“I will come back to stay in this hotel again” 4 of 5 bubbles

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“I will come back to stay in this hotel again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were given a room in the tower when we first checked in. It was old and we didn't care for it. So we requested a room in the main building. The staff who helped us switch the room was not too helpful. She seemed to us that she didn't like her job. Anyways, the room in the main building was a lot nicer. However, the toilet flush wasn't working, so we made our second request to change to a different room. The room we finally stayed was nice, no problem! The front desk staffs were helpful but slow. The housekeepers were nice and friendly, especially Mitha (I promised her I would write a review about how wonderful she was)! She even greeted me with my name before I even told her what my name was! It was amazing! My husband, myself and my two kids (12 and 9) enjoyed our 7 days in this hotel. The beds were comfortable, the ocean views were awesome. The pools were nice with a decent size. The beach was gorgeous! We enjoyed all the pools everyday during our stay! The complimentary coffee was awesome! There were two days there weren't any complimentary cofffee in front of the restaurant, so I just asked the staff at the restaurant to see if they would make me some. I was very glad that the staff made me two complimentary cappuicino instead! They were awesome! I wish I knew her name! I just wanted to thank her! We enjoyed all the animals in the garden, especially Mr. Turkey! He would stay in the same spot, which was between two big rocks. It made people think that he pretend himself to be one of the rock and not to be bothered! We had a good dance by the bar in the hotel. DJs were helpful and awesome. They let us ordered a song we loved to hear (Balindo!) We would definitely come back to stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hi there! thank you so much for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your preferred Hotel in beautiful Puerto Rico. It delight us to hear that you had a great vacation. We are sorry about the misteps upon arrival.

Thank you for your kind words towards our stars. We will make sure to share your story.

looking forward to your return.

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,509)
  • Polish first
São Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Nothing special...
One of the two elevators from our tower wasnt working, so we has to wait long time (sometimes we did not fit at first stop) and when we got inside it always full of people!
Despite the hotel area being very big, everywhere was crowded, from the pool, to the beach and the hall!
I didnt feel I was in a luxury hotel at all!!!!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for staying at the Caribe Hilton during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

I would like to express our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered while in our property. We take your feedback very serious and will share them with our team members and Management for proper follow up.

We thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your prompt return.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was the second time I have stayed at the Caribe Hilton and I'll state that I will stay here again. It's been 4 years since I was in Puerto Rico so it was nice to stay somewhere familiar.

The hotel hasn't changed that much and the one thing it does need to do is update the carpeting in the hallways, which is starting to look worn and dated. It's things like this that make you question what the rooms could be like once you open the door.

As it happens the rooms are just fine, the amenities good and in working order. The free wi-fi works without issue, the refrigerator didn't have any problems, so all in all we enjoyed our stay.

One thing to note: Our first weekend coincided with the annual Coors Summer Beach Party, which translates to a late night for all with adolescents in and out of rooms until the wee hours or Security told them to cut it out.

The hotel is close to Condado, the Isla Verde, and Old San Juan so getting anywhere is easy. If you like El Hamburger, it's just a short walk (10 mins) from the hotel.

I'll be back.

Room Tip: If you're in the main tower see if you can get an even numbered room. These have great views of...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank bogusted
Lexington, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for work trip in February/March 2014 and it was great. I travel extensively throughout the United States and all its U.S. Territories and have stayed in hundreds of properties...I'm a pretty picky traveler, too, so if it passed my standards, it was great. I'd read all the negative reviews about the outdated rooms and was amazed that they were all wrong. The property is beautiful, the pool staff is great, the food is delicious with lots of choices and the rooms are very comfortable. It is located near drug stores and restaurants within walking distance. The beach is safe and nice to do morning and evening walks. Don't trust the negatives because they are from people who are pickier about the cleanliness of the hotel rooms than their own homes! Great hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
      Rooms
2 Thank LisaandDonald
Hello! thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your home away from home in beautiful Puerto Rico. We are delighted to hear that you had a great time. Appreciate your kind words.

looking forward to your next stay.

at your service,

Plant City, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was a nice hotel, a little older looking on the outside, but clean rooms and friendly staff, great pool with swim up bar and private beach, food was great at the Lemongrass restaurant and there is a Starbucks in the lobby.

