“Could have been better”

Ranked #123 of 1,034 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$25 - US$45
Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nested in the heart of the Historic Hotel El Convento, Patio del Nispero offers the perfect setting for a casual breakfast, lunch, Puerto Rican tapas, cocktails or a romantic dinner. A "must visit" during your visit in Puerto Rico.
Sierra Vista, AZ
“Could have been better”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I ate here our first night in the hotel. My side dish of potatoes arrived late and was cold. When the food was delivered, the side dish was not there, Had to keep asking for the side dish. After it arrived and found out that it was cold, the manage gave me credit. Like my wife said, $8.00 should be able to give credit. I say $8.00, but am not sure of the price. This soured me on having dinner in the place anymore. However, we did have breakfast there and it was very good. Would have given a three star rating except for the attention that was provided in the morning meals. Much better than the evening meals.

• Visited April 2014

“A Lovely Place to While Away the Afternoon”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

After a long, hot, sweaty day exploring Old San Juan, we settled on a late lunch at the Patio del Nispero inside the Hotel El Convento. I had eaten here several years ago and enjoyed it, and this trip was even better. We had superb service from the entire team. The sangria (white wine with guava) was amazing. Our sandwich, appetizer, and salad were delicious, certainly the best Cuban sandwich we've ever tasted. There was never any pressure to "hurry up," we were allowed to linger and enjoy our meal in a truly wonderful, leisurely fashion. The patio is so pretty, and they have a shade to protect diners from the sun. Because the restaurant is set in a courtyard, there is a nice breeze and the sound of the fountain is very soothing. We highly recommend eating here and enjoying a meal in a historic setting.

The Caribbean
“Best bloodies and mojitos”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

A beautiful oasis in Old San Juan - open air, shade, breeze, privacy... I was there recently and there was a bartender named Vanessa that made the best bloody mary's and mojitos I have tasted - and I've tasted more than a few! Cheers...

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Havana-O
New York
“absolutely heavenly ambience (and the food is pretty good too)”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We ended up at the Patio del Nispero after getting rained on (the rain came out of seemingly nowhere-- not uncommon in the Caribbean) and going into the lobby of the Convento for cover.

The crowning glory of this place is the setting: forming the courtyard/atrium of the hotel, it is incredibly peaceful and quiet- a welcome respite from hustling and bustling San Juan (the same is true for the hotel overall).

The food is very good too (I had the chicken sandwich, my partner the cuban wrap). And for a high end hotel, not overpriced. But (and if you see some of my other reviews of San Juan restaurants, you will notice, this is a recurring theme), the service, while always friendly, would embarrass a snail. Every component took forever. Our food (not difficult to prepare) took almost 50 minutes to arrive, and only after multiple hints.
Perhaps they were understaffed? But that shouldn't be an excuse, I suppose. Finally, the bartender offered us complimentary beverages- a nice gesture. And again, I will stress they were super nice and friendly.

I would certainly go back and continue to recommend this place.

Kiev, Ukraine
“Relaxing and enjoyable!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The terrace restaurant Patio Del Nispero in the Hotel El Convento is a Gem in the Old center of PR. We had dinner in this place and atmosphere was very relaxing feeling of being in the old days. The restaurant is situated within the courtyard of the hotel and shaded by the big tree. It feels cool without air condition and wonderfully relaxing. Service was good and very attentive waiter. Food was good as well. Its little pricey for low budget traveler but if you can spare some $$ in exchange of best food experience do stop by.Dinner will cost you about $50/person including a drink.

Nice place to indulge if you can afford it and need for a relaxing evening..