“Unforgettable stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Unforgettable stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

This is actually the first review I am writing. EVER. That is how great my stay was at this hotel. My sister flew to PR for a business meeting as her company had their convention here and she flew my mom and myself out to have a nice weekend getaway. Now being from New York and currently in orlando (central part, away from the beaches and near downtown), I was taken away by how beautiful this hotel is. The building itself just doesn't do it justice when you walk inside. The all glass entrance into the pool area from the lobby was breath taking. I really felt like I was in paradise! My mother and I were more than excited to tan by the pools and sip some coladas. The swim up bar was very cool and convenient and the fact that the pool had so many sections made it nearly impossible for it to be crowded. The tanning areas are very nice and the beach was GREAT! I loved having the option to go to the right for the pools or left for the beach. There is also a section that has hammocks hanging off of these beautiful palm trees in the sand, which was honestly probably one of my favorite parts of the hotel. It was so peaceful at night to just lay on a hammock in the beach breeze. Food here is quite pricey but hey, you're on vacation, what do you expect? The room was very nice and comfortable, perfect for 3 people. I had to fight with the showers to change between hot and cold water but that was a minimal issue. The beach view from my balcony was so relaxing at night. The only complaint I have about this hotel was one of the waiters at the restaurant downstairs. I ate at the restaurant two nights in a row and the second night we had this waiter that seemed very annoyed by any questions or requests we had for him. He seemed to be bothered by us asking for things which turned my family off. However, that holds no significance to how memorable the staff service and beauty of this hotel is. I would come back in a heart beat!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank FeliciaAshley
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Hey there! thank you for your kind words and feedback. Is great to know that you and your family had a wonderful time and that you will return!

We are very sorry about that experience with the waiter, . I will share your feedback with our staff and do apologize if you felt they were rude. Our purpose and commitment is to provide you with impeccable and consistent hospitality and service.

We are looking forward to your return!
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,509)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton early January 2013. We got a great price for the room, but unfortunately my expectation were too high. I was born and raised in San Juan and always thought the Caribe Hilton was a first rate hotel, I was wrong, it’s a hotel in need of a renovation. We were given a room in the 11th floor of the tower. The hallway leading to the room was dated and the carpeting was in need of replacing. The view from the room was satisfactory, had a view of the ocean and San Geronimo Fort, it also looked right into the main building. We could only open the sliding door to the balcony a few inches because the hotel had installed a screw on the door to prevent people from accessing the balcony. It was removed a soon as I requested it to be taken off. The room had two full size beds which was too small to accommodate . It left hardly any room to access the closet. Only one nightstand in between the two beds, which means that the second person in the bed doesn’t have a light or a place to rest anything while in bed. I must say even though the beds were small (full size) they were very comfortable. For some strange reason the beds were only dressed with a fitted sheet and a comforter, it did not have a flat sheet. I personally like to have a choice of layers (sheet, blanket & comforter) I’m assuming the comforters are washed upon a new guest arrival, instead of making me sleep in a dirty comforter. The air condition worked and the room was clean. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. It has a private beach which is not common in Puerto Rico. The location is just OK, its sandwiched between Old San Juan and Condado but you can’t really walk to either location and there isn’t much within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Rafeacevedo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

Nice beach/pool area. Happy hour specials great deal. Best piña coldas on the island. Don't eat at the hotel. Go explore the island. Great local restaurants especially in old san juan, only 10 mins away.

5 Thank Ecarbetta
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback!
It was a pleasure to serve you.

We look forward to welcome you back soon

at your service
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton the year before and we liked it so much that we came back this time.
All rooms are acceptable, even in the oldest part the Condado Lagoon Villas, which is the oldest part of the hotel. The rooms we like most are in the tall building.

Service throughout is highly professional, flawless, enhanced by the Puerto Rican charm and hospitality. It is during breakdowns when the quality of service is tested and we had the opportunity to observe the professionalism with which the occasional issue was handled. Excellent service betrays excellent hotel management.

We remembered the breakfast buffet from our previous visit. Once again we enjoyed the variety and the superb and friendly service.