DO NOT rent a car from Allied across the street form the hotel. They rent you a junker, for twice as much as anyone else, lie and keep your deposit for 10 days. Constant run around.

Enterprise at the hotel is awesome, but reserve in advance as they have limited vehicles.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cheryl H
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Was able to get the room for $99, the A/C worked well, beds were very comfortable and linens were all in good condition. Good-sized safe in the room, could accommodate a small laptop. Good internet access. Good Puerto Rican coffee and hot water dispenser, hairdryer, TV with good stations. Small refrigerator never really got cold, and despite three calls to the front desk and to housekeeping, they never came to replace the unit as requested. Nice variety of swimming pools, but all were filthy. Lots of misbehaving drunks at the pool by the bar, flipping their cigarette butts into the pool where the kids were swimming. Really cool people. Along the ledge by the pool were several piles of animal or large bird poop, which sat there for two days until we finally complained. Noticed the next day it had just been swept into the rocks next to the pool. Fortunately there is also a small beachfront area, so a swim in the ocean made for a much cleaner environment. The Italian restaurant off the lobby had good pizzas, but do stay away from the Lemongrass sushi restaurant. There was a good reason few people were there - the sushi was some of the worst I've had anywhere, and clearly not made fresh on site. The pickled ginger and the sushi, too, all tasted like disinfectant. Even the pina colada's started taking like disinfectant! There was a reasonably-priced Quizno's on site, a couple of Starbucks and a more up-scale Morton's Steak House. At Morton's the lobster bisque arrived with a thick film on top of it, like it had cooled for too long before being served. The sauteed broccolini was almost rock hard. The tomatoes in the tomato and blue cheese salad were also rock hard. The hotel location? Not that great. There is really no place within a short walking distance to catch a good meal. There's a Subway and tiny market across the street, but the whole area smelled like urine and/or sewer gas, so not very appetizing place to stick around. You can walk to Old San Juan from the hotel but is a good 30-45 minute jaunt. A taxi from the airport to the hotel will cost $23, takes around 15 minutes. (No airport shuttle available at the hotel.) Did the all-day tour to the El Junque rain forest and Luquillo Beach - $80 per adult and $70 for kids, spent more time picking up people at other hotels than we spent at the rain forest, but it was still a nice diversion from the city of San Juan.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms that don't face the beach boast a "balcony".. Not. It's a chai...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
2 Thank Caljogger
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We (me and my wife) and kids (3 year and 1 year old) stayed for 5 days here. As the title says, here is what impressed us:

1. When we arrived, we asked if their rooms have microwave, by the time we checked-in and arrived our room there was a lady walking with a microwave, quiet impressive, just have to say and they did it.
2. Lobby have couple of parrots and birds which both my kids loved talking to everytime we passed by
3. On other side of resort is an animal habitat, you can spot peacock, lizards, iguana etc etc. Very nice for kids
4. Beach is quiet impressive, private beach with lagoon, even kids would enjoy swimming in water, no danger of high waves. Other side is rocky where you can enjoy tides hitting and splashing.
5. Small play area for kids on one side of resort.
6. Pool area is appropriate for kids of all ages.
7. Plenty of options to eat inside resort from formal dining to casual dining, inside you have star bucks and quiznos subs. That makes up lot of options for kids from pizza to sandwitch, also we enjoyed casual dining at Pina Colada, very very nice, must go once during the stay even if you are not with kids, best Mojito we had was here.
8. During our stay we visited Old San Juan, San Juan National Historic Site & El Yunque National Forest. First two are very near and Rainforest also not too far.
9. Property is not too far from airport which saves lot of time on day of arrival and departure.

I think I can keep on writing, everything was great, except parking which is little cumbersome, we opted for Valet during our complete stay but its bit expensive, overall very nice, only one star less, though it very nice but still expensive to stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,077 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!