“A Nice Hotel, awesome Pier”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lombard, Illinois
“A Nice Hotel, awesome Pier”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here two days for work. I will start with the bad. I would have rated this place a 5 instead of a 4 but the front desk is a mess. It takes forever to check in. And they told me my room wasn't ready and they would call when it was. But there was no call. So I had to stand in the super long line again. Ok, other than that I loved it. Nice room. Nice pool. Great pier with fish all around it. Cool setting with the old fort. Restaurants were ok. All good except the check in.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LostALot22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,573)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Caribe Hilton is a beautiful hotel. We were greeted by Reynaldo? (sorry if I forgot your name :)) He was GREAT! friendly, helpful and accommodating. I have to say if you don't want to see anything else in Puerto Rico you pretty much have it all there. If you can, I would stay away from the restaurants. They are overpriced and not worth the money! $8 for a cup of coffee!!! C'mon! I would suggest you either walk or cab it to Old San Juan 2miles- Cafe Cultura was one of my favorites. They make a mean cup of cafe con leche. :) We walked there and it was a beautiful stroll. The beach was perfect and felt secluded. The pina coladas were good too. Overall I would totally stay here again.

Room Tip: High floor either the new remodeled floors or the tower.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Veronica B
Sachse, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2014

So while we stayed in Puerto Rico, this was our third hotel after our stay in Fajardo and we only stayed for 2 nights just long enough for us to get to the airport. Although the entrance and opening of the hotel was drop dead gorgeous and very impressive, the rooms were just average. They weren't bad but they weren't amazing either. It was a little confusing to find our room because we didn't realize they had 2 different buildings that hosted guests. Our view from our room overlooked the amazing ocean... but it also overlooked the other Hilton hotel building and so I guess it just took away from the overall view. While yes the beach and pool were also impressive, it was also very busy and crowded and I felt that since there was no security and anyone could walk through the hotel and onto the beach that the beach and pool weren't as private as I thought they would be. I guess overall, out of the 3 hotels we stayed at this would be ranked 3rd but I'm not saying its a horrible hotel. They front desk was very polite and helpful and the bars were nice and had delicious drinks. The restaurants inside was also very nice and served good food but nothing overly impressive. If you're looking for a family friendly place that is also very affordable than this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kelly W
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Hi there! thank you for choosing us for your recent stay and for your feedback. We hope you and your family had a great vacation and look forward to welcome you back for your next stay.

at your service,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Caribe Hilton for four nights in May of 2014. The resort is pretty nice but there were definitely some finishing touches that would have made the experience more too notch.

BOOKING:

I booked via the Hilton website which is always quick and easy. The room type that I reserved was available at checkin.

PARKING:

There are two options-valet and self parking. The cost difference between the two is negligible so we opted for valet parking. Valet parking was frequently busy but it was always well staffed and the employees were usually quick and always polite.

CHECK-IN:

Checkin was a bit slow as there was only one person working the desk when were arrived (mid-day). There was a general checkin desk as well as a separate HHonors checkin and another Gold/Diamond checkin though neither was staffed and when I saw someone stand in the Gold/Diamond line they were ignored and finally came over to the general line. We checked in at 1:45pm however the room was not ready until 3:45 which meant a two hour wait in the lobby. Granted, checkin time is not until 4pm but with such a late checkin time, a 12 noon checkin time (which should give sufficient time to turn rooms over) and HHonors Gold status, you would hope that a room would be available before 4pm. This seemed to be a theme as many people were waiting with us and I noticed this day after day when I walked through the lobby.

THE ROOM:

Was pretty nice however I was a bit disappointed in that I was not placed on an HHonors floor (if such exists here). My profile specifies high/highest floor because I love the views but I was given a room on the 6th floor (of 10). Further, while all rooms are "ocean view" because of the way this hotel is designed, our ocean view room had more of a dirty rooftop view than ocean view (see my pictures). Definitely pay attention to my tips when choosing a room below.

The room had a king size bed as well as a large chair that converts to a bed. Additionally, there is a flat screen TV with cable and pay per view as well as a small refrigerator. The refrigerator was not stocked but if you call, they will stick a minibar for you. The bathroom had the typical amenities but it could have used a little maintainence. The toilet paper holder and the soap dish in the shower were both very loose and the toilet paper and soap continuously feel out into the floor. The room was nice overall but it could have used a bit of maintainence but nothing earth shattering.

ROOM SERVICE:

We had room service for dinner one night and for dessert only another. The dinner was pretty good and priced in lube with most hotel room service. The service however was a bit slow and telling me 30 minutes after ordering that they didn't have my first dessert selection, when the food finally came they brought the wrong second dessert selection.

The second time we ordered room service we got dessert only. It took an hour to bring this at 10:30pm and when it finally came (apple pie with ice cream), the pie was literally frozen. In general, I would expect someone to hear apple pie up but especially if it comes directly out of a freezer.

FACILITIES:

The property is very nice and has that resort feel. The grounds are large and lush. There is a beach on the property as well as a nice pool. The fitness facility is nicely appointed and there is a spa on site as well. There are three restaurants on site as well as a Starbucks.

RESTAURANTS:

There were three restaurants on site and a Starbucks. We went to one of the restaurants for breakfast and the selection was sparse at best. To add insult to injury, as an HHonors gold member I usually get a free full breakfast abroad and in the continental U.S. Here, I had to "upgrade" to a full buffet which was not unlimited (one plate only) and only included eggs/omelets/potatoes/breakfast meats (no non-pork options). Despite it being "included" as a Gold member, I didn't think it was worth paying the "upgrade" every morning.

PROS:

-Nice location. On the ocean, in the center of the city and within walking distance of many if the major tourist sites including Old San Juan.

-Reasonable room cost (we paid $169/night). However, after resort charges ($30/day), the base rate is closer to $200/ night. When booking just remember to factor that in to your anticipated costs.

-Better than average rooms.

-Nice facilities on site.

CONS:

-Watered down HHonors privileges. I was given a coupon to retrieve my own complementary water. Buffet breakfast is discounted instead of complementary. No HHonors floor or I wasn't assigned to an HHonors floor. I did receive my complementary wifi however (code was given a checkin).

-Slow room service with lacking attention to detail.

-Ocean-views obstructed by loud (air conditioner) and dirty roof. The hotel design is what it is. Maybe put a sustainable garden or something else visually pleasing up there.

-A few small maintenance items in the rooms that really should be noticed by staff and fixed.

Overall, if going to San Juan I would recommend this hotel but with a few caveats. Insist on a room on the east side of the hotel for unobstructed and quieter ocean views (rooms ending with an odd number). I wouldn't recommend using room service unless you absolutely have to and if you are an HHonors member just be aware of how your status will be recognized.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the east side of the hotel (rooms ending in odd numbers) and ask for a room closer...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank idries
Thank you so much for your in depth review of your recent stay with us in Puerto Rico. We appreciate your candor as we are always looking for ways to improve our guests’ experience.

Please accept our apology for our missteps during your stay and know that having shared your feedback with our team we are all working to ensure we provide the best hotel experience possible moving forward. If there are any additional comments or suggestions you would like to make, please feel free to contact me directly. We welcome you to stay with us again and see our award winning hospitality in action, should you return to the island in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Hilton Caribe on the 8th May for two nights prior to our cruise. We arrived tired but excited to start our honeymoon at this hotel. We were received by a moody receptionist at 10.30pm after we had travelled some 14 hours from the uk. We were asked if we wanted a twin or a double bed? I mentioned it was our honeymoon and wasn't really expecting a twin to which we received a negative look of resentment. This was followed by a call to a colleague to ask if they were working or not? We were then given our room and told this was the best they could find with a double. This was strange as the hotel was clearly not full by any stretch of the imagination. We were given a room in the tower building on the 8th floor overlooking a car park that had no curtains and was very tired looking. Minimal view between buildings of the ocean was poor .Clearly this must have been a room the staff used hence the call and poor state. When it was light outside with no curtains we were woken still tired. Food was good at Morton's and breakfast ok in main room but unbelievably over priced for captive customers. I would not recommend staying here to any of our friends or anyone else. It spoilt the first few days before our cruise. We had read some of the poor reviews on here after RC booked it for us. We thought people's expectations may have been too high as it looked nice and stayed positive, but they were right!

We should have complained straightaway really but was too tired after the flight. Not what you would expect from Hilton.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Graham B
Thank you for staying at the Caribe Hilton as part of your Honeymoon. We are deeply sorry about the inconveniences you experienced and rest assured that I will share your comments with my team for appropriate follow up.

again sorry for our missteps and we sincerely hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

we are at your service,

Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Our first time to Puerto Rico, Just got back last Friday, stayed for 5 days 4 nights at Hilton Caribe let me just say from the moment we got to the hotel our experience was perfection. We arrived around 1 PM knowing check in isn't until 4 pm we were able to check into our rooms at 1 and got our bathing suits on and headed to beach. I was so impressed with this courtesy check-in.
The beach is just wonderful, the pools are delightful. plenty of seating for everyone and love the free umbrellas that are set up for you. The food for breakfast was great, I enjoyed the oatmeal so much I don't know how they make it but it was the bomb. Our stay at the Hilton was better than we expected we also had contact with Eric in the Travel and Tour desk he was a delight and other gentlemen there suggested a Puerto Rican restaurant which was great.
Housekeeping was a delight and did a fine job cleaning our rooms early in the day so when we got back in the afternoon our room was clean. the rooms were tiled floors and had granite tops on the dressers. I can tell you all that we had no complaints and were so appreciative of the fine customer service everyone had at this hotel. The last night the room next to us were having a screaming fight late in the evening, had nothing to do with the hotel, just class-less people. Our first time in Puerto Rico but will go back soon, very soon. I want to thank Caribe Hotel for making our vacation a life long wonderful memory. WE love puerto rico and the hilton.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 453 garden view we loved the room. loved the view. the noise from the generators...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Marian O
Hello there! thank you for staying with us and for your kind comments. It delights us to hear that you had a wonderful vacation.

We hope you and your family come back soon. We will be waiting.

at your service,

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for both business and pleasure. I love the open air lobby and bar. The pool and private beach are great for pleasure visits. The bar and Morton's Steak House, on property, are great for business. The rooms are nice in the main hotel. Try to stay in their towers if you would like nicer amenities, but there are a good walk from the lobby. Make sure to say Hola! to the residents parrots in the lobby.

Room Tip: If you want a nicer room, ask to stay in the towers, but it will be a bit of a walk.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Firebird42892
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hello there! thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback. We hope you had a wonderful stay and hope you visit us again soon

we are at your service

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!