“Wonderful memories, wonderful hotel”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 May 2010

This hotel is simply amazing. It is situated on beautifully maintained oceanfront acreage with unexpected delights. Of course, the first thing you see is the ocean, framed in the central lobby of the hotel where you enter after being warmly greeted by staff. They have a concierge, Eric, who is friendly and knowledgable about local attractions, going out of his way to accomodate what you want to do in San Juan- not forced in to a pre-packaged tour. The restaurants, although a bit pricey, are a good value. Dont miss the mico rainforest with swans, peacocks and koi. The hotel was spotless everywhere we went, the staff was attentive. Old San Juan was easy to get to by bus (50 cents!). The historical places are a must- the old forts particularly. Be sure to wear comfortabble walking shoes as the streets are narrow, old and alot are cobblestones.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beebmac
Juniordelarosa, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2010

Dear guest

Thank you for your valuable comments regarding your stay in our property, your comments will be share with our team members to create awareness and ensure they continue providing the service described in your comments, our main goal is create great experience to the great people visiting us, your comments are indicative that we are getting to our goals and we will continue improving our service ad infrastructure in order to continue delivering our founder promise. Blade De La Rosa. HHonors Manager, Caribe Hilton hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,209)

Reviewed 15 May 2010

Friend of mine and I,spent 4 nights at the Caribe Hilton.
From the minute we got there until the minute we left,the entire staff from the front desk was excellent and very attentive and helpful,Mr Blade De La Rosa was great and very professional,THANK YOU VERY MUCH,BLADE!!!
The staff from the full buffet breakfast,there're great and super friendly...Thank You guys!!
The room was very nice and beautiful - We had an oceanview room and the beds are very comfy,the bathroom was big and very spacious...love it!!!
The hotel had a nice and clean beach area and a private lagoon.The pool was nice and had a couple of whirlpools.Next to the pool area was a shaded area with nice hammocks to relax in.
There were also many areas with outdoor beds.
Our stay was great.We had a great time.
All in all,our stay at the Caribe Hilton far exceded our expectations,having read many of the negative reviews we would come back here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank beto09
Juniordelarosa, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2010

Dear guest, thank you so very much for your valuable comments regarding your stay in our property, we are delighted you enjoy your stay, our commitment is to guarantee our guests legendary stays, as per your comments I am able to see that we deliver you the promise our founder, Mr. Conrad Hilton made to travelers, and I am glad you took the time to share your positive comments with us, I will share your comments with all team members to encourage them to continue provident the excellent service you received in order to make future guests as happy as they made you. Once again thank you so very much for taking the time to share your comments. Blade De la Rosa, HHonors Manager at the Caribe Hilton.

Reviewed 13 May 2010

I have been staying at the Caribe Hilton for 3 consecutive years when I come down for business. I would not change this hotel for anything. The employees consistently treat me with the respect, service, and friendliness that I am looking for. The facility has the most up-to-date gym which I use every morning to do my excercises. Nelson Torres and Ivan Ayala have been extremely helpful and professional for the service they have given to our company. I highly recommend this hotel and its wonderful facilities to all business travelers and families with children.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Just spent 2 nights at the Caribe Hilton at the tail end of a week in PR. This hotel is a beautiful property with a very tropical feel. The beach is great because they have wave breakers that keep the water calm. I know there are some bad reviews on the beach here, but you don't come to PR for the beaches (they just aren't that nice, except for Culebra). As far as PR main island goes this beach is about as good as it gets. I found no issues with the staff and all encountered were pleasant and curteous. In fact as a whole, the Puerto Rican people seem to
hold friendliness and customer service to a much higher high standard than the rest of the Caribbean and the US for that matter. This hotel also has an excellent gym. Some say the restaurants are expensive, and they are, but no more expensive than any nice hotel restaurant
and only a couple of bucks more an entree than Old San Juan. The best meal of the week was at the Lemongrass in this hotel. Some minor gripes were that the A/C seemed to cycle wrong so it would get a little warm in the room before kicking on and the hot water in the sink kind of trickled out (shower was OK) so this may have been a problem in this room only. The one thing that really bugged me about the hotel was the bar drinks. I watched the bartender make 3 frozen drinks and drop about 1 1/2 oz's of alcohol in the blender for all three. I mean, it's hard to justify charging $14 a drink as it is but it is a downright ripoff when you cannot even taste the slightest hint of rum in the drink. I could see why so many have posted bad reviews on this subject. But all is not lost, there is a restaurant on the property (Pina Colada Club) which is privatelly owned and makes killer frozen drinks for $8. All in all this hotel was a good experience and I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bbsstuff
Juniordelarosa, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2010

