in addition to the grime and wet dust in the corners (don't move any furniture or you will discover garbage behind the pieces) there was a drain full of food in the kitchen sink from the guests who stayed before us. Thankfully the sheets were clean and fresh as well as the towels. Betsey was also very accomodating to my family with a very late check out which is something she certainly didn't have to do and was very much appreciated. Our family is very accustomed to antique places and of course by staying somewhere like this you don't expect the cleanliness of a brand new hotel which is impossible, however there are so many things that could have easily improved our stay. Its a huge task to upkeep such an old magnificent place, and one that I could sympathize with, but if you arent up for the trying tasks of doing all you possibly can do to maintain it, this becomes a problem. Attention to detail is so imperitive to the success of a place like this (really? food in the drain? garbage behind a trunk? not replacing a couch ridden with mold?). If it wasnt for the beauty of the actual place, the location, and accomodating a late check out then I would have to have given this place a poor and not average rating. Perhaps these are recent problems or perhaps Betsey has become fed-up with such a huge job of upkeep (can't say I blame her) as I don't see a great deal of negativity in prior reviews, although I do see some things here and there regarding the couch smell. OSJ is gorgeous and maybe if you dont mind these things than Caleta would be good place for you to stay. It's certainly worth seeing.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Neri212
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2010

My husband and I only stayed here a couple nights - and loved it - but this is the kind of place that would be even better if you had a week or so at your disposal. It felt like our own private home in Old San Juan. The location is fantastic - on a gorgeous tree lined street across from the cathedral, an easy walk down the hill to the promenade, and just a couple blocks into the center of Old San Juan. Inside, the split level apartment was tastefully decorated with a sizable kitchen and living space downstairs and a loft bed and bathroom upstairs. My favorite part was the big wooden windows that opened up to the street. I loved hearing the town wake up in the morning...but we weren't in such a crowded location that it disturbed us at night. Best of both worlds! We did have a little trouble with mosquitos and sort of a funky air conditioner but these were trivial issues overall and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tepirby
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 7 May 2010

My stay at Caleta 64 is definitely a memorable one. We decided to stay in a vacation rental home in Old San Juan the week of our wedding ceremony, because we thought it was a better value. The location was perfect at it was right across the street from the hotel we were married at. First of all, Betsey is amazing to work with. We arrived in San Juan very late and I was so appreciative that Betsey waited up for us to hand over the keys to the place. Unfortunately we had car trouble, and Betsey allowed my sister to pick up the keys for us. Her and Gustavo were so accomodating and very understanding. When we arrived to Caleta 64 (we stayed in La Puerta) we were in awe. The place was gorgeous, and I will say that the pictures do the apartment no justice whatsoever. The old world architecture was maintained eventhough renovations were done. The place was absolutely charming, and extremely comfortable. We really felt at home here. The AC was wonderful in our unit, and the place was spacious. We rented a car and had no trouble finding parking every night very close to the apartment. We enjoyed our stay, and we will definitely be back here on our next visit to Puerto Rico. Thank you Betsey & Gustavo for making us feel at home, and for being such lovely people. Thank you for all the tips and advice! We adore you guys!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple