“Olas spa at Hilton Caribe”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was very impressed by the Olas Spa at the Hilton Caribe. There is always a machine - elliptical or treadmill - available, I never had to wait. The staff is very helpful and nice. I got good advice about running trails in the area and also where to go to get great local food. It's so helpful that there are several TV's in the room which is a great perk.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Hello there! thank you for staying with us and for your kind comments. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our gym facilities.

We hope you visit us again soon

at your service,

There are newer reviews for Caribe Hilton San Juan

Reviewed 15 June 2014

First off: This place must have been here for ages and it does show its age in some places. I did stay in one of the renovated wings of the Hotel, which were nice and offered stunning views.

The service overall was nice (though I was surprised to find that they don't offer Hotel slippers) and the amenities are excellent: great pools, decent private beach, nice gardens, restaurants to fit every budget and, what I used the most, an outstanding fitness centre (among the best free Hotel fitness facilities I've seen).

Prices at the convenience store have a hefty markup compared to the rest of PR -- my tip: Go to the "Tropical Convience Store" just three houses away from the Parking Garage. They have normal PR prices (i.e., many times less).

My guess is that guests are either there for conferences (incl. me) or families, and it's great for both. I would say it's less ideal if you want to explore San Juan or PR.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark M

Hello thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We hope you and your family had a great stay. I see you were here with a Convention. We hope all went well

looking forward to your next visit. We are at your service

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Massive fail on multiple fronts.

I just tried to check into the Caribe Hilton today because I am attending a five day conference at the hotel. I made a reservation for an ocean view king sized bedroom back in April (three months ago). I have a confirmation email from the hotel confirming that specific room. Further, I have paid over $1,000 for that reservation.

Upon arriving to the hotel, I was informed that my room was not ready. I was told that with the hotel being fully booked for the conference that housekeeping had not had a chance to clean my room yet. The room was supposed to be available for check-in at 4pm and it's now 6:15. They told me it would be at least an hour before my room would be ready and that they would call me when it was available. After being on an eight hour flight, the last thing I really wanted to do was wait around for my room to open.

Then, to add insult to injury, I was informed that the room I had booked was not available. Nope, they overbooked and all they had left was a room with two full sized beds, or a room with a sofabed. Yes, a sofabed! I don't even know why they would have a room with a sofabed. It seems absurd to me. Since my husband accompanied me on this trip, I was also hoping for it to be a romantic getaway. Nope!

So, I'm still waiting for the room with two full-sized beds to open up so that my vacation can begin.

Serious incompetence on multiple fronts. First, if you're fully-booked and people have reserved rooms for a conference, maybe don't overbook your rooms. Second, if you know that you are going to be full because a conference is happening, maybe hire extra housekeeping staff so that you can clean your rooms in time for guests to check in.

And, my compensation for all of this was a $25 gift certificate for a seafood steak lunch place, but I'm a vegetarian. Not winning Hilton, not winning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnneB228
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Your remarks are highly valued. We apologize for the room placement and unquestionably understand your discomfort. There is a very precise structure in order to avoid this kind of inconvenience and it certainly did not work this specific time.

Our purpose and commitment is to provide you with impeccable and consistent hospitality and service, therefore I will kindly ask for you to give us a new opportunity to make it right. Thank you and please feel free to contact me at any time, it will be my pleasure to talk to you and to gain another opportunity to serve you.

at your service

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at the Hilton Caribe because my husband was attending a conference being held there; I was just along for a vacation. I might give this hotel more than 3 stars except that it was a really bad value.

Pros:
-Cool peacocks, lizards, and parrots on the grounds, although the parrots in the cage were a little sad.
- The Lemongrass restaurant was very tasty, although also very expensive.
- The 60 oz drinks at the Oasis bar are a pretty good deal ($27 for 60 oz vs $12 for 12 oz).
-There were always a bunch of taxis available.
- Private beach with water separated by rock wall is good for beginning or weak swimmers.
- Pina coladas (except at the swim up bar) are very very delicious - just average at the swim up bar.
- Our room suite was reasonably priced for the space and amenities, but not recently renovated and pretty shabby (tiles missing, stains, etc). Other parts of the hotel were renovated but seemed more expensive.

Cons
- We had signed up for the option to get upgraded for about $60 a night when we made our reservation, but when we got to the front desk they had processed us for a $150 upgrade. Further investigation revealed that this was $60/night for the room upgrade and $90/night to receive "Double hilton points". We aren't even hhonors members, so this was useless to us. They did agree to remove it from the bill.
- The upgrade was to a suite and we were hoping to have it available to have people from the conference up to the room to hang out. The night we had invited everyone, both elevators in our tower (Villas 2) were broken for several hours. Our room was on the 9th floor, and the staff was very flippant and kind of rude about it, saying people should just take the stairs (To the 9th floor?!) We ended up having to gather people by the pool instead, which was a good deal less private, and reduced the usefulness of the upgrade. No compensation was offered.
- The tv in our room was very hard to use, with a very clunky interface that wouldn't let you scan channels.
- You'll really be nickel and dimed at this hotel. A bowl of cereal is $8.00. A 16 oz bottle of soda at the gift shop is $3.50, while a 750 mL bottle of Jack Daniels is $60. A five minute taxi ride to old San Juan is $14 (and twice, the driver wouldn't drop us off where we wanted).
-When we checked out there was at least one mysterious charge on our final bill.
- The walls were really thin and we could hear people in the next room over like they were in our room.

Room Tip: The villas are far from the main hotel and kind of shabby but offer a lot more space and many have k...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Nice location, fantastic pool and beach. The service from the moment we checked in till checking out was outstanding. The staffs are very nice and helpful. Clean room and great restaurants . Emilio from the fitness center is awesome. Great coach and outstanding personality. This guy has a nice personality, he worked with us as he was our personal coach.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Hi there! thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton for your stay and for your kind comments. It delight us to hear that you had a wonderful stay and that you enjoyed our Fitness Facilities.

Thank you for your words towards Emilio I will make sure he knows of your comments.

We hope you visit us again soon

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We had planned on staying for three nights and checked out after one. The hotel is dated (we were in the main building) and hasn't changed much since I stayed there decades ago. Towels were on the gray side. We had a balcony overlooking a massive air conditioning unit so the noise drowned out the ocean sounds. I didn't feel like I was in PR with the muzak playing in the lobby and no night entertainment to speak of during the weekday unless you like yoga and bingo. There is a trolley that stops by the hotel and takes you to Old San Juan but that's about it. The happy hour mojitos were pretty good tho! We decided to go to another Hilton brand in SJ and after that experience I must say that Hilton ownership needs to kick it up a notch in PR since elsewhere it's still pretty good!

Room Tip: Stay away from the main and original building!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank C M

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am sorry that there were some issues that you were not completely satisfied with. I thank you for bringing them up in your review as your feedback is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. We will certainly use your comments to identify areas where we can improve our hospitality so that others do not share your experience.

We thank you again and we would like to have another opportunity to serve you

Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I love this place. There's no casino in the hotel but if you wish to gamble you'll only a $10 cab fare away (3-5miles). Beautiful views, private beach and nice pool complex with a swim up bar. The food is good but the appetizer special every night at Morton's Steakhouse (in the hotel) is great!
It's also a nice quiet safe place for families with kids.

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower are newer.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello! Thank you for your comments! We are very happy to hear that you had a wonderful time.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.

At your service,

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!