“A Winner in Old San Juan”
Review of CasaBlanca Hotel

CasaBlanca Hotel
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Virginia Beach, VA
“A Winner in Old San Juan”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Spent one night here prior to a cruise and thoroughly enjoyed the decor and friendly, helpful staff. It was a great venue for exploring Old San Juan. The room was fun, with beautiful furniture and mirrors. Bed was very comfortable. If I were staying for more than a day or two, it would've started feeling a little cramped though. We did not sample the continental breakfast, but on the recommendation of a staff member, found a nearby "diner" with a very satisfactory breakfast - the Cafeteria Mallorca. All in all, a lovely boutique hotel.

Room Tip: No elevator, so request a lower floor if available. We stayed on the 2nd floor, which was great.
1 Thank VAPrgal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We loved Hotel Casablanca. My husband and I stayed here for 1 night on the beginning of our trip, left for the island of Vieques, and then came back for another night. The hotel is decorated wonderfully - with a mixture of contemporary and old-time pieces. The furniture was all wonderful! The gal working the front desk when we arrived the first night was over the top wonderful! The hotel is in a great spot, right on the streets of Old San Juan where there is lots going on. On our 2nd stay there, we learned about the rooftop deck, with stone baths - and that was only because I read about it when looking up other stuff. That would have been nice to know about the first stay, as it has a beautiful view and a nice sitting area. The only negative thing I have to say is that the shower water was cold both times we stayed. Other than that, it was wonderful and I would absolutley go back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
MPLS
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This review gets a very special recommendation. Not only was our room very nice, but the staff made our stay exceptional. For whatever reason, Delta missed getting our luggage on our connecting flight. We are from Minnesota and I spent a good 24 hours wearing winter boots - a lesson to always have a pair of flip-flops in your purse or carry on luggage. But the Casablanca staff, Ricardo, Juan and especially Joyce made our stay amazing. What could have been a very stressful situation, Joyce worked with Delta to get our luggage to the hotel the next day. She was amazing - calm and professional. Thank you, Joyce! Ricardo and Juan both helped to schedule our puddle jumper trip to Vieques - when we woke up in the morning our tickets were booked and taken care of. For a taste of Old San Juan and for service that goes the extra mile, take a look at the Casablanca - it's funky - cool, full of history and has a beautiful rooftop patio that overlooks the historic fort and city. While Delta didn't get our trip off to the right start, Casablanca made up for it in numbers. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask to have a room with a window. Ours did not, but did not effect the quality of our stay any less...
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

You cannot just fall in love with it the moment you walk in. Beautifully designed. Staff has been great and helpful. We came for our wedding anniversary and was given a room we felt was too small for our taste. Within 5 minutes thy upgraded us AT NO COST to a superior suite, climbed up to bring us the keys and were simply pleasant about it.

Reason for missing 5th star; Breakfast that is included is modest, so if you need a big one may need to order from menu and pay for that. Also no elevator, so if you have a problem with climbing stairs this place is not or you.

Location can't be better. Right in the middle of it all; stores, restaurants, clubs....just our perfect spot. We'll come back for sure!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
San Juan, null, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This is a very well decorated boutique hotel in the perfect OSJ location; I advise any would-be tourists to PR that, if you want to explore Old San Juan, do NOT stay in the bigger Condado-area hotels (the Ritz, la Concha, etc) since the taxi rides to Old San Juan are super expensive and add up quickly. That being said, finding affordable and good hotel in OSJ is difficult, but well worth it if you really want to explore the city to its fullest.
Our room was small but perfect for us (a couple), with a comfy bed and linens, and enough storage for our stuff. The bathroom was small, but pretty. Very clean all around. Our room didn't have windows that faced to the exterior, but this was good for us as we know OSJ is very noisy at night and we go to bed early, but if you're more into the hustle and bustle of the city then pick a balcony room.
The workers here were all very friendly and helpful.
My only complaint was that the water temperature wasn't very stable; lukewarm one minute, the next scalding, then lukewarm. The hotel also needs some new paint here and there. Other than that, I loved the entire hotel, we're planning on staying there again very soon.
We didn't have breakfast here, we went to the nearby Caficultura (which is the best breakfast place in PR, in my opinion), so I can't comment on that.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs so pick a lower level room if you don't want to lug your stuff up. Upstairs terr...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 3 May 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Casa Blanca hotel for 2 nights after our 7-night cruise out of San Juan. We wanted to stay in Old San Juan (since we wouldn't have a car) and this hotel was perfect for that! We were right downtown, within walking distance to everything. We had an interior room on the 2nd floor (2G) that had a small window overlooking the lobby area. The room wasn't terribly big but we weren't planning on spending much time in it. The price was decent for the area (other hotels were $150+ a night) and overall, the hotel was nice. We read a lot of reviews about nights being noisy from bars on the street but we had no problem with that (we were in the middle of the building). There is no elevator, so keep that in mind as you pick your room while making a reservation - the second floor could technically be called the third floor. Also, the included breakfast was light (just toast, butter/jelly, coffee and tea), but there was a menu of other items for purchase if you so desire (between $6-10).

Room Tip: No elevator, so pick wisely when choosing a room.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We stayed at the Hotel CasaBlanca for 2 nights and we rented 3 rooms being that there was 5 of us. We were looking for a place for around $100 that was cute and close (and it was super super super hard to find...most places were scuzzy or priced more like $250 per night). Which made it an easy choice despite knowing that their might be some negatives (such as no elevator or outside windows on our rooms). We told everyone to pack light (and I even just took out what I needed from my luggage and left the rest in the car so I didn't have to haul it up the stairs.

The hotel was pretty much in the center of everything so having a car wasn't needed at all there is a great trolly you can jump on and off that is free that takes you up and down the roads) It was a great base spot for checking out Old San Juan. It is nicely decorated and we had helpful services the whole time.

The three rooms...I loved my room (even with out a window). My brother and his GF loathed their room and should have asked to get moved (but didn't). My parents also liked their room. So each room at the hotel is a little different (including the layout of the bed and if the shower is in the bedroom or in the bathroom. My room was right against the staircase and it was easy to hear through the walls when people were hauling their luggage up and down the stairs but that was easy for me to let go. My brother and his GF felt trapped in their room. They had a room that had a window overlooking the lobby (you can't see out the windows or in...they have tinted glass). My parents stayed down the hall from me and they had one of the bedrooms with the shower in the room (odd but they were fine with it). They have great AC in the inside rooms. You should note if your sensitive to scents that the inside rooms are scented (I think because they don't get much air flow). I loved my bed and so did my parents. My brother and the GF thought that every time they rolled over that the bed creaked so loudly that they tried not to move at all.

The complimentary breakfast is great for coffee drinkers but other than that not much is included. Their is a Starbucks just down the street if that matters (my mom was excited). We did enjoy some hanging out on the rooftop...I still think it might have been fun to try out one of the tubs but no one else on the trip was game haha...the upstairs is a nice bonus (and we were glad to spend some time up there) but it is sorta old reject furniture kinda of looking up there.

There has been a lot of talk about the bathrooms. Yep they are tight and yep there isn't much room near the counter for make up or stuff. That was fine...we didn't mind it at all. The one thing that was confusing to some (I had read reviews but forgot to mention it to my travel companions) is that the hot and cold is reversed in the shower.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor. That seemed good. I would stay on the side closest to the stairway...we li...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family