“Indifferent” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Chicago, Illinois
“Indifferent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at this resort for a brief vacay. I loved the fact that the hotel way very modern and that the staff was very nice and professional, but what I did not know was that the location seemed to be a little away from everything. Again, I thought that the hotel was very nice - although that casino is not really a casino, everything else was pretty nice. Very nice and clean rooms, the pool area was pretty cool, but the overall experience was kind of blah. Great place, and I think a nice hotel for a family, but if you are there looking for some "action", this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Laura R, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 19 August 2014

We appreciate your comments about your recent stay. We look forward to connecting with you during your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This past Christmas (December 2013) my sister and I were looking for a place to stay near the San Juan airport, but in walking distance to the Condado area. All the usual hotels that I prefer were booked, so I took a chance on hotels.com and ended up staying at the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino. It is about a 15 minute walk to the center of Condado, and it is right next door to the Convention Center.

If you are attending an event at the Convention Center, this hotel is probably the most ideal in terms of location. If you are not, and there is a major event at the Convention Center, be prepared to deal with concert goers or conference attendees and traffic. The night I stayed at the Sheraton there was a major DJ event, which made for larger than normal crowds and a lot of outdoor activities. It definitely would have been an issue if you were staying at the hotel and looking for a good night’s rest. Our flight was early, and we needed to be out by 4:00AM, so while the hotel was very nice, luxurious even, and the front desk folks accommodating, not sure it was the ideal hotel for my situation that evening. Thankfully the traffic had subsided by the time we left for the airport – people were still leaving from the event at the Convention Center.

If you stay at this hotel, I would say it is ideal if you plan to stay here while returning from a cruise or attending an event at the Convention Center. Walking to the Condado Area from this hotel can be tricky. While it is considered to be in the Condado Area, it is not on the same street that some of the other major hotels are in the Condado (Marriott, La Concha, etc.).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Elvin M
Joel R, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Elvin M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are strategically located in the Convention District which puts you just 5 minutes away from the major points of attraction. We hope that in the future our property serves your purpose of vacationing in Puerto Rico as we not only cater to the business market.

Best regards,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This trip has totally tainted by view of Puerto Rico in general. Arrived at around 4 pm with colleagues for business trip. None of our rooms were ready. The hotel clerk informed us that the "locals" had not yet checked out and they do not have a process for setting a check out time. They are allowed to stay as long as they want. We waited and waited for our rooms - some folks waited in access of 4 hours. They do not apologize for their tardiness or for the situation. It is what it is and because you are not a "local", you will sit and wait.

Upon check in, we noticed that the hallways were filthy. It appeared that they had not been vacuumed since the hotel opened. In fact, there was trash in the hallway near the elevators that remained there the entire length of our stay (4 days).

I guess my room appeared somewhat clean except for the stains on the curtains, the apparent blood stain on the desk, and someone’s toothbrush that was left in my room the entire length of my stay..... Absolutely disgusting. I actually left the event early and was glad that I didn't have to stay for the final night. I couldn't get home soon enough. My luggage is still in the garage...I am worried what might have come home with me from the trip.

The service at the hotel is HORRIBLE. They cater to the locals and not to guests. They host pool parties for the locals but closed the pool for the entire week our group was there. I will never be back to this hotel, and after this experience, have no desire to return to PR ever.

Since there is no standard check out time, the housekeeping is there late into the evening. Many times they were congregated outside of my room. It made it very uncomfortable leaving my room because they appear to be watching you. It didn't make me feel safe. To make matters worse, the safe in my room was locked shut and I couldn't put my valuables away. I ended up putting most important things in my purse and taking them with me.

The location is horrible. There is nothing around but the convention center. You will need to take a cab everywhere. Also, the hotel does not have shuttles. You will need to bring CASH as the cabs cannot or will not take credit cards. The cab rides are downright scary and dangerous. One cab told my coworker, "to sit down and be quiet woman", when she simply asked for him to turn on his lights while driving at night.

