I enjoyed my stay at the Caribe Hilton. It's not a 5-star experience but it's good, solid four-star. I was on the 10th floor of the main building in a large, comfortable room with a nice view of Condado. The room was generally in good shape and the wifi signal was good though not always strong enough for Skype. My room had a connecting door to the adjacent room, which took away greatly from the soundproofing. I doubt I would have been able to sleep well without ear plugs.
I really enjoyed the little beach and the calm waters of the bay. I never had a problem finding a beach chair but I didn't try the pools. The grounds are very pleasant and well maintained but again, they're solid four star, not five star.
The biggest minus of the hotel is probably the food situation. We had dinner at the Italian restaurant one night, and it was terrible. Very low quality food at high prices. I never had the breakfast buffet because I found it vastly overpriced but a bagel and a coffee from Starbucks for $7, eaten in the sunshine looking at the ocean, did the trick. For more reasonably and better quality meals, head to the restaurants in Condado, which are about a 20 minute walk down Ashford Avenue. I particularly liked Orozco's for Puerto Rican style food, and Oceano for a more fine dining experience. You can also take a taxi to Old San Juan (or walk but it takes 45 minutes), where Marmalade offers an outstanding but pricey dinner. For smaller items like water, buy from the little convenience store just outside the hotel driveway. It's still expensive by normal standards but much cheaper than the hotel.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a pleasant, uncomplicated resort holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic and iconic Caribe Hilton offers an ideal combination of leisure facilities and activities and is home to Caribar, the birthplace of the pina colada. The resort is situated on a private 17-acre lushly landscaped peninsula with a secluded beach and is located near the Old San Juan historic district and many of the destination's top attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Prestigia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Caribe Hilton San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caribe Hilton San Juan Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel Caribe
- Hilton San Juan
- San Juan Caribe Hilton Hotel