Couple (40 yrs old)...trip alone without our 2 young children. We both have traveled all over domestically and internationally for work and leisure.
Looking for: Great location, clean hotel, great pool(s) / beach, good food.
Not looking for: major entertainment, party scene, and lots of kids / younger crowd.
1. If you care about the exterior of the actual building, it does look a bit dated architecturally (but I thought it was fine).
2. Room: We were in the Hilton Honors Tower with ocean view / balcony. Room was large with king bed (one of the most comfortable beds ever), it was clean, air conditioning worked well. Bathroom was large (large walk-in shower with overhead rain shower head and also wall shower head). Were there some minor knicks in the walls from wear? Yes. Did I care? No, I had no plans to BUY the property.
3. Food and drink: Good options? Yes. Good quality? Yes. Expect to spend an average of $60 per meal for lunch and dinner if you're going to have a couple of drinks (beer: $7 / frozen drinks: $12). We ate at Mortons one night for dinner for a splurge - it was $200.
4. Property: LOVED the grounds and pools. You could lay out in well maintained grassy areas, sand/beach areas, or by the pool. A lot to look at and enjoy. The inlet water area was clean and beautiful - many fish to see in the water.
5. Service: Service was perfectly fine in the restaurants (top notch in Mortons). If you needed something, the hotel staff was helpful.
6. Location: Felt very safe (most times you feel unsafe beyond the fenced in property). Close to Old San Juan, which is lovely. It's an easy drive to the Rainforest (we spent the day hiking around).
Some observations from previous posts:
"It rained our entire vacation" - you can't blame the hotel. Yes, it does rain, but it clears away as fast as it arrives.
"Poor service" - if you want an activities director and you're looking for tons of entertainment, pick a different type of hotel (e.g., all inclusive).
We got a very good deal on this hotel that included full breakfasts. We didn't have huge expectations based on the reviews, but the negative reviews were off base, in our opinion. Again, know what you're looking for before you book. I scoured TripAdvisor for this trip and have never seen such contrasting positive and negative reviews for hotels as I did for Puerto Rico.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic and iconic Caribe Hilton offers an ideal combination of leisure facilities and activities and is home to Caribar, the birthplace of the pina colada. The resort is situated on a private 17-acre lushly landscaped peninsula with a secluded beach and is located near the Old San Juan historic district and many of the destination's top attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Ebookers, Hilton Hotels Direct, Cancelon, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Caribe Hilton San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caribe Hilton San Juan Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel Caribe
- Hilton San Juan
- San Juan Caribe Hilton Hotel