“Meh.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte
“Meh.”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Best part of the hotel by FAR was its proximity to a pretty decent snorkeling area on the property. Not great snorkeling, but well-protected artificial reef with some reasonably pretty corals taking hold, and lots of pretty fish. Otherwise reef was kinda silty, but the fish were marvelous. We saw a wide variety of beautiful reef fish (tang, sea cucumber, angelfish, surgeonfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish, damselfish, jacks, needlefish...you get the idea). That part was pretty good. Otherwise, the hotel was only mediocre. Facility was clean, we always felt safe, and we saw no run-down areas, but the food was unremarkable and overpriced (except at the on-site Quiznos or Starbucks), and the service of concierge and front desk staff was professional but hardly welcoming. I don't expect glad-handing or obsequiousness, but I would like a little more than bored professionalism. Back to food: Quiznos highly recommended for breakfast. Avoid the Subway around the corner for anything. On-site restaurants (both sit-down and pool area were adequate, but again expensive for what you got. On about half of our drinks, we questioned whether there was any alcohol in them at all (and we weren't looking for particularly strong ones). Location isn't very convenient for walking, but taxis were always available. There is an understaffed Enterprise car rental place on site (granted understaffing of that isn't hotel's fault), so waiting to get or drop off a car can take a while. That said, it was cheaper to rent there than at airport. All in all, while we did not have a bad experience at all (walking 10 yards out the hotel door and swimming with tropical fish was memorable), don't think we'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rugbyrabbit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,573)
  • Polish first
Redondo Beach
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have stayed at many hotels in the San Juan area including the other Hilton (Condado Plaza).

This location needs to be improved. It is not up to a good standard. I have Gold status with Hilton Honors but this does not get you much at this hotel. There is a resort fee which is assessed ($32.40 per day + tax)which is excessive and unjustified. The one time we needed towels there were none available. The "free breakfast" in the Giardino restaurant is a bad excuse. The cheapest of everything and standard cut melon fare on a tropical island. The value of this breakfast is maximum $3.00 per person.

The room was in the "Condado Lagoon Villa" wing which seemed like an "overflow" area in case the main hotel was booked. Rooms were adequate but worn out.

Next time I will stay somewhere else where I am not treated like a milking cow.

2 Thank happytravels1212
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and submitting your review. Our goal is to provide you with a memorable guest experience and I'm sorry we were not able to exceed your expectations with our facilities. I will share your comments with our staff so we can focus on improving. Thank you for the recommendation. I hope you will join us again soon.

Tampa, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Caribe Hilton Hotel have the most wonderful view from the 19 floor which I was able to move to, thanks to one of your employees at the front desk who gave us that room the next day, originally we were at the 3rd floor looking at the parking lot, for 6 days no way. The Hotel's room's carpets are in very bad shape, they need to be replaced, and the room smell was not the best in the world. But As I say the beach is spectacular which compensate for the carpets been badly. You do have a problem with the parking 18 dollars a day? And coming in and out by having to validate the ticket was an aggravation. Thanks for listening.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hello! thank you for choosing us for your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback. We hope you had a wonderful visit and look forward to have another opportunity to serve you.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed a week at this hotel. Dont stay here if you are not a gold or higher level in hilton honors unless you want to pay 25 bucks for breakfast. Arrived early; rooms not ready. Waited over an hour and when 9 others after me got a room I had to go back up to the desk. But that was to no avail...my assisgned room was still not ready! The lobby staff were quite unfriendly. Finally got into room and it had no towels, no bags in trashcan=not ready. During yhe course of the week several conferences took place and were zet up zuch that you had to walk through the group. Very awkward walking through the well dressed atendees in my flip-flops and swimtrunks. The beach area and the pool bar were great. First time snorklers will like the small tidal break within easy swim distance. Hiram was the first bartendar to assist us and he was awesome. He did a great job with a great attitude despite being tremendously busy. Many others at this hotel should take some customer service lessons from him. Summary...get gold status; dont expect high degree of customer service inside; but find Hiram at the pool bar and enjoy the scene outside.

Room Tip: Get gold status, minimum, before coming here.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. We are sorry about the inconveniences you experienced while visiting us. Rest assured that your comments are very important for us and we will follow up accordingly. We appreciate your kind words towards Hiram.

We hope you visit us again soon, we are at your service

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The best part of my trip was hanging at the pool bar with the bartender Hiram. He makes the best piña coladas ever...he even brought in a coconut from home so I can drink out of it. The best service I have ever gotten at a bar...

