“One night post cruise stay”
Review of CasaBlanca Hotel

CasaBlanca Hotel
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at Casablanca hotel for one night following our cruise. We are both in our mid twenties. After disembarkation, we walked with our luggage to Calle Fortaleza( one of the nicest streets in old San Juan), where the hotel is located. This took less than 15 minutes, even with our luggage and was quite enjoyable! I was thrilled with the location! This was my third time to San Juan and have previously stayed at La Concha in Condado, I was so happy to finally be staying in old San Juan, its a way more happening area during the day and of course at night.

Casablanca hotel is a beautiful, old building that you can tell has been really well looked after. I was impressed before I had even stepped inside!I imagine not having an elevator may negatively impact someone's experience but it didn't bother us. An employee helped us with our bags which was nice because there are a lot of stairs. Every employee we encountered was very professional and friendly.

I have ambivalent feelings towards the room. We stayed in 2E. I loved it's style! From the lamps to the high wardrobe, the room had a unique style that was to my liking. Icy cool AC was also a plus. However my favorite part was the shower! You can walk right into it from the bedroom with a curtain available for privacy; the bathroom was a separate room with a door. Our room was definitely made for couples and not friends lol
I didn't like the bedding in the room. The sheets were not soft and pillows were synthetic which I find very uncomfortable. I would suggest to the hotel to switch to goose down. The matress also felt old and stiff. There also was no chair/recliner in the room. Every hotel room regardless of size should have another place to sit besides the bed. This didn't bother me too much because we were out most of the time, but there are times I like to just sit back, relax and read after a busy day and I wouldn't have been able to do that in our room.

I would really rate this hotel a 3.5. With upgraded linens, pillows and additional furniture it would be a solid 4. However, 3.5 is not possible so i feel it's worthy to round up the 4. The building itself I really appreciated, location was superb, very nice employees and just being able to share a special day with my wife in OSJ at a very reasonable price are all reasons I would recommend the hotel to other travelers.

2  Thank Bosgeorge

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We enjoyed ourselves here. We thought the place had a lot of character and loved the architecture. The perfect place to stay if you are planning to explore OSJ for a day or two. Our room was small, but it was pretty typical of a city hotel room in size! Unfortunately, we left our Kindle in the room, and we have not gotten it back.

Room Tip: Our interior room was nice - though we didn't have a window it was quiet and allowed us to have...
Reviewed 24 March 2014

If you are used to/looking for a typical chain hotel, then this is not the place for you. But if you are more interested in staying in a lovely little hotel that has loads of character and excellent service, then this is for you. Hotel Casablanca is right in the middle of Old San Juan (a great location), the hotel decor and rooms are cute (not huge, but that is the nature of buildings from that era) and the service is great. Very friendly and thoughtful: umbrellas by the door in case it rains, beach towels you can borrow to go to the beach (Playa Escambron is great) or to use one of the tubs on the terrace, etc. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor. Not too many stairs, and I didn't find the AC to be a problem.
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Very pretty & a little different, with bright colors & big chandeliers. My room was on the 4th floor (3 full flights of stairs), but it was worth it. It was an interior room, which was a little different, but it had something like a window that had a glow on the other side during the day, so I didn't feel closed in. Bathroom was small but so pretty. The staff was really friendly and very helpful. Central location.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I don't know what rooms they give everyone else but we must have gotten the worst room in the place. Barely had enough room to walk around the bed, which was hard and the sheets/comforter was seemed really old and cheap, and the bathroom was tiny. The pillows were hard and flat. They put us on the 5th floor and didn't warn us that they have no elevator! The room was furnished with really old furniture (not antique, just old) and had none of the nice touches they show in their pictures. No room in the bathroom for anything more than a couple small items. Thankfully we only had an overnight stay otherwise I would have found another hotel. Also be warned the cruise ships are only 3 blocks away and sometimes leave in the middle of the night. They blow their horns when they depart so be prepared. The one person working at the front desk did offer to bring up our luggage but with the line of other people waiting to check in and the never ending phone calls, I doubt he would have made it within a few hours of our arrival. Also the roof deck does not look nearly as nice as the pictures. More desolate than charming and inviting. We also had a great view of the fort and cruise ships if you could overlook the other rooftops full of debris and garbage. I wish I'd had the same experience as others but I guess we got the worst room in the hotel. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 5G. Can't say much for the others but we basically were given a broom cl...
2  Thank pongo2001
Joyce O, Manager at CasaBlanca Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2015

Hello Pongo2001,

Thank you so much for letting us know about your concerns about room 5G, thanks to you this room got an upgrade and it is now one of the favorites in the Hotel! It got an expansion and views to both the Fort and the Cruise ports as well as a small desk and closet.

We hope you give us a second chance! Disclaimer: since all our rooms are different we encourage you to talk to our front desk associate if anything is wrong or if you wish to change rooms during your stay. We will do our best to better accommodate you.

Best regards,
Joyce

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Had the trip of our lives to Puerto Rico and were happy to spend 5 nights at this quirky hotel in San Juan at the end of it. This place is very close to the good restaurants, convenient to the fort San Cristobal, and if you go to the left out the door you are in the shopping area. The lack of an elevator would make this place difficult for anyone with a lot of luggage, but we were lucky to stay on the 2nd floor so it wasn't so much of an issue getting up and down. Also, the soaking tubs on the roof are exactly that - bathtubs you sit in and soak in the sun. My wife had some kind of fantastical notion of a hot tub and they are definitely not that.

Room Tip: Get a room on a lower level since there aren't any elevators and the rooftop amenities aren'...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frank E
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had made a reservation for the CasaBlanca and when we arrived we found out the reservstion was for the next day. Unfortunately we were flying out the next day so could not stay for the day we had booked. Cynthia was on the desk. She was just fabulous. The CasaBlanca was fully booked for that day. She called several other hotels in the area and was able to get us a room at one of them. She also told us that the CasaBlanca would not charge us for the reservation we had made through Hotels.com and tried to contact them to make sure we received a refund. Unfortunately she was put on hold and was unable to get through. We left her still trying. We popped in later that day to see how she had made out. She had not been able to get through. Cynthia did however recommend a couple of restaurants and show us on a map how to get there. We stopped in the next day just before we left for the airport, Cynthia was not on duty but had left info for the person on the desk about us. Incredible service considering we didn't actually stay there. We were able to get through to Hotels.com when we got home. Told them our story, they verified with the CasaBlanca staff and we received a full refund.
We are looking forward to our next trip to San Juan and will absolutely be staying at the CasaBlanca.

1  Thank Traveler1775