“Excellent business hotel that makes it feel like a vacation!”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kalamazoo
“Excellent business hotel that makes it feel like a vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times for business and have never had a complaint. I always request the tower and I am never disappointed in the ocean view. It has several restaurants onsite including Mortons. Pricey but excellent food! There is also a Starbucks onsite and the staff is very friendly and recognize me so I never even have to order, they are very fast. This location has an excellent view of the ocean with a protected beach area, as well as a nice swim bar area. It is close to Old San Juan and the bridge over the lagoon is now open where you can wak to many restaurants, bars, and a couple of casinos.

Room Tip: Ask for the Tower.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,528)
  • Polish first
West Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel at the end of June for almost 2 weeks with my husband and 12 year old son. The line for check in was extremely long when we were checking in, but I never saw a line the rest of the time I was in the lobby. I guess if you hit it at the wrong time (4pm) you will have to wait a while. I did receive a complimentary non alcoholic pina colada while I was in line though. The grounds are really nice and I liked my room and big bathroom. One guest I met in the elevator said he had to move rooms b/c of mold, which I didn't see in my room, but housekeeping wasn't what I would expect staying at a Hilton (dusty ac vents and dirty rugs stick out to me). I know some other people complained about the AC but I found it worked fine and my room was able to get nice and cold, and then warm up if it was too cold.

My major issue was regarding the lack of things to do in the area and place to eat. We didn't rent a car because we didn't want to pay for parking at the hotel on top of the rental fee, and thought we could just take a taxi everywhere we went, in an attempt to save money. It didn't quite work out that way. Since the only thing within walking distance was a Subway and a park, we had to take a taxi to go everywhere. After 7 or 8 days Subway got old, and the overpriced (though tasty) hotel restaurants were taking their toll. We did rent a car for one day, and made good use of it. I guess if you're prepared to spend $40-$60 a day on taxis or pay for the parking and try and navigate the roads yourself, you will have a better time.

A few more things to mention.
*The internet was not free. This is 2011 not 1996 when the internet was new and exciting and something only business people used. Seriously? Charge $5 more a night for each room and then take away the internet charges and provide everyone with internet, no one will know the difference and guests will think it's just one more awesome thing about staying at a Hilton.
*The beds were extremely soft and comfy at first. But then after all the walking, my pregnant back began hurting. I have a bad back to begin with, so that may have been it, but the soft and plushness of the bed meant there wasn't as much support.
*The fitness center was nice, and my husband used it almost every day. It has all the basic equipment you would see at a gym, and they have headphones to use and plug into the treadmills so you could listen to music or watch tv. I would bring my own headphones if I knew that was how the treadmills were set up.
*The showers suck- water pressure isn't great and neither is the drainage.
*The pool was a little cold, and I am surprised it's not heated (and I went in June when it was really warm out so that is saying something).

Overall, it wasn't a bad trip, I think it was just too long of a trip. I enjoyed the amenities at the hotel, and my son thoroughly enjoyed the pool and beach. The garden area was nice and I enjoyed feeding the fish as well.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank heresangie
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Nice beach resort with good large rooms all with tile flooring and nice newer looking bathrooms. Restaurant, bar, gym and starbucks onsite. Overall we would stay here again; rooms nice and clean and staff pretty friendly. We did how ever walk in one afternoon and rooms was barely cleaned; shampoo, towels not replaced and we found a full pack of menthol cigarettes next to the bed, hmn.... called housekeeping and the room cleaner showed up and he was very happy since he lost his cigarettes while making our beds earlier on that day. In the his state of excitement he still forgot to replenish shampoo, towels etc. but later on we called housekeeping for the second time and a nice lady came with the missing supplies. Pretty nice staff just took at as the housekeeping department was not quite organized. Good property for older, younger folks, famelies with kids and pretty much all ages! Good value if you can overlook the "little" things that could happen.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and good size, price determine the view you'll get.
4 Thank born4travelCA
Curacao
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton pre-cruise and won this hotel on Priceline.
For the proximity to Old San Juan and the cruise pier this hotel is great. The rooms are clean and spacious.
Unfortunately when we were there, there was one wedding and several other parties going on. Making the hotel VERY rowdy, busy and loud. We were on the ground floor, garden wing and kept awake ALL night by people talking, running, laughing and even playing the piano in the hallway.
Upon requesting a change of room, we were then placed in the Hilton tower, where the atmosphere was tranquil and wonderful. Great bathroom and good beds.
You will not need a rental car when staying at the Caribe Hilton, there are many taxis for the short trip to OSJ or the Mall de las Americas.
Overall a good value (if won on Priceline).
Positive points: Nice landscaping and pool, good location, clean rooms.
Negative points: Loud music/people, long lines at reception and the front desk clerks are not very happy with their jobs, it seems.
Would we be staying here again? Probably not.

3 Thank Myrouck
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

This hotel is located near-ish to Old San Juan and Condado, both a $12 cab ride away.

