“Crowded and Dirty but Beautiful Location”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This resort was a little disappointing for me. After a long day of flights and little sleep, I was actually so upset when I saw the room that I started crying. I booked the "Junior Suite," which is a gorgeous room but I was given a "1 Bedroom Suite," which I believe is a cheaper room. I felt really cheated when I discovered that the room looked nothing like the one I had booked. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and this was, by far, the dirtiest room I've seen. There was dust on every surface, the area rug was stained and poorly vacuumed and the tile floors needed mopping. The shower grout and the silicone seal around the glass door were quite moldy and the glass was cloudy and frosty looking from the soap scum buildup. Some of the surfaces in the bathroom and the bedroom looked streaky and cloudy as if they had been cleaned with a dirty rag. I actually cleaned the room myself that first day and that made it feel a little better. The first time the bedding was changed, however, the fresh bedding smelled so weird I had to ask the staff to change them again. The towels had a similar smell that day.

The rest of the resort is also in need of cleaning but the natural beauty was a great distraction from that. The ocean, pool and courtyard/sanctuary were stunning. There is a small pool near the villas that isn't usually crowded but the main pool is severely overcrowded and filled mostly with unsupervised children. The wildlife sanctuary has a turkey, chicken, ducks, geese, swans and peacocks and may be the best part of the resort.

The restaurants in the resort was quite overpriced. I tried Morton's The Steakhouse and wasn't impressed by the service. The waiter was not friendly and the service was really slow. I went for the dessert but when my salad took so long to arrive, I opted to end it there and go to Starbucks for dessert instead. I heard Morton's has some killer chocolate cake but I didn't have the patience to wait for it.

The location of the resort is very convenient and makes it easy to walk around town without paying for a taxi or renting a car. Overall, I would recommend this resort because it appears to be one of the best in the area, which is busy and crowded but don't set your expectations too high and don't stay here if you want a really nice room. This is not a resort that I would describe as "luxury," but it has a fun atmosphere and gorgeous natural surroundings.

Room Tip: Get the cheapest room available because that is probably what they will give you anyway.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kate D
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We try to always go above and beyond for our guests and I am very sorry to hear that we were unable to do that for you. I want you to know that all of the inconveniences you experienced will be addressed with the proper departments and we hope that we can have the chance to have you as a guest in the future and will be able to exceed your expectations as we always try to do. Thank you again.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Third time at Caribe Hilton. Nice and relaxing. Made me nervous watching unattended kids jumping and running all over pool areas in the pool. Note no lifeguards on duty so seemingly kids running amok off pool structures and pool planters into the pools. Beautiful palm trees and there is a Starbucks at the pool. Easy walk to Condado and even we walked to old town San Juan

Room Tip: We had floor ten ocean view and over very large pool/ beach area
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gerry S
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We've been coming to the Caribe Hilton since 1985 (my honeymoon) and every time we love it here, the location,private beach,all settings, restaurant, and best of all the views and peaceful surroundings. This time was a family reunion, our family came for the first time to the Caribe Hilton and love it, we are already making plans for our next trip here. The best Location is at the main Building!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank miami4fun
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Had a 4 night stay here last September for my boyfriend's 30th birthday. After check in, we got sent up to a room where our keys didn't work. We went back to the check in desk & got this fixed, but when we finally got in we realized we were in a noisy room next to the big A/C units outside (obviously not a pleasant view either from the balcony). We called downstairs & asked if we could switch rooms. They gave us two options (one was exactly the same and other was better...no loud A/C noise!) Aside from this, the staff downstairs... valet, security guard, & bellman were always very helpful and attentive. Lines to the concierge & main desk were always too packed, but these guys would always answer all our questions well. The pool area is very nice. Best part I'd say is the pool & the location of the hotel... you're close to practically everything! Only other issue I had in the room was that the blow dryer didn't work... I called and asked for another one and when the lady came she tried to tell us it should work fine. She tried and saw it didn't, but she had a bit of an attitude about it. After all, it's a nice, convenient hotel. Not exactly what I expected, but I'm guessing maybe when I went it just wasn't properly staffed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the loud outdoor A/C unit noise!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kiara M
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Caribe Hilton has a prime location just beside the wonderful Condado Beach area and a short walk from wonderful parks, and a beautiful scenic 1 mile or so walk down to the Old San Juan and Area.

The resort sits on the ocean with beautiful views of the water, Condado the Fort from the higher views. WIth it's own private lagoon you can swim and play in the water or simply relax on the beach or poolside with an excellent view.

The renovated rooms are very nice and spacious with excellent views all around. The garden is superb, but the from the "garden villa" categories leaves much to be desired. There is plenty of restaurants, a beautiful open air lobby and a nice, quiet spa for your use.

This is a perfect location for a wedding party, family vacation or just a business stay. The property is excellent for pre or post cruise stays as it's location is quite central. Walking distance to the restaurants of Condado, and a short 10 min cab to the airport or 5 minutes to Old San Juan. You won't go wrong with a stay here!

Room Tip: stay away from the garden rooms, and remember the higher you go the better the views
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My fiance, myself and my seven year old son traveled here in March 2014. The best part of our trip was our travels to old San Juan. The Food at the Hilton is very expensive. Not much activity for kids. The sand on beach is dirty as well as too much seaweed. We walked most nights to condado area or took cab/bus to old San juan. Definitely not the place to travel with children. Nor would I travel back with my fiance or friends.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ksegg
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Checked in for the very first time...last visited 1974! Okay, it has grown and expanded but it is out of control! It's huge and crowded and not properly staffed. Disappointment at finding my bathroom had been overlooked in the turnover after the check-in line took forever. There were lines everywhere...for food, for drink, for towels. The only calming effect was the spa building. The food is pedestrian and the breakfast restaurant cannot possibly handle all of the hotel guests. Luckily the most efficient thing about the hotel was the taxi line to escape! On the plus side, wifi is free.

Room Tip: Try the newest tower.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends