“Small room, but good location”
Review of CasaBlanca Hotel

CasaBlanca Hotel
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We enjoyed the location of this hotel, right in the center of Old San Juan. Old San Juan was beautiful. We enjoyed being in walking distance to great restaurants and sightseeing sights. We spent 5 nights at this hotel. It was lovely. The room was a little small for us, the bathroom was also small.

The hotel was a bit old. We went during high season (around January of 2014) when it was winter time in Philly, therefore it was quite pricey for us, but comparably good value for the area. The hotel staffs were very friendly and helpful.

Old San Juan were beautiful, the beach, the water really nice. We loved the beautiful blue Carribean sky. We would definitely come back to San Juan and Casablanca hotel if the price is a bit lower for us.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly T

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Honestly, this place is just simply great. We walked in with a fairly strange situation - we have a tandem bicycle that we needed to break down and pack up. And it was raining. Well, Miguel brought us in, set us up, took care of us...talk about above and beyond service. And the woman the next morning (so sorry I didn't get her name) was just as helpful with our luggage, taxi and boarding passes.

The hotel looks as good as the professional web photos (how often can you say that?) and they appear to be making constant improvements. I hate to be redundant, but character, charm, lovely - all great words to describe the place.

Comfy and efficient rooms. Nice mattress, linens and shower amenities. Nothing elaborate, but we didn't ride our bike around Puerto Rico for the hotel rooms anyway!

Central location but not noisy at all.

Really a gem.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erindy
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Wonderful hotel with a lot of character and charm. Excellent location and helpful staff. The restaurant on the first floor served a pretty good breakfast. The roof top while had a great view was disheveled. Also, perhaps it's just me but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of roof top soaking tubs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tzbo
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We enjoyed this hotel in the heart of Old San Juan very much. The staff was friendly and the rooms and decor were beautiful. Loved the movie Casablanca playing on the back wall! In the morning, we had coffee downstairs in the bar area and had great conversation with our barista.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TamarindaL
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights here on our way home after 2 weeks on a yacht. Just about everything was lovely, especially the location. Old San Juan was captivating, a special place to wander round.
Our room was very nice but the floor was a little grubby.
There was what looked like a convivial bar area on the ground floor, but I don't know if it was just at that time, but we never actually saw it open. It would have been good to try a drink there.
There were two outstanding aspects for us.
The first were the 5 stone baths on the roof. What a place to sit and sip a cold beer.
The second were the staff. I can't pick any single person out as the whole team that we came across were universally helpful, cheerful and friendly. They were the best hotel team we have found. Thank you all very much.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank RogerSarginson
Reviewed 9 May 2014

First of all I was very impressed by the Hotel capturing the spirit of Old San Juan from the moment of check in to check out. When I travel I like to embrace the culture of the place I am visiting and CasaBlanca Hotel made it happen. It has a sense of old world elegance with a touch of trendy and great choice of colors. Everyone was so warm, friendly and professional when I arrived with my fiance to celebrate our anniversary.

Anna- she was amazing! the moment she checked us in she was so informative about Old San Juan. She recommenced great places for us to visit. We let her know that we were interested in going to the Bio Bay and she set everything up for us and had instructions on how to arrive the next day. She was very thorough and detailed with all our requests. Our flight arrived a bit early ( we got to the hotel around 1pm) and we figured our room would not be available to check in but Anna told me to just give her 15 minutes and she would have the room ready. We decided to check in and go have some lunch. By the time we came back from the room our keys were ready and bags were waiting for us in room 2A (I would mention the bellman but I didnt get his name he was also very friendly).

Miguel- His personality is bursting at the seams! Usually me and my fiance' would arrive late to the hotel after running around Puerto Rico and he would recommend some good places for us to eat late and really good local spots for us to try and experience. We explained we didn't want "tourist" food places but some real authentic locations and he let us know all the great places.

Cindy - She was also very helpful with our bio bay reservation and storing our bags after checkout. Unfortunately the day of our checkout we were woken up by construction going on next door with loud hammering and tools but she quickly resolved the issue as soon as we called the front desk.

The tubs at the top of hotel was a great place to just relax and take in the views. We loved standing out on the terrace and feeling the energy of Old San Juan.

The only part that seemed to be a miscommunication maybe was with the Romantic Package that I didnt know my fiance was E-mailing the hotel back and forth and ultinmatly decided not to do it without me knowlege and I called the hotel inquiring about it without my fiances knowlege but decided to decline. Then the night of our anniversary they set up the romantic package in our room without our knowledge so it was a surprise to the both of us because we discussed passing on it. It was still very beautiful and made our trip better. I was just a bit disappointing when my fiance told me they charged us for 2 packages instead of 1. Although Cindy did say she would look into taking one off, so I did appreciate that.

with everything said and done I loved my experience in Puerto Rico and I am going to return. Honestly I do not see myself staying anywhere else but in this hotel. I loved it and they played a part in my anniversary being one to remember.

Room Tip: Room 2A is a great choice!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend two wonderful, non-consecutive nights at Casablanca this April. We’re two fairly young, value-conscious travelers, and we’re always interested in delving into what makes a specific destination special. Our visit to Puerto Rico included a late night flight into LMM, a trip out to Vieques, and a return to Old San Juan for touring and food. We selected Casablanca based on location (in Old Town) and insights from Tripadvisor. We were interested in an affordable boutique hotel in Old Town, rather than a beachfront resort to the east.

Before we even arrived in Puerto Rico, the friendly friendly staff at Casablanca made every contact a delight. We called for help rearranging some of our booking details, and they cheerily made it work. When we realized we’d need help getting to the ferry in Fajardo, Juan reached out to a friend of the hotel (Isa) to get us a private taxi.

Upon arrival at Casablanca - well past 10pm - Miguel was there at the desk to greet us. He gave us a personalized run-down of all the best restaurants and cafes for vegetarian folks (like us). Upon realizing that the kitchens at most would have already closed, he helped make arrangements for a special meal from the in house chef. (It was among the most delicious we had over the course of our trip!)

We put our things upstairs and dined in the beautiful lobby space. Each wall and alcove conveyed eclectic yet organized style, and our room perfectly matched it. Everything about the Casablanca was clean, colorful, and inviting. One got the sense that each room was a distinct decorating project, rather than just another copy of the one beside it.

We slept peacefully in a quiet room on the second floor. Though it was near the back of the building and without its own window, in the morning the room was filled with sun thanks to a substantial frosted skylight. We grabbed a light breakfast at a cafe two blocks away before catching our Fajardo-bound taxi. We later called from Vieques to make more taxi plans, and Cynthia helped assure all was properly scheduled.

When we returned to San Juan a few days later, we met Joyce, one of Casablanca’s two owners. It was a weekday morning and the hotel was humming with a flurry of activity. As carpenters worked on fixtures and painters freshened the walls, Joyce described an array of improvements she and her partner had planned to make the hotel all the more inviting for its guests. It was clear they were driven to realize a still-growing vision for what Casablanca could be. It also became evident that their adaptations were in part propelled by welcome feedback supplied by the Tripadvisor community. It was a delight to see how much personal love and energy was being invested in this special hotel.

We spent most of the rest of the day touring Old Town. For this, Casablanca could not have been better positioned. We popped back in in the early evening, recuperated a bit, the popped back out for dinner and drinks. That night, we slept in a gorgeous suite at the front of the building. Though we didn’t take too much advantage, it featured a private balcony seating space that overlooked the street below. The bed was comfy and clean, and the shower was warm and reliable.

For the wonderful staff, the ideal location, and all the charming details, Casablanca gets our most enthusiastic recommendation. We’d love to return, if only to see how it continues to evolve in the months and years to come. Thanks to everyone there for a terrific visit!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple