“Amazing and Beautiful Town”
Review of Old San Juan

Ranked #1 of 206 things to do in San Juan
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Consisting of 400 restored buildings from the 16th- and 17th-century Spanish colonial period, this area in San Juan is steeped in history with an old-world and romantic European charm.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've been to Old San Juan several times before, and it has always been one of my favorite places to visit. There is so much history to discover on every street. The old buildings, shops, and restaurants are such a part of it's charm that make want to explore for as long as you can. It is very walkable, and there is such a variety of things to do, even in a short period of time, such as my last visit, that was a day before my cruise departed. That was just a few days before Hurricane Irma hit, and we returned just after. It is my favorite cruise departure cities. The town has heart, and you can feel it when you meet people that live there. We were able to meet several people from Puerto Rico while on our cruise and they were extremly worried about what they might find when we returned. Even after Maria I've heard that it has recovered as well as could be expected. Every place and street that we explored, we always felt safe, and didn't have any cause to worry. I can not wait to return in the near future and I always encourage people to go visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (14,356)
All reviews
in 131 reviews
"lots of history"
in 166 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Old San Juan is a great place to visit. A lot of history. People are friendly and you will never run out of things to do. That being said, I found an incredible amount of homeless people passed out, sleeping on curbs, etc. What is even worse is when we offered them food, they turned it down. Even when we bought it just for them. Most of them want money. This has gotten way out of hand. The city Mayor should do something to solve this.
The trolley that used to run quite often now runs every 45 minutes to an hour. It is better to pay for an uber or lyft. They can also take you to the airport but when we went they were not able to pick up passengers from the airport yet.
People are incredibly friendly and go out of their way, 90% of the time for you. From the simple ice cream cart vendor to the hotel managers.
The food in Puerto Rico is great everywhere. don't waste your money going to expensive places. Not worth it. Also remember that they are not exactly prompt or fast with your food. Expect your food to take an extra 20 minutes or so. On the plus side, the food is worth the wait on most places. As a rule of thumb, avoid restaurants around the Morro Castle. It cost more. Try the restaurants around the cruise ports instead. Artisans in Old San Juan are there only when cruise ships come in. They will be all around Plaza Colon. Carefully check what you buy. Some of these say they are Puerto Rican Artisans but you can see labels saying "made in Taiwan". I also recommend the plaza the las palomas. Stand still with your arms spread and doves will come and stand on them.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

If you like to visit historically charming cities, then, OSJ is a must for your to-do do list. OSJ is full of history, art, and charm at literally every corner. It is now one of my favorite cities to visit.

The picturesque narrow cobblestone streets are lined with vibrantly colored homes, shops and restaurants. I stayed in a bed and breakfast (Casa Sol) which was conveniently located in the heart of everything. Each day took me for a casual jaunt to visit historic forts, churches and other scenery. The people are friendly, the food scene is great, and the music is lively.

PROS: historic, great food, friendly people, very easy to walk to everything

CONS: the cruise ships visit frequently and it can get crowded on certain days during the times a few shops in port.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We toured Old San Juan via Segway’s. It was perfect to gain an understanding of the history of this city. It’s on a hill, so the Segway helped! Lots of stores located here but don’t miss the history!!!