“Updated...great location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rhode Island
“Updated...great location”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

For a building built in the 50s, it is surprisingly well maintained and updated. Once you are there you quickly understand why the Hilton's invest in this property...the location! It is tucked away on old San Juan island with breathe taking views of the coast, a private beach, beautiful infinity pools, snorkeling, tennis courts, a spa, excellent dining, attentive and timely staff, and every amenity you could ask for! Great for singles, couples, families, elderly...they meet everyone's needs. Being in a metro area, the grounds are well kept and secure.
Being in Old San Juan, it is only a minutes ride to the 100s of historic sites the city has to offer and exploring the old city (est 1500s!) is a must. The Caribe also has many fine restaurants that serve Asian food, steaks, burgers, etc., but we highly recommend the 'piña colada restaurant'. The Cuban wrap took me back to my college days, and the Cuban sandwiches my Miami native roommate would make...juicy and delicious!

Room Tip: Awesome views from both sides of the building.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,582)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

The cleanest of the room is very under rate Chack in was well after the promised time as well the type of room we request and like I say before the room was not clean and the middle of night kaka roch was traveling on my pillow respond very slow not for second time for us very over rated

Stayed January 2014
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your stay. Your feedback is a valuable component in monitoring our success and identifying areas that need improvement.

Meeting your expectations is our primary objective and I apologize that we fell short of that goal. Your comments are being reviewed with my staff so that corrections can be made.

Once again, I appreciate your comments and feedback. It is my hope that you will consider staying at our hotel next time you are in town so that we may have an opportunity to provide you with the exceptional stay you deserve.

we are at your service
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton on 1/11/14 for one night prior to a cruise. The staff was very nice and quite accommodating. The room was very good also. As expected the charges for drinks and meals were a bit high but not out of line with what one normally pays at an upscale hotel. The grounds are beautiful also. We got a great deal on this hotel via Priceline bidding.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I first visited the Caribe Hilton in 2010 and had a great time. I was excited to go back for a conference this past January and was disappointed with my experience. When I arrived, I was put in a room in the Towers. It was around 11pm and my key wouldn't open the door the building so a fellow guest showed me how to break in since the card reader didn't always work. When I got to my floor, the hallway was really run down as was my room. Everything seemed warn and dated, which I could deal with, but the bathroom was not clean. I went down to the desk and asked to have my room changed and the woman behind the counter seemed completely put out. After sighing a lot, she eventually told me she could have me moved the following day.

So, I slept in the gross room, and awoke to a gorgeous view. I guess they figured the view would distract from the filth. I was able to move that afternoon to a room in the main building which was much more modern, and only a little run down. The manager who followed up on my move was great as was the woman at checkout.

The beach is still wonderful, which was a relief. My boyfriend and I signed up for a trip to El Yunque through the hotel. It was $77 and we were told there would be 3 stops in the rainforest, followed by 2.5 hours at the water where we could purchase lunch. It would run from 9 to 4. Well, our actual tour was 2 stops in the rainforest and a 1.5 hours of walking trails to see the water falls where you could go in, followed by a stop for lunch. We were back at the hotel by 3. While El Yunque was still brilliant, we felt a bit misled.

Syosset, New York
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I booked a suite at the rate of $349/night. Upon checkout I discovered 27% tax was added onto the bill. The Puerto Rican government only charges 9%. The hotel an added 18% "resort charge". Although the website does say this, it is in very small type and designed to be hidden. I checked pricing on a random selection of other Hilton hotels and noticed the other hotels don't charge this sleazy money grab. If the room costs $412, that is how it should be posted. This is a disgusting way to generate extra revenue while trying to hide it from your customers. I wouldn't expect this from a company like Hilton.

The best part of the resort is the Beach and Pool Area. Don't stay here if you want to venture out of the resort. It is in the middle of nowhere. It is a 15 minute walk to Condado or 30 to Old San Juan. If I were to do it again I would have stayed in Condado to be where the action is.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert S
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I understand that you stay with us was not all that you expected and for that I am truly sorry. I apologize that there were some additional charges that you did not expect. I can assure you that we never want to intentionally mislead our guests in any way and I sincerely apologize if the charges were not clear when you first arrived to our hotel. Our main priority is for all our guests to feel that they are getting a good value.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience you went through and would be more than happy to discuss this further with you. Your satisfaction is our main concern and I make myself available for any questions you should have.
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Chennai
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband is a Hilton Honors Diamond member and we booked 3 nights in this hotel solely through his points. We loved everything about this hotel. Room was ocean facing with a nice small balcony with 2 chairs and a table, where we used to enjoy our morning coffee and late night dinners. Room was of good size, had decent furniture like a writing table, a sofa, TV and in-built closet. Linens were spotless. The lobby area was spacious and beautiful, the staff courteous at every touch point. Special mention needs to be made about the staff at the Tours n Travels desk who even setup our GPS for the Rainforest trip. By the lobby, there is a bar and ample dining area, from where you can enjoy a breath-taking view of the ocean. As you step out, they have well-maintained large swimming pools, different shapes n sizes couches and pool chairs and a lovely beach, apart from the paved area around the sea where you can take a walk or lie on your pool chair enjoying the breeze. They also have a nice deck for fish-watching. The location of the hotel is also fantastic, with Old San Juan being only 2 miles away, and the happening Ashford Avenue just a 10 min. walk. All in all, this was one of our best hotel experiences ever, thus making the vacation even more enjoyable.
Only 2 negatives would be:
1. All the restaurants close at 9:30 PM which we think is pretty early for a vibrant and night-life loving place like San Juan. 9:30 PM is early by any standard though. However, that made us order food through room service, which is open until 1 AM, the food and service both being very fine.
2. The continental complimentary breakfast buffet is very flat, serving milk n cornflakes, juice, breads, fruits n muffins. If you want to have real breakfast like eggs, potatoes or meat, you have to upgrade by paying $9 per person. For a hotel where room charges start at $250, I fail to understand why do you have to charge your guests to serve an omlette? Or a handful of home fries?

3 Thank Traveller_Couple_11
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This hotel is just average as far as I'm concerned. I travel twice weekly for business and stay about 90% of the time at Hilton hotels and this one is a little run down in some areas. They think an ocean view room is a view of the tennis courts and a very small corner of the ocean. We stayed in room 863 and the hot water turned all the way over to hot does not get hot enough. This room is right by the elevators and you can hear way too much going on outside this room. I don't think I would ever choose this hotel again unless I'm forced to. The only reason I stayed here is because the system at work had very few choices and we must book something pre approved in our system. I would stay at another Hilton near by its nicer and much newer.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 863 and the hot water does not get very hot. Its suppose to be an "Ocean view...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!