“Great trip!”

Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Levittown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great trip!”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband I spent 4 nights here last week. We had a great time! We had an ocean front room on the 8th floor. Room was very clean, not as fancy as some other resorts, but very comfortable. The ocean here is very rough to swim in but was great to go to sleep hearing the pounding surf. The air conditioning automatically turns off when the balcony door is open. We ended up each night closing it a some point to cool off the room. I swam in the pool a couple mornings before the families with kids took over. Not many kids on the beach. Salsa music and dancing in the lobby bar every night.

The food and drinks are expensive here. Walgreens is right across the street and we purchased beer, wine and soda to keep in the refrigerator in the room. No problem taking them to the beach. There is food and drink service on the beach if you prefer.

The casino was lots of fun, served free drinks while we played craps. There is a tiny Chinese restaurant in the corner of the casino, BEST CRAB RANGOON WE EVER HAD!

Great location, we walked to great restaurants: Oceano (seafood) on the beach couple blocks away, El Pasillito (Middle Eastern) on the same street. Café Lola, pricey but great atmosphere. Ummo Argentinian Grill delicious steaks! Pinky's for breakfast.

Took the bus to Old San Juan, beautiful old buildings, outstanding views, lots of shopping, dining, drinking! You need coins for the bus 75 cents each.

Every where we went including at the hotel, the people were friendly and helpful.

10 Thank Joan D
MDelgado01, Marketing Coordinator at San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Joan D;

We would first like to thank you for choosing the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino as your "home away from home", during your recent visit to Puerto Rico.

We appreciate all your feedback!

If you need any assistance in a future stay please contact us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,915)
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This was my second time staying at the Marriott San Juan and I have to say I had an even better experience the second time around!! Beautiful oceanfront balcony room on the 11th floor! The one draw back is that the beach is narrow and during certain times of day the hotel blocks the sunlight on the beach. Position yourself near the rocks tothe left of the building - get there early! you will have sun all day long! Went end of January - 85 and partly sunny everyday!!!

Room Tip: Room 1111 was our room and it was perfect for sitting on the balcony, overlooking the ocean! Definit...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank 935jenf
Alamosa, Colorado
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We were upgraded to a pool side room that was perfect for our children. The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job and were helpful when we had questions. The restaurants were very expensive but we were within walking distance of a Walgreens and Wendys. We missed our first flight to Puerto Rico and the hotel was very accomodating with changing our dates to stay. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking to stay in a busy part of San Juan.

Room Tip: Poolside is the way to go if you have children. They are able to just dress and go straight to the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Hoyt A
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We arrived on a Friday and check in was very swift, we were able to get a room with views of the ocean and city on the 19th floor. We also received welcome drink which is always a nice touch. The hotel was in a perfect location in Condado with many restaurant options and shops around. I did not like the beach however, the waves are ROUGH! and the sand is not so nice either, we went to Isla Verde beach. We wanted to participate in yoga, however instead of being on the sand it was on a terrace type of structure which is hard, so we left. My biggest gripe with the room is no microwave. When we came back to the room and wanted something warmed up we had to walk all the way around the hotel until finally finding a manager who agreed, be even she seem a bit reluctant. The had live music and dancing in the lobby which was nice.All in all, nothing that blew me away, just average.

Room Tip: the higher the floor the better
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank brittany b
MarketingCommMgr, Manager at San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear brittany b:

Thank You for taking the time to submit feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We will share your comments with the corresponding team members in order to address your concerns. We value your opinion and hope to serve you again in the future!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We booked an ocean view room and enjoyed our recent stay at this very pleasant resort! The food, the drinks, the pillows ... and the very comfortable bed..... WONDERFUL!!!! The entire staff was pleasant! We would HIGHLY recommend this resort/casino!

Room Tip: OCEAN FRONT! The sound of the waves is awesome!!!!!
2 Thank Debbie914
sde_03
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed here for a 6 day stay - let me please advise
you to NOT STAY HERE! For the amount of of money we spent to stay, I consistently went out my way to accommodate myself, where they should have been
accommodating me. Be warned - this is not a typical Marriott in the worst sense
possible. Side note: Marriott Vacations is a 3rd party vendor of Marriott and
you are not actually booking directly with Marriott when utilizing their
service. Misleading.

Cliff note version:
I have never been treated so poorly or felt like such a burden to hotel staff
while on vacation. Rudest/most incompetent staff I have ever encountered. They literally ruined my vacation due to a series of unfortunate events and bad attitudes when I tried to resolve the issues. I read a ton of reviews online and wish I had heeded the advice of the bad reviews. We're pretty low-maintenance travelers and don't require special attention.