• Stayed August 2014
Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is very run down, does not fit into the high quality Hilton standards. The beach area was nice but you pay extra 18% for use of pool chairs and umbrella, then they still expect a tip for setting the umbrella up. The hallways are dark and are need of great repair. The renovation work down in our room was sloppy with no care taken. Do not pay extra for the ocean view room. We got 4th floor overlooking the convention centre roof and all you could see was a small piece of the ocean. There are other hotels in the area that are superior. Food at the restaurant was good and service was good. Have stayed at many Hiton chain hotels over the years and this is the worse one I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Pick a room with balcony. Don't pay extra for the ocean view. Visit the beach instead.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We try to always go above and beyond for our guests and I am very sorry to hear that we were unable to do that for you. I want you to know that all of the inconveniences you experienced will be addressed with the proper departments and we hope that we can have the chance to have you as a guest in the future and will be able to exceed your expectations as we always try to do. We are at your service,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was excited about staying in this hotel, as it looked like it was going to be really nice and all the pictures on their website looked amazing. Plus, it's a Hilton, so it's gotta be good, right? WRONG. I was traveling for business and had just taken a long flight in from LA in time to check in and head straight to work. I brought my bags up to the room and immediately noticed it was a little run down. That's okay, as long as it's clean, right? I drop my bags and head out to work.

I finally get back to my room around midnight, exhausted from work and travel and decide to take a shower. That's when I notice how disgusting the bathroom is. Hair everywhere. Dirt (or something) all over the sink. Stains on the mirror. Stains on the towels. And then I notice that they didn't even bother to give me new toiletries, as the lotion is nearly empty and has a long black hair coming out of it. Well, I guess no shower for tonight. I pull back the covers of the bed, and thank goodness the bed is fine, so I crawl in ready to pass out. My neighbors had other plans as they arrived home around 1:30 and decided to put Beyonce on at full blast. They also took showers, and their pipes were right next to my head and were clanging away. They finally go to sleep, but not for long! 6:00 a.m. comes around, and it's Beyonce part II.

Fed up with the neighbors and the disgusting bathroom, I head down to the front desk to ask for a room change...the first time I have ever done this. The woman at the front desk is apologetic and gives me coupons for free drinks at the bar (she didn't bother to mention that the bar would be closed the next two nights for a private party, so I couldn't even use the coupons). She tells me that they'll move me into a new room as soon as it's ready and they'll even move my luggage for me. Hopeful that this room will be better than the last, I head out for a day of sightseeing before I head out to work that night again.

Well, what do you know when I go to check in to my new room? SAME PROBLEMS with the bathroom and my luggage is no where to be found. I call the bell desk and they tell me they were never informed to move my stuff, so they'll try to find it. 30 minutes go by, and I now need my backpack as it has work stuff in it, so I call down again. Still haven't found my bags. I finally go down to the bell desk to find it as I really need my backpack. They finally find it and bring it up 5 minutes before I have to leave for work. Still no shower BTW, as this bathroom might be worse than the first.

I finally get back to the room around 1:00 a.m. and decide to just suck it up and take a shower. But the toiletries are all used again and I didn't bring my own shampoo and conditioner. So I call housekeeping. Rings for about 2 minutes and no one answers. I call the front desk and they say they'll bring some up. 40 minutes go by and I call down again. This time, the phone rings for 8 minutes. When someone finally picks up, they say it'll be right up. 15 minutes later, no toiletries, so I go downstairs. Well they only have shampoo at the front desk, but they say the conditioner will be right up. 10 minutes later, I finally get what I asked for over an hour ago. It's 1:00 a.m., they cannot possibly be too busy to deliver some toiletries.

At this point I'm beyond frustrated and tired, I take my shower in the gross, dirty shower and turn on the A/C. What happens next is really just the cherry on the sundae. Tiny little bugs start flying out of the unit and running all over the wall. I grab a piece of toilet paper and start squishing them as quickly as I can so they don't fly around the room and into my bed. 20 minutes later, it's now 3:00 a.m. and I am done. Done with this trip and done with this nasty hotel.

I will never in a million years come back to this hotel and don't recommend you stay here.

Room Tip: Apparently there is a "new" tower that they tend to maintain. I would recommend asking to...
5 Thank HeatherLeigh1
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us at our hotel. I understand that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness and freshness of your guest room and am deeply disappointed by that. I sincerely apologize for this and assure you that this area is of great importance to us as we ensure the comfort and satisfaction for our guests. We’re very sorry you were unhappy with the variety of the food and with the appearance of our property. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!