Dear guest, thank you so very much for your valuable comments, we do appreciate your efforts to communicate future guests the wonderful experience you had and in other hands you are letting us know what we need to change in order to provide our guests the best service ever, Thank you so very much for your honest comments, your comments will be share with out food and beverage team for their consideration and to take action regarding the drinks. Looking forward to serve you in the near future, Blade De La Rosa, HHonors Manager.

Reviewed 8 May 2010

Location: Close to Airport and small shopping area
Staff: Outstanding - very helpful and friendly
Rate: 1/2 off January sale - with buffett breakfast
Breakfast - Unbelievable - so many choices - fresh fruits - fresh squeezed orange juice - fresh pastires - omelets - etc..
Restaurant Staff: Fantastic
Room: View was fantastastic - good amenites
Pool Area - Dd not use pool - did take pictures at the Cabanas which were available at no cost - very nice all around

My cousin and I stayed here for two (2) nites pre-cruise. Do not regret it one bit. On the contrary - will definitely return with our spouses :)

All in all, the friendliest staff I have encounterd in many, many, years.
Beautiful grounds and area - worth every penny

• Stayed: April 2010

Dear guest, thank you so very much for posting your experience in trip advisor, our commitment is to guarantee our guest enjoy a hassle free stay and deliver the promise our founder Mr. Conrad Hilton made “feel the world with the warm and light of Hospitality” your comments with the hotel description and the exceptional experience you had will be share with our team members to ensure they continue delivering a service up to our standard and to give them the satisfaction of a well done job. Thank you so very much for your wonderful comments. Blade De La Rosa, HHonors Manager.

Reviewed 7 May 2010

Arrived with many for a one-night pre-cruise stay. We were first to check in and therefore dealt with very quickly, not sure how this would have been for the 30-40 people in line behind us...
Room was tricky to find as the same numbers are used in the tower and garden wings and no obvious signage. Room was adequate for our one night stay.
Quite disappointed that breakfast was not inclusive but this no fault of the hotel but the cruise company. Outdoor pools and beach, hammock were great and thoroughly enjoyed by our children. Despite putting in an ealry request for our luggage to moved down to lobby for transfer to ship, nobody arrived and so we ended up taking them down oursleves...not good. Free wifi in lobby was welcomed.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank raquelquefois
Reviewed 5 May 2010