Detailed version:
In the first 36 hours we should have known we were in for a troubled stay.
Upon check in: we were early, our room was not ready. We waited almost FOUR
HOURS for our room. After we checked our bags with the concierge we were told
that we could change our clothes but we didn't have access to our bags at that
point without unchecking and rechecking them. Waited in a long line three times
at the lobby desk (once our initial check-in attempt, a second time to check
status and a third time to finally check-in).

I did my research on the area (first time in San Juan) and had the audacity to
ask the tour person about local attractions. He was annoyed by my questions and
made me feel like I was a burden for asking him anything (even though I booked a
tour worth a few hundred dollars with him for one of the attractions). I have
never apologized so many times to an employee of a hotel for asking basic
questions.

We went to our room on day 2 and our card key didn't work. Called security
and they let us into the room. Assuming it was our error (demagnetizing against
our credit cards) we made a conscious effort to keep the key in a separate
pocket once the issue was resolved. 10 hours later returned to our room and
the new key didn't work - our door is dysfunctional, it is not our/the key's
issue. Security called again to come let us into our room. When we finally did gain access to our room, cleaning service had not cleaned the room. We didn't even have clean towels to use. I called front desk and ranted a bit (too many inconveniences in too short a period of time). They issued us a $50 room credit to put towards our room charges and 2 vouchers for a free coffee and breakfast pastry at the hotel lobby coffee stand for the inconvenience. A nice gesture but not helping take the grey cloud out from over our stay up to this point. FYI - our bathroom was so
tiny the door would not fully open (oceanfront room).

While in casino, we were told we were standing too close to a table game by a
floor manager who asked if we could move away. I've been to Vegas, Atlantic
City, etc. I have never heard such a bizarre request. The waitresses DO NOT
want to help you or be there. I have never seen a more unhappy staff that has
made me, in turn, feel completely uncomfortable/unwelcome. They are miserable
and understaffed.

We were told that our "comp dollars" from gambling at the casino on the property
could be used towards our room credit and that we should call the night before
checkout to ensure he credits were applied to our final bill. We made the
arrangements for this to happen (which made us get transferred to about four
different people to re-explain what we were trying to accomplish over and over
again) the evening before we checked out. When we received our bill the morning
of checkout the credits were not applied to our bill. When I called the front
desk to ask why the credits were not applied to our bill, the gentleman at the
front desk actually got SASSY with me - telling me that's not what the receipt
reads. I assured him I had the receipt in front of me and if he had a different
venison of the receipt than I would like a copy of it with the updated/correct
charges prior to my check out.

The only bright spots were Richard who set us up with a beach chair and umbrella
and the kind security guards who let us into our room twice on the 2nd day when
our key/door malfunctioned (who we should have never come into contact with
since our door should work). The incompetent/unhappy staff far outweighs the
helpful staff.

This place is a disgrace and Marriott should be ashamed that their name is
associated with this property. The reason they receive one star is for a good location - it gives you plenty of options to escape from this property. I wish I had booked somewhere else. Please do yourself a favor and do just that!

29 Thank sde_03
MDelgado01, Marketing Coordinator at San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear sde_03;

We would like to thank you for the feedback provided from your recent stay with us. It is very disappointing to learn that your experience with us didn’t go as expected and we would like to truly apologize for all the inconveniences encountered. Our goal is to provide our guests with the best experience possible, so we’ll be sure to share and discuss your feedback with our managers in order to identify areas of opportunity for improvement and provide additional trainings to our associates.

We would love to have a second chance to provide you with an amazing stay, so please contact us directly at (787) 722-7000 Ext. 42 should you decide to visit us again in the future.
Havre de Grace, Maryland
Reviewed 28 January 2014

There were two reasons why my wife and I selected this hotel for our stay in Puerto Rico from January 15 to 22, 2014. One was the location on Condado Beach and the beautiful ocean setting. The second reason was based on the reviews I had read about the hotel on Trip Advisor. Almost all of the reviews spoke about he great customer service provided at the hotel. They were right we had excellent customer from the moment we entered the hotel until the day we left. I might add that we had to unexpectedly extend our stay by one day because of the major snow storm in Philadelphia.

As I read the reviews during planning I was surprised that names were remembered of the staff. Now I understand because we had great help from Enrique, Raysa, Jose, and Samuel Lopez, the front desk manager.

We booked an ocean front room and it was worth the extra expense. Each evening we sipped cocktails on the balcony and watched the moon rise. It was wonderful.

Room Tip: I highly recommend getting an ocean room on an upper floor.
2 Thank Rykman
Dear Rykman;

Your positive feedback from your recent stay in January is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for recognizing our excellent customer service; it really means a lot to us and to our associates. We'll be sure to share your comments with them as we are always looking for ways to impact our guests experience at our hotel.

Hope to see you soon!
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,695 reviews
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!