“Best hotel in San Juan”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have followed the reviews for the Caribe Hilton since booking plane tickets to SJU last fall. I was worried about some of the posts, but we had a perfect experience! We had a king corner suite ocean view (upgraded from garden view) and it fit our family of 5 perfectly. The pullout couch was one of the most comfortable we have encountered in a hotel suite, and the rollaway was a real bed. The suite was clean and there were no signs of mold or a smell as other reviewers noted. The view was spectacular.

Everything mentioned in the reviews about the restaurants is true. At Morton's Happy hour, our family could eat a sizable amount for under 80.00, and it was delicious. The Subway, albeit a little sketchy, (the sign on the market next door says in spanish that they refuse to allow persons of ill repute in!) was a great spot to grab lunch and bring it to the beach. I noticed a sign at Caribe Hilton which said a Quiznos was opening in the resort soon. Starbucks also had good sandwiches and a PR delicacy called "quesitos" for a snack. We went to Old San Juan in a cab one morning (14.00) and only stayed for two hours because we found it more enjoyable and relaxing to eat sandwiches in the pool area. The concierge has a list of pizza delivery place and there is also pizza in the lobby bar.

The activity board near the towel hut has things like "free float hour" or "yoga" listed daily. The beach was clean and the amount of waves/tide was enough to play in as well as snorkel. My daughter counted over 20 varieties of fish. I brought snorkel gear from Target at home and was glad I did because we snorkeled every day for 3 days and it was expensive to rent. I noticed that they sold it in the giftshop for 25.00, which was about what I paid at home, so you could buy it when you arrive as well. We had so much fun at the private beach that we opted to cancel our rainforest tour and stay on site. We had the pool to ourselves each night and I saw it being cleaned each morning. There are animals on site, the kids were thrilled to hear the coqui frogs at night and see the tame iguanas during the day.

I would like to recognize Mildred at the front desk and Mayte via email for arranging the suite for us. We would like to replicate this trip every spring!

Room Tip: The rooms with higher numbers are closer to ocean. The main tower looked newer that the Honors Towe...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank wendyc1970
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico. It was certainly a pleasure to serve you and your family.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. It makes us really happy to hear that your stay was a pleasant one.

We thank you again for staying with us and would be thankful to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed for our 20th. Beautiful resort with great staff!! Stayed in a newly renovated room with an ocean view. Bed very comfortable!! Pool and beach excellent. Everything was clean!! Only complaint is that nothing close to walk to :(

Room Tip: High floor with ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi there! Happy Anniversary and thank you for choosing us for such a special occasion. We hope you had a wonderful stay and look forward to be part of your next anniversaries as well.

We are at your service,

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I travel once each year to Puerto Rico for work and stay here. As business travel goes you can't beat it! And I would love to bring my wife for a long weekend getaway given how convenient it is to get to from the states - direct flights on JetBlue and no customs required! The Hilton facilities are nice and the people who work there are very friendly and helpful. It is not a mega-resort and I would not come with kids for a "family" vacation, but it's a nice spot for a quick getaway and a great choice if you happen to be on the Island for business. There a great little scuba facility for beginner divers right next door at Escambron Marine Park.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Geese91
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Room rate for quality of room and overall property is a bit steep. The view of the ocean from the pool area is pretty spectacular but you are certainly paying for the view. There are other options in San Juan to consider.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Have stayed at this location on 4 occasions. 1st time (5 years ago) brought me back. 2nd visit noticed a decline and 3rd visit disappointed. The reason I came back was because the rooms were so worn and moldy - I assumed they would have had to of updated and renenovated. NOPE... Everything smells musty, everything is dirty... - mold growing in all corners (especially bathrooms) Currently the water won't even drain in my bath tub (called twice for maintenance, but still hasn't been rectified) - and all furnishings are beat up. SHAME ON HILTON for allowing such a disappointing property. Never again... Side note - their sister property (Condado plaza, formerly the Conrad) doesn't look much better, once you get past the expensive cars propped out front and swanky
lobby furnishings. Stay away people. There are many other options in this area. Don't let the Hilton ownership win you over.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank ChgoFunDir
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Typically I would not give this hotel a poor review. The reason it is so low is because compared with the room rate it was quite disappointing. We paid $245 a night for a King Jr. Suite, at $199 a night I'd give the property an average rating but for $245 a night NO WAY. Not even close to being remotely worth that rate.

When we checked-in it at 3:30 we were assigned our room immediately, which was nice because there seemed to have been a few guest who did not have their rooms yet. Our room was on the 4th floor, I believe room 401. Upon entering the windows were dirty with children's handprints, and if I could guess, I'd say they are still there since at no point were they ever wiped away. I should have complained but didn't. The room overlooked the bay, which was beautiful, but also the rooftop to the banquet facilities, and what appeared to be the HVAC making it incredibly loud and not at all comfortable. There were also cigarette butts left from the last guest on our patio as well.

We had a few drinks and some food at the bar downstairs, which is fine. the lobby like the rooms is a bit rundown and in need of some updating but all in all alright. If you drink our eat at the hotel anytime aside from Happy Hour it is a bit expensive, and "not all that". You can get much better food and drinks by heading into Old San Juan or the Condado area for very reasonable prices.

We rented a car and got away from the resort. I'm glad we did. If the Caribe Hilton was all you saw of Puerto Rico you'd not get the full experience of what a wonderful island it is. It's a fantastic destination full of wonderful people, food, and experiences.

The pool/beach area is decent. There seems to be plenty of seating which can't be said about a lot of resorts. Best part of the pool area is the view. It's quite amazing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Shelleeee
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. We are deeply sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay with us and would love to have another opportunity to serve you.

looking forward to welcome you back
We are at your service,

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed 2 days at Caribe Hilton prior to a cruise. Room acceptable for 2 days and no problems.Reception desk OK for us and we even managed to get an adaptor for 220 Voltage use. However, the Breakfast restaurent are too expensive compared to what you get for the money. Same can be said of the Italian restaurant inside the Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am sorry that there were some issues that you were not completely satisfied with. I thank you for bringing them up in your review as your feedback is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. We will certainly use your comments to identify areas where we can improve our hospitality so that others do not share your experience.

We look forward to your prompt return.