“Amazing Staff, great hotel, challenging location”

Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 2 April 2011

I have yet to stay at a hotel with a better staff. I know management is very attentive to this, and must cite Agmel, amongst others. The hotel staff was exceptional from the time we met with the bellmen, the 3 desk agents, the pool bartender, the spa, and finally the two hostesses and waiter at Choices.
The hotel is classy, well done. The pools on the 4th floor include and infinity pool overlooking the cruise ships and yacht harbor. Music is piped in, and it is spacious with a bar and food service.
The location is a challenge. Taxi to Old Town is easy to get, but $15 ech way.
Rooms are great! It is the perfect escape after the cramped quarter of the cruise ship.
The workout room was exceptional!

Did I mention how amazing each and every one of the hotel staff were? Seriously! Remarkable! I am very thankful!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jpowers

Reviewed 31 March 2011

This seems to be a popular hotel with cruise ship passengers. We arrived in the afternoon, and the bellmen were very helpful with our luggage. They assisted us into the lobby and offered assistance getting to our room when we were ready. There was a long line, but the check in process went relatively quickly. The room was prepaid with my airline miles, I always worry that something went wrong in the reservation process, but all was good. Our room overlooked the bay. It was very clean, the ammenties were good and it was definitely Sheraton quality. There was a restaurant and a bar offering tapas in the hotel, but that was it. There was really nothing else within walking distance, except for a little cafe across the street. We could see the cruise ships from our window, but they were not within walking distance. They are developing the area, and when they are finished I think it will be prime location. The restaurant was very expensive, and very slow. Our very handsome and charming waiter, Luis, brought us a complementary desert to make up for the 45 minute wait for our food. It was very easy to get a taxi the next morning to Old San Luis, and the hotel stored our luggage until we returned to pick it up in the afternoon. When the area around the hotel is fully developed, I would highly recommend it. Until then, the Sheraton Old San Luis seems like a better option.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2011

All I wanted was a safe hotel for a night before my cruise. What I got was a comfortable hotel with a fantastic pool and hot tub, free internet, and a casino to make the evening go by in a flash. I was able to grab an inexpensive supper at the bar outside the front door and a muffin for breakfast at the coffee bar. There was free Starbucks coffee in the room.
Added benefits were the least expensive cab fare from the airport ($15) to any of the hotels, another inexpensive cab fare to the pier ($10), and a beautiful view of my ship out my window when I awoke. If I do another cruise out of San Juan and go a day early I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank XCruiserBB
Reviewed 26 March 2011

On arrival my lagoon view which I paid extra for was not available. I was told that I was receiving an upgrade to the club level. Funny cause the club level stuff is closed on the week end and we were told we could not use it anyway. Soo check out the picks of our view, nice ha... NOT! a dump!!!!!!!!!!. Other that that the hotel is nice, casino is good. Pool is freezing and very small And walls paper thin you will hear everything even if someone is using a hair dryer next door. Oh and not vent in bathroom so if you feel gassy and are shy send your guest for a walk or blast the TV while you are in there.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I want to start off by saying the staff at this hotel are friendly and wonderful. However, if a mistake is made promises are made that are NOT kept.
They will tell you anything to make you leave the front desk to try to get others checked in quickly but the follow through is horrible. They do not get back in touch with you. We had misc charges on our bill that we caught only because we asked to see the folio ahead of time. We did this because the check in took over 4 hours and because we had to catch a plane we wanted to make sure check out went smoothly. It would not have if we had not spent an hour of our time the day before checking the folio and having them remove misc charges. The area around the hotel is NOT developed. They show pictures of shops and eateries but these are really all empty. The "CLUB" in the hotel does not exist. There is no dancing. The specials advertised never take place, $20 for all you can drink champagne if you're a lady, don't count on it. The sushi bar we never saw open once. If it is advertised or promised to you don't expect it. I feel bad because the staff works so hard and is so friendly but the management does not keep their word. This hotel stays up because of the convention center, the friendly staff and their contract with the cruise lines. Do NOT stay here if you can help it. It will not meet your expectations. If you're a business traveler it's fine but if you're planning an event or a wedding beware. They will say anything to get you to book. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I was fooled once and will NEVER go back and stay here again. I will try to get every person I know to NEVER stay here. I would rather pay more to stay somewhere where integrity and honesty mean something. I have stayed at several Sheratons and this is by far the most up set I've ever been after having stayed somewhere. It is a nice hotel, a nice spa, a nice staff. It's too bad that the upper management don't have a conscience. Don't say one thing and do another. Once trust is broken it is nearly impossible to get back. Although I know this was a specific location it made me doubt the Sheraton brand in general. It just goes to show that hiring the right people can make or break a business. Sometimes a trusted name like Sheraton can keep a location open based on the trust and reputation that other Sheratons have worked hard to build. It is sad that one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. PLEASE do not stay here until they make a change.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2011

WOW! a nice impression at first. It was after midnight when we arrived and the front desk staff was great! The lobby is nice and the room was selected for us to allow for a view and a terrace.

The disappointment was at 2 AM when I realized the sheets on the bed were too small and had come loose at each corner. I had to get up and leave my partner in that bed and head for the other bed in the room. This was no Westin bed!!

The only other disappontment was the bad pizza and the 2 glasses of wine for $60! They even tacked on a room charge for $7.50! Good God!

Its all in the details!!! I'd pass next time.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
MariaI-ExecAssistant, Management Representative at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2011

We really appreciate the comment about your recent stay at the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino. Although we’re pleased to know you enjoyed your room, we’re sorry to hear about your disappointments. At Sheraton is all about connecting with people and making sure our guests are comfortable, we have ordered new sheets to keep this inconvenience from happening again. As you mentioned in your review, it’s all in the details! Please give us the opportunity to serve you again in a future.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

We have one more night at this hotel and can't wait to go. I've spent more money staying at this hotel than I would have had I booked at the Ritz.

A few traps to watch out for at this hotel...
- We upgraded to a Club Room for about $50 per night to get Club access with free internet and continental breakfast. Beware continental breakfast is only served Monday-Friday in the club lounge. So if you're here for a weekend trip skip the club rooms. The internet never worked!
- Like every review of this hotel watch every bill. Gratuity was already on most bills.
- Taxis- from this hotel you have to take a taxi everywhere. A 10 minute trip is between $12 and $20 per direction. To get to a beach, get back to the hotel from the beach, then go out for dinner and get back to the hotel you should just budget for an additional $80 a day for Taxis

All in all only stay at this hotel if you're about to get on a cruise ship or if you're here on a convention that is at the hotel, otherwise pay a little more and stay in Condado or Isla Verte areas then at least you'll feel like you're on a vacation.

• Stayed: March 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at our property. Please accept our sincere apologies, as we were very disappointed to read about it. Although we provide vouchers for weekend use for our Club floors’ guests, we’re taking in consideration keeping our Club Lounge open during weekends. Please know that we would welcome the opportunity to provide a more enjoyable experience for your next visit. Best regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!