“Breathtaking and Relaxing. Just what the doctor ordered.”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dagsboro, De
“Breathtaking and Relaxing. Just what the doctor ordered.”
Reviewed 20 October 2009

From the moment we arrived the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The hotel lobby, rooms and lagoon & pool areas were spectacular and amazing. The food and drinks were so good and refreshing. Every staff member were great and offered the best places and sites too see. It has been over 15 years since I had been on vacation, I could not get over the breathtaking views and how everyone was so friendly. There was nothing I could ask for that the staff did not deliver. It was so much fun walking from hotel to downtown Old San Juan to visit the sites and enjoy the culture. The staff reccomends to take taxis but if you enjoy walking about 20 to 30 minutes its worth it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Juniordelarosa, HHonors Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 22 October 2009
Thank you so very much for your kind comments regarding our property and our staff, this kind of comments make us very happy and show us that people appreciate our effort to deliver the best service in hospitality, I will share your comments with our team members to encourage them to continue delivering the exceptional service describe in your comments. Thank you so very much for sharing the joy with us and other possible guests. Blade De La Rosa, HHonors Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,584)
  • Polish first
Virgin Islands
Reviewed 16 October 2009

I was lucky enough not to have had the misfortune to stay at the Carib Hilton Hotel. I went to the web site and it was promoting stay 4 nights and two nights were free. July 20 til Dec sometime. So I called the hotel direct, and they were sorry but even though they were advertising this special you were not able to book the special. I asked to speak to the manager, Ivan Ayala and he told me he would honor the web site. We discussed the "room type" I had selected and he said it would be honored. He told me to just put it in writing. So I did.

I asked Mr. Ayala if he had taken this off the web site ( it was very disturbing to "think" you're getting a deal only to find out it had expired). He said he had. I went to the web site and that was a lie.

I made my flight arrangements and the next day received a reservation for 1 person in a smoking room at full price. When asked why the "special" was not included, Mr. Ayala said he thought I had rejected the stay 4 nights and pay for 2 and opted for another "special". Really!

At 10pm I finally spoke with another manager. By this time, they had posted a small sentence saying the stay 4 nights pay for 2 was not available for the room options. So, they would not honor the web site from two days ago.

Listen, does anyone there care how upsetting this is? That would be NO. They make a mistake and then take it out on the customer. So, now I go to bed, with no hotel plans but non refundable plane tickets. Tomorrow is my birthday and next week is my anniversary. It was suppose to be fun. And what I received from the Hilton was a nightmare.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Juniordelarosa, HHonors manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 19 October 2009
Thank you for posting your comments in trip advisor, I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding with the packages posted in the web site, special promotions are for limited time and subject to hotel availability and as was explained, the summer promotion was expired, the actual promotion is the fall promotion, however the hotel was willing to honor you the promotion due to the misunderstanding, our commitment is to continue delivering the promise our founder Mr. Conrad Hilton made to the world “fill the world with the light and warm of hospitality”, and our team members are fully trained to make your experience unforgettable and unique. On behalf of our management team please accept our most sincere apologies for the unfortunate inconvenience experience while trying to make your reservation.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Over all I would say the Caribe Hilton has a lot to offer, It s just was not what i was looking for in a relaxing escape.
I was recently in P.R for buessness/pleasure for a week and decided to spend 3 days at the beach and 4 nights in old town San Juan. My first 3 nights was at the Caribe hilton and have to say it was a dissapointment. I could go on to sharing with you the negitives but thats boring.
Positives-beautiful property-friendly staff-great gym!
I guess I felt like I was lost in the shuffle at times- this is a big property and when I had to chat with the front desk I felt I was always waiting in line....I spent close to 2 hours in line at reception during my 3 day stay. The Caribe Hilton is a bit isolated but there is a small market and sub shop 4 to 5 minutes walk from the entrance. There is also a car rental agency by the market which I used and it was about 40% less expensive then the one offered at the hotel. Also the new updated gym is fantastic possibly one of the nicest hotels gyms I have ever used.
Looking back i wished i upgraded to La Concha hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Juniordelarosa, HHonors Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 24 October 2009
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us, on behalf of our management team I would like to express our must sincere apology for not being able to fulfill your needs, our commitment is to guarantee our guests a legendary stay and a hassle free service, unfortunately sometime due to lack of knowledge we are unable to deliver the service our guests are expecting, we are in a big property and for future references, please note that we have two front desk and a concierge desk willing to assist you at any time before, during and after your stay. Thank you again for posting your valuable comments. Blade De La Rosa, HHonors Manager at the Caribe Hilton.
Denver
Reviewed 15 October 2009

I am shocked by the positive reviews of this hotel. We stayed at this hotel at the end of our honeymoon, and it was a disappointing end to an otherwise fantastic trip. We tried to check in early (having made a prior request to do so), and we were told to come back at 2:00 p.m. We spent the day exploring San Juan and returned (after having been rained on) after 2:00 p.m. The clerk kept telling us to give him 10 more minutes, then completely ignoring us. It was several hours before we were shown to a room, that was supposedly an upgrade, but seemed like a very average room to me. There were no apologies or acknowledgment that the hotel had done anything wrong. I will never stay at another Hilton.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Thank you so very much for sharing your comments with us, I do apologize for the unfortunate inconvenience encountered during your stay with us, I will use your comments for retraining purposes and to create awareness between our team members, I absolutely agree with you, service should be priority in any hotel, I can assure you this is not the kind of service we are providing to our guests and immediate action is going to be taken, please do not allow your perception to judge the overall service culture of our family of hotel, everyone deserve a second change and this isolate incident is not synonymous of our general service. Once again thank you for sharing such a valuable comments with us. Blade De La Rosa, HHonors Manager.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We had a long Columbus Day Weekend stay at this fantastic hotel. Truly one of the most memorable hotel stays I've ever had. A wonderful property, friendly staff who cater to your every need, food was great (we hosted a Brunch for 6 on Sunday), and by the way they make Pina Colada's, you can tell they were invented here!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting such nice comments in trip advisor, Is so refreshing to read comments like this and discover that we are delivering the service that our guests deserve, I will share your comments with our team members to share the wealth of a satisfied guest, at the end they made it happen and they deserve the credit. Thank you so very much for your valuable comments. Blade De La Rosa, HHonors Manager.
Hartford
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Excellent service and attention to your needs. What else can I say?

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Hhonors at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 16 October 2009
Love it!! This is a great motivation for our staff!! Thank you for your comments!
New York City
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Great setting on the beach, lovely grounds and pools, so if you want to hang out on the beach or poolside all day, this is a good place to do it. The hotel itself is large, modern and the rooms are nice, clean and well-equipped with fabulous high beds and lots of big soft feather pillows. It's worth paying a little extra for an ocean view, but try to get a high floor (we were on 6, which was fine). Food and drinks are expensive, and the food is nothing special. There are no other nice resturants nearby, so eating out usually means paying taxi fares ($12+tip each way to the old town). On the other hand, if you plan to eat out in old San Juan most nights, this hotel is closer than most of the other beach hotels.

• Stayed September 2009
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!