Fortaleza Guest House
US$396
US$212
US$368
  • Pool
Tres Palmas Inn(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$354
US$360
US$311
  • Pool
CasaBlanca Hotel(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$170
  • Restaurant
All reviewsplace to stayold san juanbring earplugslocation is greathostel
Reviewed 12 June 2011

if you want to feel home..... that's the place! The location..... can't be better!, the warmnest of the people running the place makes you feel like you never want to leave. Being an old building the person who looks after the place doesn't stop cleaning it up! Great place for a free traveller... love it!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank monisalta
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Last year my friend and I went to Puerto Rico for 6 days and we decided to stay in Fortaleza Guest House due to the fantastic location. We did not make any arrangements except for our flight so we were happy to hear there was still a room available for us. We asked for a room with a balcony at the front of the hotel and this was not a problem!

The first night I met one other single traveller who wanted to join us on our trip to the rainforest (with rental car) later that week. The next day another single traveler wanted to join us and there we had our car full :-) (besides sharing costs also nice company!). At night we went with (almost) the whole guesthouse to the pub and had some great nights in the shared living room and at a salsa club.

I guess it is also about the people you meet in the hostel, but for us the service was great and the shared bathrooms were perfectly fine (in my bathroom in SXM I didnt have a hot shower so I considered it even luxury!) The second last day it had rained badly and our bed was wet due to a leak.. We could have changed room, but we decided to push the bed into the (dry) corner and got our sheets changed immediately.

The next day we had to leave the guesthouse.. Unfortunately. I would definately go back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Upon arrival, I met Tina, the owner, a truly nice woman. Israel, the manager, kept the place muy limpia (very clean). My bedroom shutters opened onto the balcony, which let a nice breeze into the room. Although, the street could get noisy at night, when I closed the shutters and turned on the fan, I had no problems with the noise and had a great night's sleep for the entire week of my stay. The other guests were some of the friendliest people, I have ever met. Tina's son, Ricky, manages the gift shop downstairs and seemed to be one of the most decent guys I have ever met. When I was leaving, Tina was kind enough to drive me to the airport, for much less than I would have paid for a taxi. I am retired and take a few vacations each year. If I am still in good health next year, I am planning on spending a month or more at Fortaleza Guest House. Thank you, Tina, Israel and Ricky for being the greatest hosts at any hotel I have had the pleasure to stay. I hope to speak with you soon to schedule a long stay next year, if not sooner.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I've stayed in many hostels before, and this would have to be in my top 3 dirtiest hostel. My friend and I stayed in a one room with no windows but had A/C on the first floor. Our room smelled like someone had peed in the corner or the room. There's two shared bathrooms on this floor, one lacked a sink. Both were disgusting. Stay away from the kitchen--it's quite gross.

With all that being said, the cost wasn't too bad and it's conveniently located in Old San Juan. We had a taxi driver dropped us off; don't drive there. We were also very close to Condado, so we took a bus there for 75cents. It also helps to know a little Spanish, as the owner knew few English words.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank bheroa
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Traveling solo this trip - was looking for something cheap in Old San Juan. This place met those requirements.The location is convenient - right in the heart of OSJ. However, it was loud there - walls must be thin because I heard all the noise from the street and I was not in a front room.
Room was small , well worn , functional a/c with shared bath - all expected based on website. However, sheets didn't fit the bed (too small) and kept pulling off. Fan in room was filthy and I was afraid to use it and risk spreading the dirt everywhere. Floor was gross, would not recommend standing barefoot anywhere in the hotel.
The "shared bath" was actually 2 small bathrooms. In the primary bathroom, the toilet seat didn't stay secure to toilet - I almost fell off!! The second bathroom was so small that my knees banged up against the door when sat on toilet. This room did NOT include a sink for handwashing!! Instead, there was a non-functional bottle of hand sanitizer - not acceptable by my standards.
The kitchen was dirty and gross looking. I was afraid to use it or eat anything that came out of there. I ended up buying a gallon bottle of water and some individually wrapped pastries for breakfast which I kept in my room.
I didn't see anyone clean anything the entire time I stayed ( 4 days). The manager was usually on the internet or watching TV. The man who ran the place was not helpful in providing any info on OSJ, basically just showed me the room and took my $.
I have stayed at hostels before in various cities. I expected basic, but this was below my standards. Next time, I will pay more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo