“"Incidentals payment"”

Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“"Incidentals payment"”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at El Convento for 4 nights with my fiancé and we had a great time. The problems started AFTER we got home from our trip. We had given a $200 "incidentals" deposit that I was told would be released immediately upon is checking out ( I checked out March 15) and take 5-7 business days. I called several times to confirm this amount of time because that time had passed and I did not have the money back in my account. I called again on March 25 and they told me that there had been a mistake and they had not released my money. The person that I talked with then said I had to wait another 5-7 business days. I called after 7 business days passed because I still have not received the money and was transferred three times ( and had never been transferred before). The lady I spoke with said it would take 10-14 days. I told her I hadn't been told this number before and she said she was going to contact the accounting department to make sure it had been released and email me the next day. I did not receive any email. I am extremely disappointed that I have had to go to this level of effort and still have not gotten my money back or received any contact about whatever may be holding it up. I hope I will be getting the money returned soon!

2 Thank Jordan C
Alfredo A, General Manager at Hotel El Convento, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Jordan C -

Please accept my apologies for this situation. I genuinely regret that such a great stay as you well mentioned was tarnished by this event. I completely understand your frustration. I personally revised your account and indeed on March 25th,$200.00 (dollars) were credited to your card on file. Certain banks may take a little longer to process this type of credit than others, however I would like from you to directly contact me if you do not see this credit reflected by April 9th. Thank you so much for sharing this incident with us and rest assured that I will follow up on this particular until it is resolved to your satisfaction.

Alfredo Arroyo
aarroyo@elconvento.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
New York, NY
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I travel a lot and stay in some amazing places but this hotel certainly is one of my new favorites. The place has a lot of soul and has stayed true to it's history with a beautiful interior patio where you can have a coffee in the delicious Puertorican sunshine in the mornings and have a glass of wine in the evening. The rooms are tastefully decorated and the amenities are wonderful as well. What makes this hotel really special though are the people that work there. They really take the time to give you personal service and let their natural wamth come through. At a time when everyone is talking about "being present" and the loss of connection between people due to modern devices, I have to say that the warmth of the staff at El Convento reminds you of what is important in life - human interaction. :)
I even forgot my LV wallet in the room safe when we checked out and they called me about it and sent it to me right away. I had heard that PR can be dangerous but this experience is better than what I have experienced in the most cities in the world. The staff not only is warm and attentive but this shows that they also have a lot of integrity.
I was there on business and pleasure and I found the business facilities more than adaquate. My meeting was in Old San Juan so it was very easy to get there. We also went to visit both of the beaches where El Convento gives beach access and we were very plesantly surprised by the experience.
PS. Right up the street from the hotel is a historical site where Puertoricans fly kites on the weekends. It is WONDERFUL! Even if you don't want to fly your own kite, go in the late afternoon and sit and watch the kites and enjoy caribbean breeze. No hay nada mejor!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank kshalla
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This place is amazing. All of the reviews are right. It is so beautiful in its old world charm, but with such modern amenities. The rooftop pool and hottub (plus ridiculous view) are all wonderful as is the wine happy hour. The hotel is perfectly located in Old San Juan - the staff is great, the rooms are spacious and clean. Can't recommend it enough. Definitely not overpriced at all for what you get.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank BrooklynTraveller30
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This hotel is everything it says it is and more! Room was beautiful, comfortable and clean. The building, foyer, dining areas, pool and unique and interesting. Great location in the heart of old San Juan. Complementary wine and cheese at 6pm every evening. Very friendly and attentive staff. Loved it and would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank Graeme M
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

From the time we arrived, we were greeted with warmth and kindness. We were on our honeymoon and They gave us many recommendations and catered to our needs. The hotel was in great shape, very peaceful, and free wine and cheese every day at 6. Enjoy the mojitos by Luis. Would recommend this to any couple looking for a warm getaway from the north...

5 Thank Jtmonaco
Reviewed 26 March 2014

First of all this place is not cheap and can easily get to 600+ a night for a couple depending on the season and weekends days, so if price is not a problem and you want the Best location, the most charming hotel in viejo San Juan well this is the place to be.
Hotel used to be an old Convent so get that in mind when thinking about the rooms, they can be small for some people and not really modern, but the charm of this place is the architecture and history of the building, rooms and bathrooms are good size and amenities are great. There is a tapas restaurant and bar inside the hotel, really nice environment to relax, food and drinks are great.
The hotel has a beautiful terrace with nice views of the city, great place to drink your coffee or enjoy the complementary wine and cheese that they offer every afternoon. Also some lounge chairs and a small pool.
Really safe location and you can walk around the city and get immerse in the rich history and charm of old Puerto Rico and not worry about transportation.
You will see cops everywhere and as long as you are a safe traveler and don't do stupid things like thinking you are a trendy tourist that thinks is an urban explorer and likes weird places like going to the small neighborhood of La Perla located outside the wall you will be fine, (for sure you will hear about it, seems really cool from above the wall but you have no business in there unless you want to do some business in there if you know what i mean) .
The Viejo San Juan area is Full of restaurants and small stores. Not the place for you if you want the resort beach type experience, this is because is located in an area of the island that is all rocks and no sandy beaches, but all the museums, historic buildings, restaurants, coffeehouses and more are around there.
This place is awesome, Just walk the small streets 2 blocks to the old door of san juan find a bench seat looking at the ocean, listening the coquis sing, and i promise you will go back in time 500 years. Priceless.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lfmz777
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Absolutely wonderful location. And to top it, the restaurant in the gorgeous garden courtyard is incredible. We had delicious drinks and incredible food. Our friends raved about this location when they were on their honeymoon - so glad we made it a part of ours too!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#20 of 47 in San Juan
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino

Been to Hotel El Convento? Share your experiences!