“Nice oceanfront, average rooms”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stay at the Caribe whenever I am in San Juan for work. Overall, I can say it is a good layover hotel. The rooms are clean and tiled. The bathrooms are above average, with large showers and most have both normal shower heads and overhead rain-type shower heads.

The real upside to this hotel is the beach and swimming. They are located on a lagoon with a break water which keeps the water relatively calm. They have two swim platforms which tend to have some interesting tropical fish hanging around underneath them. There is a large, round platform shaped like a banjo with many mattresses to lay out on with no reservations required. They also have cabanas near the rocky, main shore in front of the hotel which require reservations. The pool looks nice and there are usually many people using it. However, with the nice, shallow swimming beach/area I didn't see a need for the pool.

This hotel lays claim to inventing the Piña Colada, so of course you may want to try one at either of the outdoor bars around the pool area. Don't expect anything earth shattering...but at least you can say you a Piña Colada at the birth place of the Piña Colada!

If you are there at night, wonder down to the break water. You will see a platform overlooking the ocean near where the lagoon meets the ocean. It is lit up by large lights shining down into the ocean. Depending on what is in the water that night, you should be able to see some fish....usually Barracuda. On my most recent visit, there were about 6-8 large Barracuda patrolling the area for whatever fish were attracted to the light. It was pretty neat to see!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank chrisfliesalot
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for your review, We are happy to hear you enjoyed our beach and amenities the resort has to offer..

Feedback is extremely important to us, and we take immediate measures to address, I thank you for the opportunity to address..
If you travel should bring you back to San Juan, please give us another opportunity to serve you..

Reviewed 28 August 2014

My family and I went to San Juan for a Family trip from July 27-Aug 2 and stayed at this property. Working at the Hilton myself, I wasn't impress with the overall stay and neither were my family. Horrible beach/pool view! Housekeeping did not keep the room up in respect to changing the sheets. Concierge didn't seem as friendly in respect to explaining the different activities to do or places to eat in the area. Just was handed a brochure and sent on our way. The 2 pleasant departments were, one the valet/bellmen. They were extremely helpful and attentive, I was highly impressed. Greeted my entire family and made sure we were helped to the fullest capacity. And secondly the Gym Facility was amazing. Worked out 4 out of the 7 days and I had an amazing time to the assistant of every staff member but special thanks to Kung Fu Panda (Emilio) and the young lady that worked in the morning who help with the sore in my upper back that I was dealing with for months, referred but Emilio! Not to mention the beautiful structure of the Facility and the array of equipment. By far the best gym I have experience.

Room Tip: The beach view was not a good view so I would not ask for that.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stayed for business, staff is so good at what they do. Banquets excellent, bar, pool and outside areas clean and welcoming, great night events. Rooms are comfortable, piping noises in one my stays. Staff fixed it rapidly. Secure place to stay, expensive though for the local guest. Check in fast and so is check out.

Room Tip: best on the view to the sea.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Hello there! thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton for your recent stay in beautiful Puerto Rico. We hope you had a great vacation and look forward to your prompt return.

We are at your service,

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

In comparison to the other Hilton properties I have stayed at this one is subpar. The decor is outdated and reaching the end of its useful life. The most updated piece of furniture in our room is the TV and even it is hitting the ten-year old mark. That being said, you'll be hard pressed to find a better piña colada anywhere, courtesy of Hiram & Hector at Atlantico, and the omelette was awesome as well thanks to Chef Luis. I have only had good drinks, tasty food, and friendly service but I would prefer to come back when the construction and renovations are complete to fairly reassess the place.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and submitting your review. Our goal is to provide you with a memorable guest experience and I'm sorry we were not able to exceed your expectations with our property. I will share your comments with our staff so we can focus on improving. Thank you for the recommendation. I hope you will join us again soon

Reviewed 27 August 2014

This place is huge. Just walking through the vast maze of corridors, gardens, pools, and restaurants is entertaining. There is a koi pond just outside the sushi restaurant, and the infinity pool includes a swim-up bar. There is a beautiful old fort (San Geronimo) that beckons for photos...This is an older hotel, but the upkeep is done daily by an enthusiastic, polite staff. The pool entrance was under construction during our visit, so it appears that area is being spiffed up. Extra kudos to the helpful, bilingual, make-it-happen staff.

Room Tip: The suites in the Villas are very comfortable and quiet with a nice balcony...bring paper towels and...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello there! thank you very much for choosing the Caribe Hilton for your recent stay in beautiful Puerto Rico. We are delighted to have the opportunity to serve you and your family. appreciate your in depth review and look forward to have another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

We are at your service,

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Hotel is improving since the last time we were here. Pros: beautiful private beach and great restaurants and room service. Cons: very pricey and you need to take a cab (min $15.00 a ride) to get to Old San Juan or any of the popular attractions. I would recommend a lesser branded hotel like the Marriott for a good trip. The only reason we came back to this one is we got married here. Still we had a good time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Hotel is a little tired, but food and staff were good. Orlando Lopez was particularly good at breakfast! If a refurbishment is carried out modifying the air vents to stop sound transmission between the rooms would be a good idea! The beach and swimming pools were great with easy access to Starbucks (plural!) Easy (free) bus ride into town helps the holiday budget go further.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!