“Place to Stay”

San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 9 September 2012

The staff both inside the hotel and on the beach were very helpful and friendly. The atmosphere in the casino was amazing, very lively place. The rooms were very clean, but a bit small for the price you pay. Overall, great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank sweetmagnolia1717
Write a ReviewReviews (6,555)

Reviewed 8 September 2012

The hotel is located in a great neighborhood that is walkable. There are several nice restaurants (several coporate american owned ones) on Ashford Avenue. Although the property is older, it is maintained well. Due to the volume of traffic on the property, some wear and tear is visible. The room decor could use some modernization. However, the rooms are spacious. If you can spring for a ocean front room, go for it. The hotel is located right on the beach in residential/commercial area.

I loved the energy of the lobby at night. The lobby had a touch of chic glamor. The front has cool lighting, the bar was always full of people, and the Casino is adjacent to the lobbly. The Casino may underwhelm you if you are expecting a Vegas style Casino. It is adequate and a member of my party had some luck on the tables. He was able to win enough money to pay for a significant portion of his trip!

In general, I was not impressed with the level of customer service in Puerto Rico. This is surprising considering that it has such a tourist based economy. However, the customer service at this property was good. It is apparent that they have been trained under the Marriott customer service standards. Most employees greeted me with a hello and seemed willing to assist me with my needs.

Please remember that you pay a resort fee. The fee covers chair usage on the beach amongst other things. I reccommend taking full advantage for everything covered in the resort fee. I think there is even free bike usage.

My only negative experience on the property is that I got stuck on an elevator for 10 minutes. The elevator was full and there did not seem to be a telephone inside. We managed to pry the door open with our hands. There are either three or four elevators that are constantly being used and I could see this could happen.

I see people are commenting about the rooms being damp and musty. I did not encounter that smell, but please remember that the hotel is located in a tropical place where it rains a good bit (albeit for small periods of time) which can cause a damp and musty smell and feel. I dont think there is anything the hotel could do to prevent that from happenning.

I will return!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank AtlTravelBoy
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We just got home and we want to go back already. The isn't one thing that was wrong at this hotel. From the minute you walk in the staff was on point and the grounds were maintain very well. Our room overlooked the ocean and it was a spectacular view. We travel with our 6 year old and the ocean could be a little rough but just don't keep your eyes off of the little ones. The pool was great and the slide kept him entertained for days. Our room was wonderful and was kept clean by a great staff. Anything you needed just ask and they will try there best to accommodate you. The is plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas for the beach and the pool has plenty too. We ate mostly in the neighborhood and the food was fantastic. The casino is fine too nothing like Las Vagas but it does pay out trust me it does. There is one special person that sticks out at the hotel who takes his job with heart and his name was Edguardo. Go see him when you need at set for the beach he is a man with a good heart and soul. We honestly can't wait to go back. Awesome trip and stay at the Marriot. You will enjoy it.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Vincent P
Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

Mariott resort in San Juan has a killer casino!!! Great blackjack dealers and slot machines that you can actually win on!!
However... I have little to say on the manners of their staff! Especially their poolside staff... Extremely rude to my daughter and I... I was a guest of a guest who was staying at their hotel and I was told I couldn't use their beach chairs nor could I use the poolside beds( not in a nice way very rude) what they also didn't know is that I spoke fluent Spanish and I heard them cursing at me... Aside from that the casino was great!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Habesgirl
Reviewed 7 September 2012

The room was a bit damp and musty. The pool was very refreshing and the beach was right next to us. They have everything available you could possibly need within walking distance. While there, we did a Rain Forrest Excursion and a snorkeling trip. Both of these were well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff W
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The staff was awesome. They were friendly, attentive and fun! We received an upgrade just by asking !!!!! We ended up in a beachfront room. Our room overlooked the ocean . Simply amazing!!! THe swim up bar was fun and cool. The hotel is veryyyyy well kept. The casino was lots of fun. I loved the fact Walgreens was a block away! Definitely would go back!!!!

Room Tip: Cabana rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chanel J
Reviewed 6 September 2012

we have stayed at the Marriott over the past twelve years on approximately forty occasions. we are continually impressed by the hospitality of the the hotel staff from the reception desk, to the bartenders , the beach attendants and ALL the wait staff at the restaurant. we eat breakfast each morning at la vista  and always request Diana Fernandez. she has demonstrated extraordinary service skills, anticipating our likes and needs. diana always welcomes us like we're family. it's a pleasure starting our day with her!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple