“Great facility, not so much the staff”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Grove City, Ohio
“Great facility, not so much the staff”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I am a regular to Hilton properties. For many years I have had the top status with Hilton Honors as well. I write this with plenty of hotel experience around the world...

The property has great facilities, nice rooms, great beds, spectactular views and the only private beach in Puerto Rico (at least that is what I was told). The activities at the beach and pool are plentiful - scuba, snuba, snorkeling, swimming, etc...

BUT, and the big but in the whole thing is the staff. They really arent very good. I found them to always have their hand out for tips - to a point that it was offensive. A tip was not given to the maid one morning, because I was gone and my wife did not have cash. The maid actually asked for one, and then didnt really even clean the room - she didnt touch the toilet and it needed a wipe down... I had to get a server at the pool for a drink, all our order was not brought, but we were charged for it. I sat at a table near the bar and once again, had to go and get a drink then too....

I dont want to hear about being on "island time" that's why I was there.... I dont expect the staff to be on it as well. Hilton has such a wonderful property, much like Hawiian Village, but in Puerto Rico, i found the staff to be lazy and rude.

I have waited to write this review because I wanted to see if my experience changed. I have stayed at the property several times in the past 6 weeks. Unfortunalty, it did not.

I recomend the property, but do not go with high expectations of how you will be treated as a guest. I hope the Hilton leadership and mangement of this hotel reads this and acts.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank trollsdad43123
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am sorry that there were some issues that you were not completely satisfied with. I thank you for bringing them up in your review as your feedback is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. We will certainly use your comments to identify areas where we can improve our hospitality so that others do not share your experience.

We apologize for the inconveniences you had while staying with us and do hope you give us another opportunity to serve you

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,574)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We were moved to this hotel after our original hotel closed its doors. There was a bit of a mix-up with our reservation, but they came to a resolution we were happy with. The location is great, with wonderful views. Drinks are the bar are pricey- be prepared!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Stamford, United States
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Great location-right on the beach. Minutes from Old San Juan with plenty of shopping and great places to eat, Great lobby leading out to terrific ocean scenes, nice beach and several pools. While the rooms have been refurbished, little to no attention was paid to old dirty rugs in rooms and very dirty air conditioning vents.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for stayinig with us and for your comments. We hope you and your family had a wonderful time.

We appreciate your loyalty and hope you visit us again soon

at your service

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Room was in the towers aka a cheaper side. You could feel the nails user neath the carpet that hold it down, we had to call maintenance because the handle to our balcony door fell off (victorio was amazing) when we tried to use it. Plus we we woken up at 7 am everyday but heavy equipment or construction!
Just poor.
The outside grounds are beautiful but I stayed at the marriott down the street and it was AMAZING!!!!! See review for them! Just as close but a MILLION times better!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank HKALKA
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
We thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip. Reading your comments, it appears that we fell short of your expectations and for that, we sincerely apologize. We are accustomed to receiving very positive feedback from our guests and are disheartened that you did not experience the level of excellence you deserve. Please be assured that your concerns will be shared with our management team so that corrective measures are taken where feasible.

We do hope that you can give us another opportunity to serve you.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I really liked this hotel, the rooms are spacious and clean. The front desk staff is very friendly specially a girl named Karla, she help me with my reservation. This hotel has a god location in the middle of the old San Juan and the Condadi. It has a great beach area plenty of seats to take soon. I loved the hamac area. I didn get out of the resort for the week end and i rest and had fun. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed 13-15 Dec, Garden Area , initially Room 154 (Accessible RM) 2 double, wheelchair accessible shower. We checked in and the room was not ready (4 p.m.).
I received a call around 5:00p.m. when we arrived around 7 p.m. got the keys and went to the room, let me keep it simple -- the room was FUNKY DIRTY, it looked like someone tried to clean the bathroom,the door kept getting stuck and after speaking with the cleaning lady who was next door,the maintenance man that showed up to fix the door and the front desk,they immediatelly moved us to rm 151 what a difference, the way a room was supose to be, only minor issues with the remote but thats nothing.

My point is; yes the 1st room was nasty, but the response to the problem was immediate and the assistance from the hotel personnel to move us into another room was on point; to me, that is what counts.

a) To the lazy person that was suppose to clean room 154 - you are a lazy idiot and should be
fired because you give the honest hard working employee a bad name.

b) To the Hotel staff that fixed the issue on Friday 13 Dec around 7 p.m. THANKS , My wife and my mother (who was on a wheelchair) were very excited and happy that our weekend didn't get ruined.

c) To the Hilton Chain -- You have a very proud bunch of People there that will make sure
vacations are memorable, with a few exceptions all do a great job, Nobody is perfect,
keep up the good work.

The food was good (a bit pricey for what you get) the views were great and the atmosphere was pleasant. The night life, well, is Puerto Rico and Puerto Rico does it better.

Remember travelers- nothing is going to be perfect, when issues come up look for how well the hotel response is and the attitude that comes with the response .
If the hotel staff goes out their way to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable, then the cost don't matter however if they ignore you then check out and leave.

I'll be back this summer;

Thanks
Respectfully,

Jorge V-C

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank JLVC
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I spent so much time trying to find the perfect hotel and I was not disappointed with this hotel. I highly recommend it and if I go back I will definitely stay here again.

Pros: beach, pools, great ocean view from our room, nice room, comfortable bed, good shower, clean, VERY friendly staff, safe, secluded location, fish feeding area, hammock area, gym, the cold breakfast buffet ($15), fish tacos at Pina Colada Club

Cons: location (just be aware that the restaurants/stores on the property are very expensive and you'll need to take a taxi -- at least at night -- to get to another area such as old San Juan or Condado), jacuzzi wasn't very warm, pools close at 9pm, down comforters on the bed (why do you need down comforters in a tropical climate?!) which made it hard for me to sleep (it was either too hot with the comforter on or too cold with nothing on top of you)

The room was in great shape and if you think there are added fees, you just didn't read the fine print very well (every hotel has added fees here). Every single member of the staff we interacted was super friendly and helpful.

This was my first time in PR and I loved it. We rented a car (there's a little place across the street from the hotel -- $53 for everything, except insurance) and drove to Arecibo Observatory and the Camuy Caverns. Driving in PR was fine.

Room Tip: We got an ocean view room and the view was awesome.