“Far away from everything, for business only..”

Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was my 2nd visit to San Juan and decided to allow someone to select the hotel for the trip. BIG Mistake. Sheraton is a cab or bus ride away from all that San Juan is known for. This hotel is for business needs only, yes there is a small poorly maintained casino within and a few high priced restaurants but I was not impressed. Check in was a nightmare, they claim that our reservation was cancelled however I had confirmed the reservation the day before. We ended up in a small room with a smell. The room was not cleaned and someone spilled tanning on the bed, the cleaning lady did not change the covers. Amenities were average, starbucks coffee provided and two bottles of water a day. The ironing board was dorm size, needless to say, we will not stay here again. Wifi was patchy at best and cell phone coverage was poor. I did not receive calls or texts until I reached the end of the property or in a taxi. The one highlight was the pool area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank SSmith30
DominiqueHaacke, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

SSmith30,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We regret to hear our location and facilities were not up to your expectations. We are actually ideally located near the heart of San Juan were we stand between most of the guest points of interest such as Old San Juan, the downtown buisness district, major shopping malls and the Convention Center. We offer taxi service 24 hours a day and for those seeking a more economical way to get around we have a bus stop right in front of the hotel which runs every 15 to 20 minutes.

We have not received previous guest concerns on mobile phone coverage and believe this might be related to your phone carrier.

We hope that this stay did not affect your confidence in our brand an hope that you will still consider us should your travels ever take you back to Puerto Rico.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I have to say that my stay at this hotel was wonderful. The staff could have not been any more courageous. Everyone we encountered were extremely friendly, helpful and always very cheery. Our room was upgraded to a junior deluxe suit on the 4th floor--the same as the pool area. The room had a plasma television, sony ihome and featured coffee and tea from Starbucks. We also received a $75 dollar hotel credit which could have been applied for any food or drinks charged to the room.
The pool area is lovely but do keep in mind that the infinity pool is only 4ft deep and includes a 1 ft and 3 ft jacuzzi pool next to the deck bar.The view from the pool area overlooked the conventional center and cruise dock area; which makes it perfect for cruise stops. The food from the hotel restaurant was amazing along with the service.
The only downside to the hotel is the location, while it is great for business and conferences especially near the conventional center; there is not much around such as nightclubs, shopping, restaurants etc. However, it is fairly close to old san juan via taxi or public bus.
Taxi service from hotel to Old San Juan will be about 15 dollars; to Isla Verde beach $18-20 and to the intl' airport $20-23. You can always take the B21 or 53 to Old San Juan or to Isla verde across the street from hotel (in front of convention center) for .50-.75 cents. We took the bus around 9pm to Old San Juan for dinner and it was empty the whole ride. However, I recommend taking a taxi after 10:00pm the bus stops running and the express takes very long.

I will definitely be returning to this hotel and recommend it to friends and family.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Katherine C
MariaVInf, Management Representative at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Katherine C,

We appreciate your time to share about your recent Sheraton Experience with our future guests. Our associates always look for a way to make the most of our guests' stay to make them feel comfortable and at home. Our amenties are specially thought to be of our guests delight.

Thank you for your suggestions and we definitely look forward to have you with us. Your insight about our Hotel is much appreciated.

Best!

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Great location, great place. Hotel is very nice and the area is ideal. lot things to close by. Places to eat, night life is very good. Didn't eat at the hotel but plenty if places closed a that VERY good. Highly recommended for anyone that's going to visit the island.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yolo26
Reviewed 13 August 2014

After a poor start in a less than clean room, the hotel staff could not have been more efficient and accommodating. As outlined in an earlier review with such a large hotel things may go wrong but the team rallied and more than made up for the first night issue. The platinum club rooms were great and the service and food were very good. I would definitely stay there again and would like to thank the staff for their prompt response and their continued efforts.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2014

While planning a pre-cruise birthday celebration to San Juan, I had the pleasure of speaking directly with several members of the hotel staff. They were wonderful! They have been so kind and generous with their time and knowledge, answering my questions and providing information, especially when I was trying to decide where to stay. From the service provided by the staff before our arrival, I would say this hotel is definitely the place to be. The Club Floor provides a wonderful birthday and first-time visitor experience, the staff told me about the bus that takes you around San Juan, the taxi to the pier [we're also going on a cruise], and where to "grab a cab" at the airport - even going so far as to make tip recommendations. I was truly impressed by their expertise and courtesy in helping me. I know they will be as generous with their knowledge when we arrive as they have already been. Thanks again.

Room Tip: Haven't stayed yet [early September, 2014], but the Club Floor has been very highly recommended...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gloria R
MariaVInf, Management Representative at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Gloria R,

We appreciate your review and thank you for it. Your comment about your recent stay with us and your overall Sheraton Experience is valued.

This is certainly what Sheraton is about...connecting with our guest. Thanks for the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to your future stay with us.

Warm regards!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I checked into the hotel last Sunday evening. I am a platinum and was using suite award upgrades which had been confirmed days earlier. Much to my disappointment the suite I was confirmed in was not available. You might start to think why give an excellent review...things can always go wrong with a business be it wrong room, something broken, WiFi not working great, these things happen, it is all about how a business responds to these things. The hotel staff could not have been more gracious and the next day I was moved into a beautiful suite, an explanation about my previously confirmed room being unavailable was out of the control of the hotel due to previous guest abuse and they did not feel the room was up to standards to have a guest stay in until repairs were made....the hotel is beautiful very well maintained and very quiet, I never heard a neighbor the entire 5 days I was there. It is next to the marina with views of the ocean, and yes the convention center which is quiet this time of year. Every employee I came in contact with genuinely wanted to make sure I was happy with every aspect of my stay. Hats off to Hector and Caesar who really went above and beyond....thank you!!! I was down on business but had some leisure time too and it is easy to get around where you want in San Juan or old San Juan with a taxi...bring cash don't use credit card it will cost you twice. I will stay here again on my visits to San Juan without a second thought.

Room Tip: You really do want to be on the marina or ocean view the city view is not great.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank SunshineinOregon
MariaVInf, Management Representative at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear SunshineinOregon,

Thanks for sharing about your Sheraton Experience. Certainly your comment shows a great satisfaction from your side and tells how our staff makes feel our guests. Our connection and empathy is very important and part of our values. We want our guests to feel comfortable, relaxed and at home.

You will be always more than welcome and we definitely look forward to connecting with you again.

Warmest!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Upon check-in today, and since 5pm, (bad) rock music has blasted from the pool area (local 'private' concert event). From tune ups through now, as I type this... at 1145 pm... we were told this would stop at 11 pm...

We were denied access to the pool / hot tub since the start of this racket, as a 'private event'. Unreal that hotel guests are second class borders while the party rocks on around us. The hotel elevators were filled with people not having room keys, dressed like pimps and hookers. I assume part of the 'private event.' There is nothing private about walls shaking around midnight - we videod this as unreal we could not hear the television over the rock music. The lobby was packed with club music there loud to the point conversatoin was impossible. If you like loud music at all hours, this is your place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!