“Great trip, ugly ending”
Review of Hotel El Convento

Hotel El Convento
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We reserved two nights over Xmas at the El Convento through Bookit. Due to illness, we had to cancel one of the nights, which Bookit was happy to do with no cancellation fee. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that Bookit had cancelled both nights and we had no reservation at all. This was the day after Xmas and San Juan was crowded with tourists. Although we had reserved a deluxe room, the only accommodation remaining was a standard room, which we were grateful to get. The staff at the El Convento charged our credit card and confirmed multiple times that Bookit had not paid the hotel a dime for our reservation. However, they would not confirm this in writing. Although we never cancelled our reservation at the El Convento, Bookit still charged us for one night in a deluxe room plus $19.95 cancellation fee for a total of $520.44. As soon as we got home, we emailed Bookit to dispute this charge. They never responded. For five months we've been disputing this charge with our American Express card. The Amex rep told us that Bookit and El Convento now say that Bookit paid for our room. However, Bookit has not had the courtesy to respond to multiple phone calls and neither has the hotel. I phoned Talana at El Convento four times and requested an email with proof of payment. She told me their computer was down and they would send proof as soon as it was "fixed." I also asked to talk to her supervisor, Osvalvo Soler, and she assured me he would call. This was three weeks ago and I haven't had the courtesy of a response. Both the El Convento and Bookit have lied to us numerous times and have blocked resolution of our dispute. Very disappointing and sordid to be lied to so blatantly and treated with no respect or consideration by either party.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
12  Thank BlackbirdFly
EROSA, General Manager at Hotel El Convento, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Dear Mr. Loeb,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. It saddens me to learn that an information misunderstanding between an online travel agency and our hotel caused problems with your reservation upon arrival. There is no reason why this issue was not resolved immediately by our staff and I want to make myself available to assist you.

On the other hand, I am glad to know that upon arrival our guest services staff was quick to provide you with a room and I hope that you enjoyed your stay while you were in Puerto Rico.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience and I will gladly resolve this matter immediately.

Efrain Rosa
erosa@elconvento.com
787-505-3780

There are newer reviews for Hotel El Convento

Reviewed 9 June 2011

The food and staff within this facility seem very nice. I am extremely unhappy with the party in the pizza joint directly below my room. The walls are vibrating and there is no excape. I contacted the front desk at 8:00 PM asking about the frequency of the event and when it would end. I was told the party was going to end at 12:00 AM, but I am still writing this now (2:00 AM). I am not certain if I am going to remain within this hotel for the remainder of my trip, but no other rooms are available in this hotel this evening.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank BigDaddy083
EROSA, General Manager at Hotel El Convento, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Dear guest,

My name is Efrain Rosa and I manage Hotel EL Convento. I am glad to learn that you liked our hotel and deeply regret that the music at the restaurant went on for so long. We have an excellent relationship with the restaurant owners and I know that they have great care for the hotel and our guests as well. I was unaware of your personal situation and would like to know if you spoke to a manager the following day and if the problem was resolved to your satisfaction. Please contact me at your convenience so that I can properly address this issue.

Best regards,

Efrain Rosa
erosa@elconvento.com
787-505-3780

Reviewed 7 June 2011

Unfortunately we only stayed at ths hotel for one night. Not long enough! It was truly amazing. We called from another locaation in PR for a last minute reservation. We were given a wonderful room with a view of the Cathedral and Piazza. The room was furnished beautifully. The staff was Superior. They also let us use their sister property La Concha for some beach time. That hotel was really great as well. Love the ambiance at both properties. Just perfect! No complaints!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank las0311
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We decided on El Convento for honeymoon and loved every minute of our stay. The service is absolutely fantastic and I really enjoyed speaking personally with the general manager at one of the nightly wine receptions, a must-do. The rooms are cleans and simple, but allow you to relish in their deep history dating back hundreds of years. The staffs welcoming and we enjoyed getting to know many over the course of our trip. The guests staying at El Convento are well aware of the rich history surrounding them and relish in the Nispero tree in the courtyard. My husband and I will surely be back for a second trip and thank all the staff whom have made this trip an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank edirun99
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Retired couple. Saved for this vacation and were not disappointed. Hotel El Convento is within easy walking distance of all of the tourist attractions. There are lots of wonderful restaurant choices nearby from inexpensive to upscale. Many quaint bars.
We arrived later in the evening and enjoyed food and drinks at the tapas bar in the hotel. The beautiful outdoor courtyard has nice bar and dining as well. The evening wine and cheese reception we looked forward to for a pleasant, relaxing time. Although the hotel doesn't offer concierge service the front desk personnel handled all of our requests graciously and efficiently, from where to eat breakfast closeby to making dinner reservations for us.
We enjoyed walking in old San Juan to shops, toured the Governor's Mansion, and visited the forts.
Hotel El Convento has much beauty, charm, reflecting the historical setting of the old San Juan area. Our room was very clean with lovely furnishings. Fifth floor location with a pretty view of the harbor from two large picture windows. Near the pool patio but we didn't find that fact to be obtrusive in any way.
Restaurants we tried in the area and would recommend are Bombonera for breakfast. Jibarito is great place for Puerto Rican food. Many locals there. Service is good but don't go if you're in a hurry. Carly's for a special dinner and soft jazz entertainment in the evening. Friendly and accomodating bartender.
Already planning a trip back to San Juan and will most definitely return to the Hotel El Convento.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bobbiec29
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I loved El Convento. We arrived, somewhat bedraggled after a trek through the rainforest, at about 6:30 p.m. After checking us in, the manager on duty urged us to hurry before we missed the (free!) wine and cheese reception on the third floor. We looked somewhat dubious because of our attire, and she reassured us that we could go as we were. So we did.

I thought the reception (held daily) was lovely, Because we arrived only a few minutes before it ended, the woman running it poured us some additional wine. That level of service was continued throughout our stay.

The room was spacious and very clean. The door opened onto a balcony overlooking the El Convento's interior courtyard. (I think all of the rooms have this feature). We sat there in the mornings drinking coffee and planning our day. Every staff member that passed smiled and said "good morning".

We ate at the tapas restaurant on our first night there. The champagne sangria was wonderful, and the food was very good. Again, the service was exceptional.

I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kateau
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We spent our last 2 days in Old San Juan walking around town and seeing as much as we could. We stayed at the Hotel El Convento. We also visited El Morro and San Cristobal forts in Old San Juan on our last day of the vacation. El Convento is the coolest place to stay in Old San Juan with the roof top pool and an awesome view of the old church across the street. It has a bar 5 steps out the side entrance where the bar doesn't close until 7am. My wife and I do a lot of Caribbean travels and welcome any questions on our facebook page. We also stayed at the Rio Mar and Gran/Sol Melia outside San Juan. Find us on facebook to check out some great photos and videos. You can friend me at Jeremy Gearries or join our travel fun page at Destinations Direct.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
#19 of 47 in San Juan
Olive Boutique Hotel
Olive Boutique Hotel
#4 of 47 in San Juan

Been to Hotel El Convento? Share your experiences!