“Loud, Chaotic + Stolen $$ = worst night in Puerto Rico!”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Loud, Chaotic + Stolen $$ = worst night in Puerto Rico!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My family stayed here on our last night in Puerto Rico. I convinced my husband to leave the UTOPIA of the El Con Resort in Fajardo so that we could visit old San Juan for a day before we left. What a mistake in staying here!

First we arrived at noon and upon arrival were told our room probably would not be ready until 4. In our experience with early checkin we can usually safely check our bags and when the room is ready the bags are brought up to the room. Not here, they literally stay on the curb until your room is ready and then you are responsible for bringing them up. Because we wanted to see Old San Juan our choices were to either forgo the visit or take a chance with our bags sitting on the curb all day with no security. In fact we tested this by having my husband go over an hour later and open one of the bags and no one asked for proof the bag was his. In the end we "tipped" a bell boy to have them stored inside an office until our return. We were concerned our bags would not be safe.... little did we know the staff was more of a concern then the traffic going in and out of the hotel!

Our rooms (we had two adjoining) were beautiful, clean and the view as terrific. It's too bad that the incredibly loud guests kept us up all night. (screaming and yelling). At one point we had to ask security (1:30am) to talk to them so we could get some sleep. I have never seen people behave so poorly at a hotel, screaming day and night, from balcony to balcony. No respect for others.

The hotel safe is very high in the closet and unfortunately in our rush to make our flight we left my wallet behind. My husband emptied the safe (or so he thought) but because it is so high and we are not tall he did not see the wallet pushed to the back. Yes this is our error, however We IMMEDIATELY called the hotel and left messages regarding the wallet and were lucky that TSA allowed us on our flight. I worked with the front desk manager and Anna in lost and found and can't say enough about how well I felt they handled the wallet. They were top notch! Anna took care of sending the wallet back to me and I had it within 3 days of our visit. The biggest disappointment was that although the contents of the wallet were confirmed at the front desk, somehow the money went missing while in the hands of the security department. How ironic.

I called the Hotel manager regarding this matter and Nelson was quick to respond, however he promised to get back to us regarding the "missing" cash within a few days and we have heard nothing since. Our conversation was pleasant, I was sure to compliment the staff that was helpful, I just wanted the matter resolved in a appropriate way. It would be nice if a credit in the amount that was taken was applied to our stay but since I haven't head a thing since our first contact I'm assuming it is no longer a priority to Nelson or the management team.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Urban68
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Urban68

I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you endured while staying with us. As a Manager and a Hotelier, I definitely understand your discomfort and kindly invite you to contact me to further assist you on the mentioned matter.

My email is nelson.torres@hilton.com I will be available to assist you.

at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,587)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is absolutely the most stunning location in all of Puerto Rico. The top notch service, restaurants, bars, pools, and accomodations were incredible- should be rated a 5 star! Great for families, or a romantic getawayIt is a prime beautiful location at the entrance to Old San Juan in close proximity to everything. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank 62bettyw
Albertville, Alabama
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Such an awesome Hotel this resort was amazing, very nice rooms that over look the ocean, the resort has so much to offer you could have an awesome stay without even leaving the resort. The staff was very welcoming and helpful with need that we had.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hello! thank you for staying with us and for your comments. It is great to hear that you had a great time. We hope you return again soon

at your service,

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Facilities among common areas were very nice. However, when I got to my room the bathroom door was broken and the refrigerator was out of service.
Once downstairs, the pool and beach facilities were nice; however, there was a lack of servers I ended up going to the counters to get my beverages and something to eat.
In general plus and minus was a fair service.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments, your feedback is important to us in order to better understand your need and where we can improve

We thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your prompt return.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I just returned from a short weekend stay (Sat-Mon) at Caribe Hilton with my wife, and we have a very pleasant stay. First off, it's an easy cab ride to the hotel from the airport, with rates preset ($19 + $2 approved gas surcharge + $1 per luggage), kudos to City of San Juan. Don't have to worry about driver running longer routes or traffic jam.... Upon arrival, check-in was quick. I have been a long time Gold member and was given an upgrade to a beach front room on the 10th floor of Main Building. Spectacular view... Room is clean... Private beach is very nice.... We were given breakfast voucher for either free continental breakfast or $10 upgrade to a full breakfast. We paid the $10 and it's well worth it. (Regular price is $23.75, I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it.).... Final note: it's technically walkable to Old San Juan, about 2 miles/40 minutes. But it might be too hot to walk before sunset. You can take a bus for $0.75 (coins only) or taxi is $12 (preset). We did all three... We'll definitely return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul W
Hi there! thank you for choosing us for your recent stay and your comments. It delight us to hear that you and your wife had a great time.

We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Service is a mixed bag from completely awful to above and beyond. Considering the unemployment rate in PR you would think people would be happy to do their job. Otherwise the property is beautiful and has a nice mix of dining options.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that you left feeling this way. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you endured.

We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at Caribe Hilton as part of a conference and were given a room in the main (newly renovated) building. The room itself was quite nice - plenty of power points and the bed was comfortable. Although we paid extra for an ocean front room however, we had to crane our heads to see it - more like ocean to the side.

There were unexpected surprises that we discovered, which came with staying here for a week. Firstly, the omelettes that were freshly made in the buffet downstairs were amazing, and I looked forward to them every morning. Definitely definitely worth a visit! Secondly, the peacock garden was spectacular - iguanas and swans, turtles, lizards, a turkey - wow! Again, definitely worth a visit!

However, the bar downstairs was very noisy after about 5pm (live music most nights), and it was difficult to find food onsight after breakfast beside hamburgers and fried food. Every time I wanted to go outside to the beach, a security man insisted on seeing my room card, and once searched my bag. For what?! A beach ball? The hotel is also quite far away from most shops and old San Juan (about a $14 cab ride). Overall, it was quite nice but a bit run down.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the peacock garden will be quieter and rooms in the main building have been newly re...