As far as we can tell, there are three different quality accommodations, each in separate buildings. The Condado Lagoon Villas are in the oldest part, yet they are quite adequate. Their balconies overlook the lagoon east of the complex. The most modern part seems to be the tall building. One of the nice features of this building are the balconies overlooking the rugged north shore of the island.

The park between the buildings and the shore is large and absolutely beautiful. There are many pools, countless beach chairs and hammocks hanging from coconut palm trees. Bars offer tropical drinks, etc., and a pier takes the visitor right on top of the surf of the Atlantic. This pier has floodlights shining into the water at night revealing the aquatic life beneath the waves. If only the contractor had set those floodlights at a better angle to avoid reflections on the water. Similarly, that contractor should have set the lights along the walk such that people would not be blinded.

A separate tropical garden offers the visitor peace and shade among pools with large koi fish, ducks, swans, and peacocks on the lawns. And there is much more, a beach on a protected lagoon, a diving reef, kayaks, etc.

The main lobby is great and spacious, a pleasure to walk into or about. There are countless shops and a restaurant along the walk toward and withing the lobby where the ladies can spend hours browsing. A Starbucks offers the usual selection of beverages. However, the sound level of the band in the lobby is such that many people avoid it in the evening, once the band comes on. We guess that the sound level might exceed the 85db OSHA limit. We sympathize with management who are faced with the reality that nowadays bands all over the world play much too loud. Still this is an exceptionally nice hotel. So why not extend the niceness to the noise level in the main lobby?

Another great feature of the hotel is outside. Situated at the eastern most tip of the peninsula, the visitor is only steps away from of Old San Juan and the awesome El Morro castle, a National Monument. The variety of things to do, day and night seems endless.

So, between impeccable and friendly service and a stunningly beautiful facility on an incredible location, we can't wait to come back to the Caribe Hilton of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: I'd try to get a north facing room with balcony as high up as possible in the tall building.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank guenthpw
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

We have been thrilled with the setting here at Caribe Hilton. Friendly service, immaculate room with ocean view and small balcony. Food has been average - the bar good, restaurant for breakfast not so much. Fitness center was well equipped. We would definitely come back

3 Thank Sherrie P
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

I have reviewed this hotel a number of times as my family stays here most years each December for a few nights. So, over the course of 9 years of travels to Puerto Rico, I have seen the hotel change in good ways and in bad. Here are my highlights of the December 2012 experience over two separate stays in the same month. I also note that I am a Hilton gold member.

Our first December stay we arrived December 18. We booked the Puerto Rico getaways rate, which included a "free welcome drink." Check in was unusally fast for this property. When I asked about the drinks the person at the front desk told me I would need to go to the desk at checkout and ask for the drinks to be taken off our bill. This tactic is the norm at the Caribe Hilton. Anything that comes with the room, be it drinks, or breakfasts if you're on the breakfast plan is charged, and then you have to go ask for it to be taken off (usually while waiting in line again). This aspect of the hotel could be seriously improved with drink coupons or free breakfast vouchers or something similar. They give breakfast vouchers to gold members, so it is possible for them to do the same for other comps. Particularly when the line is long to check out and you are trying to get to a plane, it is a hassle to go tell them everything that needs to be taken off the bill.

Due to Christmas falling later this year, when we arrived, the hotel was fairly empty. I had requested a garden wing room, because that has worked best for my family of 4 in the past. The front desk told me when we arrived (around 5 pm) that no garden wing rooms were available. Maybe so, but given that the hotel was not full at that point and that the garden wing is not the most popular because many of the rooms do not have ocean views, I was a bit surprised. We were put instead in the towers. Our room was on the 16th floor and faced the west side of the towers. The view was great. The noise was not. There was street noise from the road that runs from the Hilton into Old San Juan. Our tower room was in need of an update. The carpet was bubbly in spots, there were several scuffs on the walls, and the hallway was somewhat dreary. Nevertheless, the room was clean.