Hotel could be nice and had potential but it is so apparent that the mismanagement of this hotel is pounding it into the groud. I think Sheraton corporate should get involved so that this can be more welcoming to travelors and not just a "club" for the management and locals.

I would STRONGLY recommend staying somewhere else. I have heard good things about the Ritz Carleton. I would not stay here if you want to be treated like a valued guest.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Kelly B
DominiqueHaacke, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Kelly B,

We very much regret to hear of the service opportunitites you experiecned during your stay with us. This is definitely not the experience we want any of our guests to have when visiting our hotel or beautiful Puerto Rico.

I wish to share that we have had a lot of visitors and groups staying over during the month of July and we apologize for any discomfort this may have caused. I have shared your concerns on cleanliness with our Director of Housekeeping and will most definitely review our areas when the hotel is full.

We hope that this stay did not affect your confidence in our brand and invite you to come back and visit us in the future.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Upon arrival at our hotel we were warmly welcomed by Tatiana Chabert. She was able offer us an upgrade and bottle of Champagne in our room to help kick off our honeymoon visit. She also left a congratulatory personal note to wish us luck in our marriage. The hotel has been very welcoming and helped to assist in our rental car and directions. I would visit again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MariaVInf, Management Representative at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Mindy M,

Congratulations on your honeymoon! We are glad to know that you were celebrating this special occasion with us. Your recognition to Tatiana Chabert is very much appreciated and we'll make sure her manager is aware of it.

This is what Sheraton is about. We connect with our guests in a way that we ensure their stay with us is a memorable one. We look forward to your upcoming wedding anniversaries here, at Sheraton Puerto Rico!

Again, congratulations!!!

Best!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel was nice! Very quiet! If you are looking for "Night Life" this hotel is not the place. The Casino is small and not a whole lot of action. Parking is very expensive. If you need parking, park in the city's parking lot and walk down the hill. You will save about $100 for the week.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Laura R, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your review about our sister property, we will inform them about your experience.
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were booked into the Sheraton hotel by our cruise company for one night before crusing the following day , After a long day and 3 flights to get to San Juan we were very tired and looking forward to a good nights rest , After about 20 minutes waiting at the reception area we were checked in and given are room key cards , The only problem we had with the check in was that there was a live band playing which made communication rather difficult , When we entered our room it was larger than expected , The facilities in the room were excellent we had a large screen tv
Tea and coffee making facilities which included starbucks coffee , and the biggest king size bed we have ever seen , We had an excellent nights sleep , In the morning we went to the resturant for breakfast where we had a buffet style breakfast which was awesome , Our waiter who's name was John paul was very helpful, The pure orange juice was one of the nicest we have ever tasted and were refilled as often as required , The buffet consisted of various hot and cold items including freshly prepared pancakes and fresh fruit and yogurts , We where also abble to sellect from a wide variety of teas , The breakfast was one of the best we have had in any hotel .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank David f

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. We look forward to greeting you soon.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Concierge "Juan P Gonzalez" was very friendly, professional and helpful. He helped me decide my itinerary and made phone calls and printed useful maps for me to use. This helped me tremendously as I had been researching for 2 days without being able to make a decision. The entire staff at this hotel are very accommodating, well trained and all problems are speedily resolved; not that I had many. Old San Juan was a 10 min car ride from the hotel, so there are many things for you to do around here. Had a great trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lock on the bathroom door, as all the rooms don't have them. Make sure you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KashuD
MariaVInf, Management Representative at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear KashuD,

We thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. Your recognition to our Concierge Agent, Juan Gonzalez, is much appreciated. It is important to us to know that you felt that we took care of you and all your needs.

Knowing that you had a great trip due to our service, staff, location and amenities, it's satisfying.

We look forward to connect with you in a future occasion.

Best!
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#5 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,440 reviews

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!