“Nice Hotel in a Great Location.”
Review of Hotel El Convento

Hotel El Convento
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Hotel El Convento is unique in it's own way. The history of it definitely intrigued me.

The area in which is located is great. Walking distance to everything; no need for a taxi. Restaurants that they had to offer were good and it's atmosphere is nice.

My room was nice, had a great view but there was an issue with cleanliness. Seems as though the staff only cleaned the surface. If it considers itself to be a luxury hotel, staff should definitely be more thorough.

I had an issue with an iron which stained my $300 dress shirt and they did nothing but bring me another broken iron. Wasn't pleased at all.

If you seek a nice pool that you can swim in, look elsewhere. Pool is really small and jacuzzi needs some work but the view was nice.

Reviewed 29 June 2011

After reading all of the reviews for this hotel I was genuinely excited to stay here. Unfortunately, it did not live up to the hype.
First the pros:
- Location is great if you want to spend time on Old San Juan.
- The fact that this is an old convent is really cool.
- The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Next the cons:
- As mentioned above, the fact that this is such an old building and an old convent is really neat and part of the reason I chose this hotel, but you have to continue to remind yourself of this during your stay. I felt as though they did not highlight the history of the building enough.
- The gates at every floor- if you leave your key with your husband by accident ... forget it! There are gates at EVERY floor to unlock. I know it is for security, but it seemed more of an inconvenience than anything.
- The terrace patio was a nice thought, but they missed the mark- there is no view what-so-ever of this beautiful city from anywhere on the property.

If you want a convenient hotel- clean and comfortable, this is the place for you. It is truly the only place worth staying in Old San Juan. But keep your expectations in check- it is an average hotel with average accommodations.

3  Thank veganista
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The ambience of this 350 year old small boutiquey hotel was simply wonderful. This hotel was originally a convent for Nun's, then it turned into a brothel, at one time it was event owned by the Woolworths company. A very interesting history indeed. But the Spanish archeticture, old world rooms, courtyard and Tapas bar upstairs was really inviting . The food was DELICIOUS! in the courtyard they served the best latte's and the Tapa's bar had a buzz of it's own, a wonderful array of food and spirits with gorgeous waiters to wait on you.
The hotel offers complimentary wine and cheese in the evening..... an absolutely wonderful selection of both, there is nothing average about this hotel and their accomodations. The people at the front desk couldn't have been more gracious and accomodating. Lovely atmosphere in every way. There is a tiny pool on the roof, there is a nice view of the city as well as the ability to hear the singing mass ( on Sunday's) at the histoically old Catholic church which is located right next to the hotel. I don't think that the location could be any better....a lovely well appointment hotel filled with history, beauty, and charm. However don't expect any grand veiws from your room. All the warmth and ambience lives within the courtyard and restaurant. I would return to old San Juan just to stay at this hotel. We were treated like VIP's.
Shopping, that is good shopping, is just a stones throw from the hotel, the church across the street and the old Fort is just a couple of blocks up the street. This is a MUST experience if you travel to San Juan, Puerto Rico, even if it's just for a meal, eat in the courtyard. Fabulous food and service and hospitality in every way. Oh and on Friday nights there is Flamenco music and dancing just across the walkway from the hotel.
Enjoy! :-)

Room Tip: Our room was large and had a old world feel to it.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arizonagirl56
Reviewed 24 June 2011

We stayed at El Convento for 3 nights in May and we were thoroughly pleased!! The hotel was beautiful, our room was spacious and well appointed and the staff were very pleasant. The hotel is built around a courtyard so once you walk out of your room, you feel like you are in a tropical garden although you are still indoors. We had tapas at El Picateo and Pizza at Pizza e Birra. Both were very good. The location was close to all of the sites and shopping (Coach Outlet is on the corner). Don't believe what you have read on other sites, San Juan is very, very safe. If I am to visit San Juan again, I will go back to El Convento.

Room Tip: We booked through the Hotel's site
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fralfred
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Room was fantastic, jacuzzi was great. Staff was friendly & helpful. Everything was wonderful. We loved Old San Juan & would definitely stay again. The complimentary wine reception is definitely worth it. Great wines & great cheeses! Only con: pool was really small. but other than that, its a WONDERFUL place for couples & families alike!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank selenac9
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We reserved two nights over Xmas at the El Convento through Bookit. Due to illness, we had to cancel one of the nights, which Bookit was happy to do with no cancellation fee. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that Bookit had cancelled both nights and we had no reservation at all. This was the day after Xmas and San Juan was crowded with tourists. Although we had reserved a deluxe room, the only accommodation remaining was a standard room, which we were grateful to get. The staff at the El Convento charged our credit card and confirmed multiple times that Bookit had not paid the hotel a dime for our reservation. However, they would not confirm this in writing. Although we never cancelled our reservation at the El Convento, Bookit still charged us for one night in a deluxe room plus $19.95 cancellation fee for a total of $520.44. As soon as we got home, we emailed Bookit to dispute this charge. They never responded. For five months we've been disputing this charge with our American Express card. The Amex rep told us that Bookit and El Convento now say that Bookit paid for our room. However, Bookit has not had the courtesy to respond to multiple phone calls and neither has the hotel. I phoned Talana at El Convento four times and requested an email with proof of payment. She told me their computer was down and they would send proof as soon as it was "fixed." I also asked to talk to her supervisor, Osvalvo Soler, and she assured me he would call. This was three weeks ago and I haven't had the courtesy of a response. Both the El Convento and Bookit have lied to us numerous times and have blocked resolution of our dispute. Very disappointing and sordid to be lied to so blatantly and treated with no respect or consideration by either party.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
12  Thank BlackbirdFly
EROSA, General Manager at Hotel El Convento, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Dear Mr. Loeb,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. It saddens me to learn that an information misunderstanding between an online travel agency and our hotel caused problems with your reservation upon arrival. There is no reason why this issue was not resolved immediately by our staff and I want to make myself available to assist you.

On the other hand, I am glad to know that upon arrival our guest services staff was quick to provide you with a room and I hope that you enjoyed your stay while you were in Puerto Rico.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience and I will gladly resolve this matter immediately.

Efrain Rosa
erosa@elconvento.com
787-505-3780

Reviewed 9 June 2011

The food and staff within this facility seem very nice. I am extremely unhappy with the party in the pizza joint directly below my room. The walls are vibrating and there is no excape. I contacted the front desk at 8:00 PM asking about the frequency of the event and when it would end. I was told the party was going to end at 12:00 AM, but I am still writing this now (2:00 AM). I am not certain if I am going to remain within this hotel for the remainder of my trip, but no other rooms are available in this hotel this evening.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
11  Thank BigDaddy083
EROSA, General Manager at Hotel El Convento, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Dear guest,

My name is Efrain Rosa and I manage Hotel EL Convento. I am glad to learn that you liked our hotel and deeply regret that the music at the restaurant went on for so long. We have an excellent relationship with the restaurant owners and I know that they have great care for the hotel and our guests as well. I was unaware of your personal situation and would like to know if you spoke to a manager the following day and if the problem was resolved to your satisfaction. Please contact me at your convenience so that I can properly address this issue.

Best regards,