Restaurants: Las Palmeras serves breakfast at the hotel. As a Hilton gold member, I get breakfast vouchers. They worked to give us either free breakfast at the Il Giardino restaurant (no view) or a discount at Las Palmeras with a view of the ocean and the pool, or a pastry and coffee at Starbucks. The kids would have killed us if we went to Giardino because they love the Palmeras view, etc. Over the years, Palmeras breakfast has gone downhill. Used to be, you could get manchego cheese, serrano ham, lox, capers, sparkling wine, sparkling water etc., all included in the price. No more. The fancy stuff is gone. I know the hotel must be saving a lot of money by removing the higher priced items, but there is no way the full buffet is worth the price they are charging for it now. However, with the breakfast discount as a gold member, the cost is reasonable for a resort hotel. As for the kids, we have one kid who qualifies on the kids eat free at Hilton plan and the other who should qualify as a kid eats half price. It was a crapshoot each morning at breakfast. Sometimes they charged us four breakfasts, sometimes they charged us for three, once they actually got it right and charged for 2 1/2, but we spent a lot of time having our bill corrected.

The attitude of the staff at this property and the kid-friendly atmosphere is what brings us back year after year.

Our second December stay was during the high season- between Christmas and New Year's. The hotel was booked solid. Checkin took forever. I felt bad for the desk clerks because they were swamped. Also, people in higher tier Hilton rewards categories were complaining to the desk staff that they weren't given room upgrades. People failed to understand that this hotel sells out during that time of the year. There are people who return year after year, like us, and many of them are Hilton Diamond members who are using points or families dropping a wad of money for a suite for the whole family. Arguing about room upgrades wastes everyone's time.

This stay they put us in the Villas, on the main floor, next to the elevator and the ice machine. Had we been placed in this room not on the busiest week of the year, I would have asked for a new room. We did not sleep much. Drunk, loud people coming in late and using the ice machine at all hours of the night kept us up. Perhaps the most shocking was housekeeping starting the vacuum between 6 and 6:30 every morning. Hotel folks- that is too early.

But, hey, we were using points, so the room was free. Nevertheless, of all of our 9 stays at this property, this room was by far the worst. If I get stuck in a similar room on our next stay, I will brave the endless check-in line again and ask for a different room. The room was also one of the smallest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. And because they were designed as time shares, it has its own hot water heater, which is very small. We ran out of hot water long before the 4th shower in our family was completed.

During the peak week of Christmas to New Year's, the hotel is a kids' paradise. There are bouncy houses, water slides, face painting, crafts, cookie making, activities, movies, etc. etc. My kids love it. They are happy. Therefore, I am happy.

Thanks to the staff at this hotel who really make it a joy to return each year, especially Hadassha, who is fantastic with the kids; Hiram who works like a madman all day yet still has a smile for us; everyone at Palmeras breakfast, and the managers and head of security who will stop and answer any question we have, no matter how mundane.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank TejasJuez
Hello there, thank you for staying with us and for the loyalty during all this years!

We appreciate your comments and feedback and apologize for any inconvenience you had during your stay with us.

Rest assured that the comments about cleaning hours, noise and the management of coupons will be addressed to improve our services for our guests and clients.

Sure you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. I hope you will visit us this december again!

At your service,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

We stayed for five nights and had a pleasant experience at this hilton. Do's: stay in a garden tower room, 5th floor or higher for best value, you will get a garden view and an ocean view all in one. Eat at pina colada club, great bar/ local fare at reasonable cost, decor is tacky but the food was great. Beach is ok, private is a plus. Do your room stocking...food drinks...alcohol...at a local walgreens or cvs, will cost alot of $$$$ near or at the resort. Getting around: take the bus, clean air conditioned and really cheap....50 cents per person to old san juan, 5 minute ride...easy....otherwise a 5 minute cab ride is 12$ plus tip. No brainer. Donts: breakfast buffet is 23$ per person.....nuff said...order a la carte or at onsite starbucks. In general drinks are really pricey, stock up the room if you know what i mean. Do not stay in hilton honors tower, nice rooms but your on the street where deliveries are made starting at 5 am, trash trucks too.

6 Thank jordan1106
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton for your recent stay during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. We hope you enjoyed your vacation.

We hope to see you back in the near future.

at your service
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,077 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!