“Nice beach, poor rooms”
Review of Hosteria Del Mar

Hosteria Del Mar
Ranked #18 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I'd give this place more like 2.5 stars. The location/beach is great, I loved it. The restaurant was actually really delicious (I only had apps and drinks to be fair). The rooms are pretty bad, and I am not a high maintenance person to say the least. We had a "side view" room of the beach, which was more like sliver view of the beach, but that's fine. The rooms other views were pretty nasty with a lot of standing water, thus tons of mosquitoes came in through the slates. Swatting mosquitoes while sleeping is awful. The bathroom door wouldn't close because the floor was uneven, and you had to use all of your might to pull it. The cable was constantly going in and out due to poorly configured wires. One gust of wind, the cables would move, and then really loud static ensued. But all in all, the price is about right for the place, and you're just sleeping there anyways!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley L
There are newer reviews for Hosteria Del Mar

Reviewed 28 July 2013

This hotel is one of the best I've been to and I have been to thousands across the planet over a 28 year span as I am a traveling engineer. It is very intimately reserved ,romantic and charming with a special beauty that is in it's own class. The location of the beach, the quality of the sand and the view is wonderful.Its no doubt a paradise hidden away from common island activity. Definitly the boutique of hotels with that old san juan and old island atmosphere.The staff was extreamly hospitable.They made me feel at home and comfortable.Oscar the manager was like a brother to me naturally and Josh was one of the most pleasant persons I've ever met.Last but not lease the food and service was excellent. A major plus no doubt.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank traybags3
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Don't make the same mistake I did. I read the reviews and I decided since it was a 3 star hotel it may not be as bad as they put it in the reviews, but believe me this hotel should be closed down...to me, this is not a hotel. First of all they lie about having parking, you have to park in the street. You have to come back to kill mosquitoes every night before going to sleep if you want to sleep. There is no hot water not even warm water, my husband got sick from taking cold showers at this hotel. We will have to carry our luggage in and out every day because we did not feel our belongings will be safe there. We stood in the first floor and we didn't know if it was light or dark outside because the windows were covered. I try checking thru one of the windows in the nasty bathroom and there was like a wall in between...I wouldn't be surprise that they have some kind of passage to look inside thru those windows. The furniture there is old and it look like its been there since the hotel was first open or from a thrift store. I try to call southwest vacations to get my refund and go to another hotel but had no luck with that. That's why Im writing this review, so I can help other people to don't make the same mistake. It is cheap but at a cost. You better off paying a little bit more and enjoy your vacations. 07/22/13

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Eve F
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is the most disgusting place I have ever set foot in. Our room was disgusting, there was no elevators I had to haul my luggage up some flights. Our rooms floor was terrible I felt like I was sleeping in the wilderness. My friend and I got bit up instantly by Mosquitos and some other type of bugs. I went to San Juan for my birthday and I just wanted to cry, there were bug guts all over the walls from where people had smashed other bugs. The view of the ocean was beautiful but everything else was terrible. The bathroom looked like it was an outside one, we didn't shower or change until the next day. We were scared to open our suitcase, change clothes, or shower because of the bugs and quality of the room. The pillows had bugs just crawling all over them, i got bit everywhere on my body. There was no air conditioning going, it was hot as hell in that room. I went down and asked the lady about the air, she asks me where's the remote to turn it on? I was just done with her and the hotel, if it wasn't for Josh that saved my vacation by transferring us to the Olive I would have booked a flight home. Thanks Josh!!!!!!!! This hotel needs major renovations, and it should be closed down. I'm still appalled at the sight I saw!!!! Just disgusting.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Msmorgy
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I stayed in this charming beachfront hotel with my boyfriend since we had a wedding to attend in the San Juan area. The hotel is small but very romantic and clean. Offers direct access to the beautiful Condado Beach. Service was good and the food in the restaurant was delicious. A great find for a relaxing getaway! I would 100% stay here again.

However, don't not expect to have all the amenities as a brand name hotel as this is a boutique hotel. Also, you would need to take a short cab ride to the restaurants/bars area in San Juan.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marywil1
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I was there January 2013. I stayed three nights, This is a very low key bed n breakfast, without the breakfast. Its basically a room, with no amenities, no hair dryer, a very lumpy bed. The beach was the only thing mememorable about my stay. The hotel is located in a gated community. Theres nothing around but homes. I did find the only restaurant outside of gate called mangos. The food and drinks were good. If your used to staying in a four or five star hotel this is not the place for you.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank romey79
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

We recently booked a room at this hotel the night before our departure from the island. The hotel lobby was very nice
and Josh greeted us with a smile and was really a nice receptionist. The inconvenience was at first the room. I booked a small standard room but sadly it was the worst room. It definetly needs to be remodeled. The walls were kind of dirty and the door from the inside seemed to be falling apart. Then I had an inconvinience with the hot water so I had to go ask front desk but thankfully Josh helped me right away with the water and let me know that since their water is heated by a solar heater it might take a while. When we finally showered we went out to dinner but found out their kitchen had closed at 10 so we had to go out to another restaurant for a meal. When we got back we heard the news that we had been upgraded to better room at their sister property Olive Boutique and then finally we had a great room. Overall, this property has a good location and their staff are very helpful but some of their rooms need a serious update.

• Stayed: July 2013
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#19 of 47 in San Juan
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Hosteria Del Mar? Share your experiences!