“Hotel El Convento knows how to make guests happy”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel El Convento

Hotel El Convento
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Hershey, Pennsylvania, United States
“Hotel El Convento knows how to make guests happy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I stay in many hotels, and I am impressed with the ability of the staff at Hotel El Convento to make the guests really feel welcome. They all go out of their way to truly accommodate the guests. A beautiful hotel. The plunge pool is an extra plus after a hot day of touring Old Town. The restaurant is excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

Overall we enjoyed this lovely historic hotel with excellent customer service and Old San Juan charm. The wine and cheese reception @ 6pm is not to be missed and a great way to meet fellow travelers. Get there right at six as is very popular. This little pool on the rooftop is a lovely quiet retreat. Enjoyed the Mojitos and the tapas bar. The main restaurant not so much. Stayed in room510 and had quiet nights with the sound proof door. The only downside if you like freezing cold air at night you may be disappointed. The room has a hard time dropping below 75-73 degrees. The bed is a little hard but the room quaint and the views nice. The staff is very friendly. Get a letter and go to the Isle Verde sister hotel for free and enjoy beautiful beach and nice pool.

• Stayed February 2013
American Canyon, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Just got back from our stay at El Convento Hotel in Old San Juan and I know why its on of the 25 best small hotels in the world. This hotel is all about old school service and charm. In the heart of Old San Juan, and just walking distance from all the good historic stops, great shopping and really good restaurants. The hotel food is really well done and the best Tapa's bar in San Juan is part of the hotel. Special sound proof doors have been added so the rooms are quiet. Small rooftop pool and hot tub, but if you want a beach to sit at you can go to sister hotels Marriot Courtyard or La Concha. Everything about this hotel is just "First Class" all the way!!. I am from Puerto RIco and this is my new hotel for each trip I make back home. We already making plans for out next stay at El Concento.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jasper, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

Average at best. No air conditioner because it was controlled by a motion detector which switched off the air whenever we left room or were just asleep! Great ambiance, great location. Poor quality because we paid top dollar $500 per night after taxes!

Room Tip: Ask for any floor except top (5th) because a/c turns off when not in room. The air conditioner is at...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lynn3400
EROSA, General Manager at Hotel El Convento, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear Lynn3400,

Thank you for contacting me and given me the opportunity to make this situation right. After reading your review, we verified every room on the fith floor and found only one room that had problems with the thermostat as opposed the entire floor. Still I am bringing an expert on the AC systems who will verified every room in order to ensure that this is not an issue in any of our other rooms. Please feel free contact me at your convenience as I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you and perhaps offset any ill feelings towards our hotel. I can assure you that our entire staff works really hard to maintain a positive experience for our guests and we will make sure to keep improving each area of the hotel in order to exceed our guests expectations.

Once again I apologize for the inconveniences that you have shared with me and look forward to being able to find an amicable solution.

Always at your service,

Efrain Rosa
Hotel el Convento
erosa@elconvento.com
787-505-3780
Spring
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

We spent 2 nights at El Convento prior to boarding a cruise, just as we had several years ago. Once again, an excellent choice! The friendliness of all staff members of the hotel and restaurants makes all the difference. We love the location which allows walks to museums and El Morro. I mentioned to the young women at the desk that our return flight after the cruise was late in the afternoon of the day the cruise docked. She suggested we taxi from the cruise port and leave our luggage in their storage until we needed to leave for the airport. This allowed us to spend more time exploring Old San Juan and avoiding long hours at the airport waiting until we could check in luggage. This experience along with the wine and cheese hour on the balcony as well as sitting in the hot tub on the roof in the evening make wonderful memories of our trip.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janefromtexas
Swedesboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

Don't expect glamor and glitz at the Hotel El Convento, or a beach view. This little gem of a hotel is all about soaking up the history of old San Juan in a comfortable, quiet (except for the rooms overlooking the bars adjacent to the hotel), and historic setting. Service is quite good, there are three restaurants in house, and the rooms are varied and some are quite unusual and interesting. This is not a cookie cutter place, not a chain, but has so much Puerto Rico personality that I stay here every chance I get. Don't miss it.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms are unusual, with very high ceilings and architecture befitting the hotel's pa...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

I finally got around to having my photos printed out and it reminded me that I hadn't written my review on this hotel as I had intended. After much planning and searching around, I decided to spend my birthday in Old San Juan (Oct. 19-24, 2012). I wanted to stay somewhere nice and the El Convento seem to match my taste and standards. Except for a few "minor issues", I was very pleased with my selection. When we arrived, I was immediately pleased with the decor. The hotel is very exquisite and tastefully decorated just as pictured/advertised. Very intimate and cozy. The nightly cheese and wine reception is exceptionally orchestrated and an added bonus. The front desk staff were very friendly and welcoming (although I didn't much like the cleaning lady hovering over the desk waiting to continue her conversation with the front desk clerk as I checked in). When I got to the room( Room 321 "remember this room number always") I was once again pleased with the decor; however the view was of the back alley and a series on hotel trashcans. I immediately went on inspection and found the room to not to have been thoroughly dusted. There was dust on the bed head-frame, over every picture, on and around the the television, on the legs of the chairs and the lower legs of the desk. Not to mention under the entire bed. We unpacked and decided to walk around a bit. I alerted the front desk and requested that the room be dusted. When I returned, the room had been turned down, but none of the items I mentioned had been dusted. I decided to wait until the next day to bring this to there attention. During the night around, 1:30 AM, I was awakened by a loud thumping sound that appear to have some sort of rhythm to it. I ignored it and thought it was a celebration of some sort. The next morning on my way to tour the city, I complained about the dust again to the front desk staff (who were very apologetic). When I returned, the room had been turned down and everything had been dusted except the bed head-frame. At this point I decided to dust them myself. That night, I once again was aroused to a rhythmic thumping sound. We left the next day and returned to the room to rest/nap and a knock came to the door. The cleaning person asked if we needed turning down. I explained that we were leaving the room shortly and requested that he come back. When we arrived at the room later that evening, the room had not been turned down. Later that night, I was lying in bed and the rhythmic thumping sound appeared once again. This time I decided to really tune in to it. As I was listening attentively, I heard what appeared to sound like a dryer door slam. BINGO!. The next morning I went to the front desk to complain about the room service. The cleaning person had indicated that I had DECLINED room service. I explained that I had not, that I had been very patient throughout my stay, that I didn't want to be classified as a complainer, and that all I required was the room to be keep clean. Once again the staff were very receptive and very apologetic. they sent a CREW of cleaning people to my room. Let me tell you they cleaned that room from top to bottom. I also mentioned the noise that I was encountering each night and asked if my room was under the laundry room. They proceeded to tell me yes. They asked if I would like to move to another room. I declined. They in turn gave me two vouchers for free breakfast at the hotel restaurant for my inconvenience and stated that I would receive a call from the hotel management staff. She did call me as promise I explained and she apologized and said that she was sending vouchers for complimentary breakfast for the remainder of my stay. Overall I was very understanding. The hotel was worth the "minor" inconvenience and I plan to stay there again when I return to Old San Juan. I will be sure to remind them of my previous experience, give my expectations up front and refuse accept Room 321. After reading the review from Jean N. on room 324, I will avoid that room also and that entire area.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 321 at all cost!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to Hotel El Convento? Share your experiences!