The rooms all have some sort of an ocean view with balcony. Rooms are nice and adequate, with a flat-screen tv, fridge, coffee maker, and safe. There is an internet connection but it is wired in the rooms and you have to pay a minimum of $4.99 a day - tacky if you ask me. The bathroom is very nice with a large shower (meaning, oh say 5 people can fit in there!), hairdryer, zoom mirror, and daily supplies of shampoo, etc.

Restaurants on-site are pricey, to be expected. I only ate at Starbucks (they have different flavors than in the upper 48 - YUM) and the Pina Colada Restaurant where the burger was good but again overpriced. Just outside of the hotel complex is a Subway. This is the major downfall of the hotel - location doesn't have much you can walk to. If you want to walk to places stay in Condado.

The beach was small and more of a cove so there aren't really waves. Bummer. The pool is typical, including a swim-up bar. There are plenty of chaise lounge chairs and umbrellas.

There are daily hotel activities, such as yoga, games for kids, dancing, etc. all free of charge.

Check-in and check-out were swift and easy. There are always taxis ready in the lobby area. There is an ATM in the lobby and also a phone charging station.

I found this hotel comfortable. I would not go back but the only reason is location and a below-par beach. If pool-side relaxation and not leaving the hotel complex suits you, this is a good choice.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank rustymambo
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

The first impression of this hotel is that is exactly what you expect from a tropical island. It is airy, open and light. The lobby area just like the rest of the hotel is very nice. The check-in very slow, especially the HHonors line is a joke. It would be faster to go through the regular line. The pools are beautiful, they are big, spacious, and plenty of them. Loved the swim bar. The hotel has a shaded area with lots of hammocks, perfect for a nice nap. My son enjoyed the playground right by the ocean, very nice too. I appreciated the secluded and clean beach. The water was a perfect temperature and the sand nice and soft. The beach could not be beat. The hotel also has a beautiful tropical garden with swans and fish. I also enjoyed a free locker while using the pool since our room was not ready since I was checking in early. As far as the outside spaces I would give this hotel an A.

The rooms are a different story, I would give them a D. The only reason why I would not give them an F is because the beds were comfortable and it was quiet. I had room 1466, a balcony ocean view in the towers. The rooms are very dirty, the carpets stained, the lamp shades have multiple holes in them, a wall on the side of the toilet had a big hole, the shower floor had tons of mildew. It was really disgusting. It would not take much to maintain the rooms and keep them clean. The rooms were the worst I have ever seen at a 4 star hotel. In fact, I am writing a letter to their customer service about it.

Breakfast buffet was great, the food and the service.

Overall, if you stay outside the room as much as possible you will have a great time!

2 Thank snshn3
Westminster, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Context:
Couple (40 yrs old)...trip alone without our 2 young children. We both have traveled all over domestically and internationally for work and leisure.
Looking for: Great location, clean hotel, great pool(s) / beach, good food.
Not looking for: major entertainment, party scene, and lots of kids / younger crowd.

Facts:
1. If you care about the exterior of the actual building, it does look a bit dated architecturally (but I thought it was fine).

2. Room: We were in the Hilton Honors Tower with ocean view / balcony. Room was large with king bed (one of the most comfortable beds ever), it was clean, air conditioning worked well. Bathroom was large (large walk-in shower with overhead rain shower head and also wall shower head). Were there some minor knicks in the walls from wear? Yes. Did I care? No, I had no plans to BUY the property.

3. Food and drink: Good options? Yes. Good quality? Yes. Expect to spend an average of $60 per meal for lunch and dinner if you're going to have a couple of drinks (beer: $7 / frozen drinks: $12). We ate at Mortons one night for dinner for a splurge - it was $200.

4. Property: LOVED the grounds and pools. You could lay out in well maintained grassy areas, sand/beach areas, or by the pool. A lot to look at and enjoy. The inlet water area was clean and beautiful - many fish to see in the water.

5. Service: Service was perfectly fine in the restaurants (top notch in Mortons). If you needed something, the hotel staff was helpful.

6. Location: Felt very safe (most times you feel unsafe beyond the fenced in property). Close to Old San Juan, which is lovely. It's an easy drive to the Rainforest (we spent the day hiking around).

Some observations from previous posts:
"It rained our entire vacation" - you can't blame the hotel. Yes, it does rain, but it clears away as fast as it arrives.

"Poor service" - if you want an activities director and you're looking for tons of entertainment, pick a different type of hotel (e.g., all inclusive).

We got a very good deal on this hotel that included full breakfasts. We didn't have huge expectations based on the reviews, but the negative reviews were off base, in our opinion. Again, know what you're looking for before you book. I scoured TripAdvisor for this trip and have never seen such contrasting positive and negative reviews for hotels as I did for Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: I sent an email ahead of time about why we were visiting, our late arrival, etc... (they replied &a...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,114 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!