“Get the view...get the Ocean”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Get the view...get the Ocean”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Lucky enough to be here on business and had an ocean front view in the tower. A nearly full moon and a high surf crashing at night had me mesmerized each night in my room. The rooms are a little old, furniture a little dated. Big plus was the wifi in room. Was a little disappointed in room service. A used bath cap on back of door that was there when I arrived remained throughout my entire stay. Who knows how long it's been a resident in the room? Makes you wonder what else was missed? The pool area is wonderful, but closes down early. Sort of funny that the pool bar is "open for dinner" but closes at 6:00 pm. Wonderful to have a Starbucks poolside, but they don't have coffee or hot drinks, and don't accept cash. Limited restaurant choice and those they have are pricey. Cabs do offer quick service. Overall, a good stay, but not perfect. Then I have to go back to the full moon on the ocean and the waves crashing in...after a day at work an amazing place to unwind.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Terri H
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Hello there! thank you for choosing us for your recent stay in Puerto Rico. We hope you had a wonderful time and truly appreciate your feedback

We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,555)
  • Polish first
Brasileia, AC
Reviewed 7 December 2013

With all of the wonderful places in the Caribbean splicing your dollars it is hard to give the Hilton Caribe a higher rating because, in the end, it is just AVERAGE. That being said, the hotel is located in a nice spot with full access to many activities. Those so inclined can surf, kayak, swim, kite board, or even run down to the fort and back. Ocean side or lagoon side of the hotel, either is nice as long as you have a view of one of the two. Looking down on the street which runs between the two towers would not be my idea of a good room.

Speaking of rooms, you'll find it acceptable but lacking in any amenities which make other hotels special. You can and will be comfortable, but you won't be awed.

The grounds around the hotel on the beach side are nice including a fantastic grassy area for those interested in Yoga staring at the waves.

The lagoon side of the hotel has tennis courts, a nice pool area and a dock for launching and renting boats or kayaks to paddle the lagoon area. This is a nice feature and makes for an enjoyable diversion.

Plenty of restaurants are within a short walk of the hotel so you can easily find a good meal at a fair price if you don't want to dine in one of the hotel's many restaurants.

All-in-all, the Caribe Hilton is an enjoyable place to stay for couples, family, or even a business trip.

Room Tip: Ocean side or lagoon side facing water.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank S G
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to response our survey, your feedback is important to us in order to better understand your need and where we can improve

We thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your prompt return.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I loved the open resort feeling when you walk into the hotel. The outside area in the back of the resort was very romantic at night to walk. The have hammocks which were super nice to lounge in during the evening and at night. The front desk staff was super nice during our entire stay.. The Pina Colada Club had the best Pina Colada's during our entire stay.. and we definitely ordered them every chance we had.

Room Tip: We were in room 809.. it had a nice view on the ocean :)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We hope you had a wonderful romantic getaway!

Looking forward to welcome you back soon

Atlanta
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I am a Gold Member and stood in the Gold/Diamond line for check in and jumped out after awhile to the regular line to get checked in faster. The check in staff was great and the lobby is open. Stayed in two rooms due to the family size which we were located in the main hotel building. We overlooked the beach area and the rooms appeared to be newly renovated. I am Gold Member so we received breakfast coupons. The Continental Breakfast is OK. One day we walked over to the Subway (which is close) to get a quick egg type breakfast. The food was good.
Drinks at the hotel are expensive and meals average about fifteen to twenty dollars per person at the hotel. Strongly suggest you have a car so you can see more of the island. Parking is nearby in a ramp for about eighteen dollars per day. They will charge it to your room.
The beach area is nice and the hammocks are great under the palm trees. Would get there early in the morning to get lounge mats in the circle area. Starbucks is at the beach area and in the hotel lobby so caffeine is readily available.
Old San Juan is a must to see and eat at. The restaurants are great and would suggest eating a couple of meals there. There is a hamburger place just down from the hotel towards Old San Juan off to the left past the first stop light before KFC that is really good.
Make sure you take a trip to the RainForest. It is about forty five minutes away.

Room Tip: Get as high up as possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Scott H
Hi there! thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We hope you and your family had a great time. We apologize for the inconvenience with the lines at front desk

We look forward to your return

at your service

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Here for a week. Clean room king size bed, not much of a view from my balcony I need to look over some roofs to see ocean. Private beach is great but the pool is cold. Hotel bar has a lively crowd and Morton's steak house is in the hotel, which is a big plus.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Jamesburg, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I am in a Hilton hotel 3 weeks out of every month and I have never had such a bad experience as I did at this hotel. It took me over two hours to change my room dealing with the incompetent staff and it was only down the hall, 1039 to 1021. I don't have the luxury of time to write down everything that took place and as I write this I feel my blood pressure going up again. The facility itself is nice, starting to show its age and the hotel needs to pay attention to detail and that's all I will say on that. I stayed in room 1039 the first night and it would have been easier to sleep with a crying baby than listening to the exhaust fan from the restaurant 10 floors below. I addressed 3 different front desk members about the issue and finally the fourth one was able to give me a room that was just a little better. I checked out a day early due to all of what I went through and I will say this, I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS PLACE AGAIN AND IF ANYONE ASKES ME ABOUT IT I WILL TELL THEM GO SOMEWHWERE ELSE!!!! I go to Puerto Rico three or four times a year and my company uses this hotel. I will do all that I can to tell friends and coworkers how dissatisfied I was with this hotel. After everything came to a head I was able to reach a manager (Mayte G) and she did try to make up for the issues, it was just too little and a little too late.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
We thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip. Reading your comments, it appears that we fell short of your expectations and for that, we sincerely apologize. We are accustomed to receiving very positive feedback from our guests and are disheartened that you did not experience the level of excellence you deserve. Please be assured that your concerns will be shared with our management team so that corrective measures are taken where feasible.

We regret that you left us feeling this way. We do hope that you can give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel if your travel bring you to our area again.

at your service

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed there during Thanksgiving break for 4 nights. The hotel is nicely located. From here me and my girlfriend actually walked to Old San Juan. It's about 40 min walk but showed us a lot about the city. Alternatively there are always cabs.

Room is OK. Feels a little bit old but still looks nice and comfortable. Bed is great. Extra points for the large bathroom with two fountains. The number of power outlets seems a little bit limited though.

We ate at the hotel a couple times since there are not many restaurants around. The food there is expensive compared to what you can get elsewhere, but it tastes well. There are also a couple bars in the hotel if that's what you're after.

The beach area is really nice, with a lot of chairs and umbrellas. They also got a pool, a pool-side bar, and two Jacuzzi in the main area. If you want to stay away from the crowd, there's also a garden near the Villa, where you can find an additional pool and Jacuzzi. There are peacocks, swans, ducks and lots of fish in the pond. Pretty fun and sweet place.

Overall a nice experience. Keep in mind that there's a 16% resort fee. Don't let that surprise you on the last day.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,140 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!