I stay at the Caribe whenever I am in San Juan for work. Overall, I can say it is a good layover hotel. The rooms are clean and tiled. The bathrooms are above average, with large showers and most have both normal shower heads and overhead rain-type shower heads.
The real upside to this hotel is the beach and swimming. They are located on a lagoon with a break water which keeps the water relatively calm. They have two swim platforms which tend to have some interesting tropical fish hanging around underneath them. There is a large, round platform shaped like a banjo with many mattresses to lay out on with no reservations required. They also have cabanas near the rocky, main shore in front of the hotel which require reservations. The pool looks nice and there are usually many people using it. However, with the nice, shallow swimming beach/area I didn't see a need for the pool.
This hotel lays claim to inventing the Piña Colada, so of course you may want to try one at either of the outdoor bars around the pool area. Don't expect anything earth shattering...but at least you can say you a Piña Colada at the birth place of the Piña Colada!
If you are there at night, wonder down to the break water. You will see a platform overlooking the ocean near where the lagoon meets the ocean. It is lit up by large lights shining down into the ocean. Depending on what is in the water that night, you should be able to see some fish....usually Barracuda. On my most recent visit, there were about 6-8 large Barracuda patrolling the area for whatever fish were attracted to the light. It was pretty neat to see!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic and iconic Caribe Hilton offers an ideal combination of leisure facilities and activities and is home to Caribar, the birthplace of the pina colada. The resort is situated on a private 17-acre lushly landscaped peninsula with a secluded beach and is located near the Old San Juan historic district and many of the destination's top attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Prestigia, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotelopia, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Caribe Hilton San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caribe Hilton San Juan Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel Caribe
- Hilton San Juan
- San Juan Caribe Hilton Hotel