“WONDERFUL AND HELPFUL STAFF”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, Florida
“WONDERFUL AND HELPFUL STAFF”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I arrived at the hotel today and it was at full capacity. When I finally made it to my room which was in the Villa area, I found my refrigerator was open and being defrosted. The shower in the bathroom also did not look as clean as I would have liked. As soon as I called and spoke to the supervisor Genero, he immediately sent Gloribell from housekeeping to come and help. She was so sweet and accommodating; she cleaned and re-connected the fridge and re-cleaned the shower. She also offered me additional toiletries and told me to contact her if I needed anything further during my stay. Genero also personally visited my room to check to make sure that I was satisfied with everything. I could not be more impressed with the prompt service with a smile.

I also wanted to mention Johanna the operator in charge of room service orders. She was very helpful in letting me know in advance that there was a long wait for the food; she also provided me with a recommendation of what to order. Her suggestion was wonderful, I really enjoyed the steak I ordered!

Despite these issues, I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff was so friendly and helpful!!!

Room Tip: The villas are not in the main hotel building so if you wish to be closer, request a room in the mai...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Hello! thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton for your recent stay. We are very happy to hear your kind note. I am glad that we could immediately make your stay one better upon arrival.

I will make sure our team see your kind note and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

We are at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,565)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The location of this Grand Dame hotel is wonderful, including the private enclosed beach, lovely pools, and waterfront views. The rooms are large, and have balconies. We stayed in a suite with two queen beds, a large balcony, writing desk, and tv in one roome. The second room has a pull out sofa bed, and a lovely kitchenette with microwave, dishwasher and full size fridge as well as a second smaller bathroom. The furniture is wood and feels solid. Simple decor. Comfortable sheets, bed, pillow. Towels were a mix of fluffy and threadbare. The grounds are lovely, with lots of seating options, a nature area with interesting waterfowl, and then a terrific beachfront, with soft sand and plenty of beach chairs, big towels, etc. The ocean area is protected from large waves by a reef, and it is a pleasure to swim there- safe for the kids too. The pools are also lovely with lots of seating.

Despite the basic grandeur of the hotel, there was definitely a lack of attention to details. Housekeeping didn't empty the trash daily, and one day, didn't take wet washcloths draped over the tub (to prevent dripping elsewhere). The hot water wasn't working in the room (there are individual hot water heaters in the room), and it took three calls to get someone to come fix it. Even then, it was a bit hard to tell between the cold and the hot shower. There was only one glass in the bathroom (we were two colleagues sharing the room). Despite the kitchenette having some cookware, there was nothing to wash the dishes with. (no sponge, soap, etc.).

The work out room had a very nice atmosphere and up to date equipment. I would have liked to see some lighter free weights (4 lb, 8 lb, 12 lb) because the only choice was 5, 10, 15- for those of us who use only light weights, it was not ideal.

During our conference, the meeting rooms were way over air-conditioned, which made it hard to figure out what clothes to wear for comfort. At the end of one session, I was literally shivering.

I would be happy to come back again for a scientific conference for the hotel atmosphere and swimming options. Not sure I would make it a vacation destination.

Room Tip: The suites are a terrific value.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hello thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton for your recent stay. We appreciate your comments and apologize for any inconvenience caused to you while staying with us.

look forward to have another opportunity to serve you.

We are at your service,

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed in the Governor's Suite in the Tower, The most amazing room ever, and the views were incredible!!! This was our Honeymoon trip, we stayed here until it was time to board our cruise ship. When we first stepped into our Suite, we were both in awe of how amazing it was. Very spacious with over 2000 square feet on two different levels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Keith L
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were here for a wedding and the hotel was very good. The pool was large, but don't expect any long walks on the beach. Only about 250 feet of actual walkable beach front. Resort prices, but liquor store one block outside hotel. Liquor is high priced ($45 for a bottle of Jack Daniels) AND you can't buy at the duty free on your way in the country, only on the way out. This was a surprise to us.
San Juan is a 4 mile walk or $12 cab ride in. Cabs do not have meters, so ask before you ride.

Room Tip: Continental breakfast only with room. $9 to upgrade to hot breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Foxymule
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. It is a huge hotel complex with a matching huge number of tourists. It's beautifully located, has a nice beach, and well, it's the Caribbean, so that works! But I expect more from a Hilton. Our ocean view villa was a regular hotel room overlooking a narrow strip of water - the so called lagoon - and then a busy street and the city. The ocean is on the opposite side of the hotel complex. We had a narrow standing-room only balcony from which we could admire the (noisy) take-offs and landings from two very near airports. There are rooms on the ocean side with proper balconies, but I'm not sure how to identify them when booking. Air-conditioning is noisy and toiletries in the bathroom are sparse. The lobby is huge and includes a range of stores from a boutique with $1,000 shoes to a Quiznos. There are many bars and restaurants but the food is not that special. It's decent, but not outstanding. Same for the service. The breakfast buffet is limited and not worth $25. The restaurants have pretty seating areas. Allegedly Pina Coladas were invented here, but I've had better. The beach is very nice, probably wonderful for kids. Not much swimming, as the little beach cove is shut off from the ocean proper through a line of stones in the water, presumably to tame the waves, it's quite windy here. All in all, it's quite decent, but not really spectacular or special.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
bainbridge island, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Pros: Great location and pool/beach on premises. Staff is attentive and helpful. Cons: Room I stayed in in the Garden Wing was worn; dirty grout, furniture, and patio. Room needed a good refresh. Air Conditioner did not stay on...had to keep turning the fan on. The lobby bar is not staffed correctly to handle the volume of patrons. Good overall experience, but not what I would expect of a Hilton.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Matthew M
Pelham, Alabama
Reviewed 16 June 2014

As a Hilton Honor Gold Member I was given the worst room, dirty carpets and in some areas the carpet needed to be stretch. I was in the 14th floor Hilton Honors Member floor and that floor need to be closed. The hotel is in a nice spot, but if you are looking a hotel to relax don’t go there. Too busy and the staff is not friendly. The pool area is nice but it is always dirty, towels all over the floor, trash everywhere. The parking system is the worst I ever seen, you have to validate the ticket every time to go out and nobody explain how it works. The lobby and valet parking is a zoo. The property needs an upgrade. Dont expect any special care as a Hilton Honor Gold member, they dont care about it and they dont honor anything. I was another guess.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!