“Our experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Our experience”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed in Caribe Hilton in March 2014 as part of our package with a Royal Caribbean cruise. We were very pleased with our room, though a little dated, but very comfy after a flight from London. We had to ring for coffee and milk which was included but none in the tray, that was delivered fairly promptly, and next morning, what a delight to find the lovely beach and explore the surroundings. We were picked up at 1pm to join our ship, but did make use of the beach towels and I had a lovely swim. Left saying we would love to stay a week as San Juan is a beautiful place old and new.
Not keen on this swiping your credit card even though already paid for, as when we arrived home from our cruise, we noticed the Hilton had taken £51+ from our bank account. I did ring and it took some time before the problem was solved. With the difference of the $ and £ - it took a month for it to go back into our account and we lost out by £4 through no fault of our own, as we were told it should not have been charged to us at all. Anyway, I am pleased to say that just this month, the £5 was put back into our account so we have been fully paid back, but I would have been happier had it not happened at all. Thank you Hilton, we really did enjoy our stay, pity this ever happened.

Room Tip: We had a garden room, it was quiet, sunny and comfy
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,587)
  • Polish first
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Went to the hotel with my Mom and fam as a getaway. Our room was awesome. Had a great view as well as a clean room. The location is easy to get around and the views are incredible. The beach and pool are stunning and made me not want to ever leave. My favorite part of my stay were my work outs at the gym. Emilio AKA "Kung Fu Panda" was attentive, informative and extremely kind in trying to assist me in the changes I am trying to make. He treated everyone that walked through the door the exact same way, and it was hard to believe that with the running around he does to keep the facilities clean, he can even make the time to do that. The views and Emilio made this trip a 10 out of 10 for me.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room and a higher floor.
1 Thank Maritza S
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I'm a Hilton hotel person and primarily always book Hilton properties. I even own a timeshare with their Grand Vacations Club. Every time I go to Puerto Rico I stay at this hotel, mainly because of routine. However, I need to say that this site needs a makeover from the bottom up. The rooms are worn, despite the relatively new decor. The HVAC tends to feel humid. Elevators are always malfunctioning in the main building. Restaurants on site are limited in quality. Generally the staff is not as friendly as you might expect for a Hilton property. The check-in process if arriving late can be long with minimal counter help at later arrival times. I need to say that I also stay with a "special" corporate rate, so I can often overlook the shortfalls. However, there are some better quality hotels in the Condado/Isla Verde area that may be worth investigating. Even for vacationers, don't set the bar too high for expectations, you could be let down.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Erik K
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am sorry that there were some issues that you were not completely satisfied with. I thank you for bringing them up in your review as your feedback is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. We will certainly use your comments to identify areas where we can improve our hospitality so that others do not share your experience.

Your business is extremely important to us and I sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity and consider returning again

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Overall, this was a fabulous hotel. It had a little bit of everything-stuff for the kids and stuff for the adults. We stayed in the garden wing and had a view overlooking the garden. It was beautiful. The main building is updated and fresh and new but I liked the view better from our room. When we were not exploring the island, we spent most of our time in the pool. The pool is awesome and the kids had a blast. The kids loved trying to search for frogs in the garden and enjoyed all the birds that roamed around. They also loved trying to teach the parrots in the lobby new words.
Most of the staff was really nice and helpful with the exception of one concierge and two of the waitstaff. The front desk staff was exceptionally friendly and always helpful. They gave us the wrong room at first but we were easily able to change. The only really bad thing about this hotel was how ridiculously expensive everything is. The restaurants are extremely overpriced and the food is definitely not worth it. I would reccomend adjusting your schedule to make sure you are able to have dinner in old san juan. You can spend a little less and the food is so much better. I would recommend Cafe Berlin (especially if you are vegetarian-fabulous food) and Greengos for the best mexican and artistic environment ever. Oh also, if you plan on doing laundry keep in mind that this giant hotel has only one coin operated washer and dryer in the entire building. So if you want clean clothes, show up really early or be prepared to camp out and wait like I had to. Oh and the walls are a little thin and sometimes the neighbors are noisy.

Room Tip: In my opinion the Garden rooms had the best view but the main building had a more modern and refresh...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hello there thank you for choosing us for your recent stay in beautiful Puerto Rico. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences endured by you and your family and hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

we are at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This resort was a little disappointing for me. After a long day of flights and little sleep, I was actually so upset when I saw the room that I started crying. I booked the "Junior Suite," which is a gorgeous room but I was given a "1 Bedroom Suite," which I believe is a cheaper room. I felt really cheated when I discovered that the room looked nothing like the one I had booked. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and this was, by far, the dirtiest room I've seen. There was dust on every surface, the area rug was stained and poorly vacuumed and the tile floors needed mopping. The shower grout and the silicone seal around the glass door were quite moldy and the glass was cloudy and frosty looking from the soap scum buildup. Some of the surfaces in the bathroom and the bedroom looked streaky and cloudy as if they had been cleaned with a dirty rag. I actually cleaned the room myself that first day and that made it feel a little better. The first time the bedding was changed, however, the fresh bedding smelled so weird I had to ask the staff to change them again. The towels had a similar smell that day.

The rest of the resort is also in need of cleaning but the natural beauty was a great distraction from that. The ocean, pool and courtyard/sanctuary were stunning. There is a small pool near the villas that isn't usually crowded but the main pool is severely overcrowded and filled mostly with unsupervised children. The wildlife sanctuary has a turkey, chicken, ducks, geese, swans and peacocks and may be the best part of the resort.

The restaurants in the resort was quite overpriced. I tried Morton's The Steakhouse and wasn't impressed by the service. The waiter was not friendly and the service was really slow. I went for the dessert but when my salad took so long to arrive, I opted to end it there and go to Starbucks for dessert instead. I heard Morton's has some killer chocolate cake but I didn't have the patience to wait for it.

The location of the resort is very convenient and makes it easy to walk around town without paying for a taxi or renting a car. Overall, I would recommend this resort because it appears to be one of the best in the area, which is busy and crowded but don't set your expectations too high and don't stay here if you want a really nice room. This is not a resort that I would describe as "luxury," but it has a fun atmosphere and gorgeous natural surroundings.

Room Tip: Get the cheapest room available because that is probably what they will give you anyway.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kate D
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We try to always go above and beyond for our guests and I am very sorry to hear that we were unable to do that for you. I want you to know that all of the inconveniences you experienced will be addressed with the proper departments and we hope that we can have the chance to have you as a guest in the future and will be able to exceed your expectations as we always try to do. Thank you again.
Celebration, Florida
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Third time at Caribe Hilton. Nice and relaxing. Made me nervous watching unattended kids jumping and running all over pool areas in the pool. Note no lifeguards on duty so seemingly kids running amok off pool structures and pool planters into the pools. Beautiful palm trees and there is a Starbucks at the pool. Easy walk to Condado and even we walked to old town San Juan

Room Tip: We had floor ten ocean view and over very large pool/ beach area
2 Thank Gerry S
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We've been coming to the Caribe Hilton since 1985 (my honeymoon) and every time we love it here, the location,private beach,all settings, restaurant, and best of all the views and peaceful surroundings. This time was a family reunion, our family came for the first time to the Caribe Hilton and love it, we are already making plans for our next trip here. The best Location is at the main Building!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!