“Not a place I would plan a week at, but great for a few night getaway.”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Newbury
“Not a place I would plan a week at, but great for a few night getaway.”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I travel once each year to Puerto Rico for work and stay here. As business travel goes you can't beat it! And I would love to bring my wife for a long weekend getaway given how convenient it is to get to from the states - direct flights on JetBlue and no customs required! The Hilton facilities are nice and the people who work there are very friendly and helpful. It is not a mega-resort and I would not come with kids for a "family" vacation, but it's a nice spot for a quick getaway and a great choice if you happen to be on the Island for business. There a great little scuba facility for beginner divers right next door at Escambron Marine Park.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Geese91

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,555)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Room rate for quality of room and overall property is a bit steep. The view of the ocean from the pool area is pretty spectacular but you are certainly paying for the view. There are other options in San Juan to consider.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Have stayed at this location on 4 occasions. 1st time (5 years ago) brought me back. 2nd visit noticed a decline and 3rd visit disappointed. The reason I came back was because the rooms were so worn and moldy - I assumed they would have had to of updated and renenovated. NOPE... Everything smells musty, everything is dirty... - mold growing in all corners (especially bathrooms) Currently the water won't even drain in my bath tub (called twice for maintenance, but still hasn't been rectified) - and all furnishings are beat up. SHAME ON HILTON for allowing such a disappointing property. Never again... Side note - their sister property (Condado plaza, formerly the Conrad) doesn't look much better, once you get past the expensive cars propped out front and swanky
lobby furnishings. Stay away people. There are many other options in this area. Don't let the Hilton ownership win you over.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank ChgoFunDir
DEN
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Typically I would not give this hotel a poor review. The reason it is so low is because compared with the room rate it was quite disappointing. We paid $245 a night for a King Jr. Suite, at $199 a night I'd give the property an average rating but for $245 a night NO WAY. Not even close to being remotely worth that rate.

When we checked-in it at 3:30 we were assigned our room immediately, which was nice because there seemed to have been a few guest who did not have their rooms yet. Our room was on the 4th floor, I believe room 401. Upon entering the windows were dirty with children's handprints, and if I could guess, I'd say they are still there since at no point were they ever wiped away. I should have complained but didn't. The room overlooked the bay, which was beautiful, but also the rooftop to the banquet facilities, and what appeared to be the HVAC making it incredibly loud and not at all comfortable. There were also cigarette butts left from the last guest on our patio as well.

We had a few drinks and some food at the bar downstairs, which is fine. the lobby like the rooms is a bit rundown and in need of some updating but all in all alright. If you drink our eat at the hotel anytime aside from Happy Hour it is a bit expensive, and "not all that". You can get much better food and drinks by heading into Old San Juan or the Condado area for very reasonable prices.

We rented a car and got away from the resort. I'm glad we did. If the Caribe Hilton was all you saw of Puerto Rico you'd not get the full experience of what a wonderful island it is. It's a fantastic destination full of wonderful people, food, and experiences.

The pool/beach area is decent. There seems to be plenty of seating which can't be said about a lot of resorts. Best part of the pool area is the view. It's quite amazing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Shelleeee
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. We are deeply sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay with us and would love to have another opportunity to serve you.

looking forward to welcome you back
We are at your service,

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed 2 days at Caribe Hilton prior to a cruise. Room acceptable for 2 days and no problems.Reception desk OK for us and we even managed to get an adaptor for 220 Voltage use. However, the Breakfast restaurent are too expensive compared to what you get for the money. Same can be said of the Italian restaurant inside the Hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am sorry that there were some issues that you were not completely satisfied with. I thank you for bringing them up in your review as your feedback is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. We will certainly use your comments to identify areas where we can improve our hospitality so that others do not share your experience.

We look forward to your prompt return.

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Very good hotel,highly recommended.I had a wonderful time in there,and I got in touch with nature,and the pools are simply marvelous,and the service and quality,simply the best!!Thank you very much to all!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Rockport, Maine
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I, and two friends of ours, stayed before a cruise on 3/22/14 and then again after the cruise on 3/30/14. I chose this hotel because we had stayed there before and like how convenient it was. However, this will be our last time there. First, even though we checked in a bit early (1:30 p.m. versus 2:00) we were hoping for something a little earlier than 5:30 p.m., which is when they finally called us to let us know our room was available. I explained when I made the reservation that I had a bad back and required a few extra pillows...and told them again at check in. But, no pillows. After calling housekeeping twice (no answer) and the front desk (no pillows brought), I returned to the front desk again to request the pillows. They came while we were out to eat...finally.

Generally speaking, the property is not well kept. Their gardens, in which the have fish and various bird life, is dirty. The rooms are in need of a face lift and good cleaning in the baths.

The location still rocks...and the pool area and beach is very nice.

But, after staying here four times, it is time for us to try other hotels when we are in San Juan. Any ideas welcome...

Room Tip: Stay in the newer tower if possible.