My family and i have recently returned from my daughter's destination wedding along with 50+ guests at this hotel resort. I was one of the few lucky ones that did get the room that i wanted.. beautiful room on the top floor with an ocean view..accomdations? great. guest services? non-existent. When I say "guest services", I will tell you that I am talking about everyone from the hotel operators, front desk clerks, managers, housekeeping, outside bartenders, one of the sales people, reservations, etc. the wedding planner and wedding planners assistant i will have to write on another review because they were not part of hilton staff but were completely utterly useless. Lets see, where do i begin, so much to say. this will not be in order but here goes: at check in, which is 4:00..late to begin with, a lot of guests' rooms were not ready. many of our guests were arriving on friday (wedding was saturday). some guests did not get into their rooms until 6:00pm. the groom, who instead of relaxing the day before his wedding, had to be in the lobby with the person who was in charge of the room bookings, directing her as each guest came. it turns out that a lot of the guest werent given the room they wanted/needed (king bed versus double beds or vice versa) so the groom spent a considerable amount of time directing and helping to coordinate the guest rooms with the sales manager (what a joke title). my sister in laws ceiling had a leak. one guest sat at the edge of her bed and the upper end went flying.., housekeeping NEVER came to clean our room.. i checked in Friday, saturday it was never cleaned. the morning of the wedding, my daughter was in the honeymoon suite and the ac was not working. temp was 90 outside with humidity high. it took over an hour for someone to come to the room and attempt to fix it. we called again after another hour goes by and room still hadnt cooled. they came back up rather annoyed and told us that because we were using a blow dryer (ONE BLOW DRYER) that must be the reason the air wasnt cooling. (WE WERE IN A 2 STORY SUITE, HOW CAN ONE BLOW DRYER HEAT UP A ROOM AND OUTDO AN AC) My daughter was trying to get ready for her wedding day for christ sake! another request to guest services went unanswered (2 calls within one hour) phone rang off the hook before someone finally answered. i simply asked for 10 champagne glasses to be brought up (the photographer wanted to take pic of bridal party pretending to drink champagne before heading off) the glasses NEVER came). housekeeping did not come to clean room later. they did not come AT ALL. the maid of honor (my 15 yr old and grooms sister snuck away during cocktail hour) to clean the honeymoon suite for them) after all, there were about 10 of us in there that sat morning getting ready. the atm machines in the hotel were not working. at check out time, my bill was totally wrong. we were supposed to get a discount for saturday nite because of the group rate for wedding at $165 per night. the bill said $185. i "calmly" argued with the front desk clerk (who never once looked me in the eye but instead kept his eyes on the computer screen the entire time i was talking to him - Joel was his name) he said, well, do you have the confirmation for that???? hellllllooooooooo we have a CONTRACT. no i dont have it, but the bride does...for gods sake. i told him, well, every single guest's bill is going to be wrong. so out comes Victor who also insisted that was the correct charge. (IT WASNT) but rather than "calmly" continuing to argue i just paid the bill at $185 for both nights. later, i was correct, yes, it was supposed to be $165 as my daughter told me.. its in her CONTRACT. do you think i will see my money? no....why, because i paid cash and they probably just pocketed the extra. when i mentioned that housekeeping never came there was no comment.. nothing, no apology or explanation.. just more looking at the screen.. he was probably playing a video game for all i know. also, i fyou want to sleep late, forget it, they want to kick you out of there as early as possible.. but check you in as late as possible.. and trust me, you will not get a discount if you get checked in late through no fault of your own. forget breakfast. at the hotel..everything is way overpriced,. go out the lobby, take a left and walk right across the way to Subway where you can get breakfast for $4.00 including coffee. you can take the bus to Old San Juan from the bus stop near the Normandie Hotel for .75 cents per person. the taxi in front of the hilton cost you $3.00 per person plus whatever else fee they want to charge.. the reality is, a taxi, even if there are like 5 or 6 of you travelling to Old San Juan, should cost $10 flat. Jose Gonzalez who runs a private taxi and is wonderful will take you his number is 787-909-2236. he picked us up in front of the hilton and he got royally yelled at by the staff. make sure he picks you up across the street! I can honestly say that guest services in this hotel do not exist at all, although i cant speak for the concierge as i did not use their service. as far as the actual SITE.. as in the reception area..was beautiful.. outside by the area to the left of the pool was spectacular and the food was delicious. the photographers and videogrpaher and musicians hired by my daughter and son in law were phenomenal (not referred by the Hilton) but researched on their own. as far as the scenic beauty and the privacy of the beach by the Caribe Hilton, it is truly amazing as is the tropical garden, however, if that is ALL you are looking for and you want to fend for yourself in every other way, then by all means stay, but if you want to get your moneys worth in terms of oh, say, having someone answer the guest service phone when you dial their number.. or... i dont know.. say, you ac in your room is not working and you're getting ready for an important day and your makeup is starting to smear down your face cuz its so hot, and you might want someone to fix it, yes, well, then i say, stay at the Marriott or any of the other just as highly priced but much better service at the Condado strip just a little ways down, the Hilton area is appealing..but what are you willing to give up to stay here? (ps; did i mention my sister in laws room ceiling leaked)

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank LLucyo
Juniordelarosa, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2010

Dear guest

Thank you so very much for sending your detail comments regarding your resent wedding trip to our hotel, I understand perfectly your frustration and we are already in the process of contacting your daughter and son in law to get more feedback regarding all the situation described in your message, however we have deeply investigate all the comments and there were glitches but unworthy to deserved such intended comments, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay and we truly believe in giving others the opportunity to know what to expect when coming to visit us, I understand any misunderstanding was solved during the activity and compensation was applied for the two different cases where there was a misunderstanding. We are constantly trying to delight our clients with the exceptional service culture that has earn our reputation and we will take your comments as one of the best opportunities to review the whole process and suggest any changes we would need to do, we are sharing your comments with our team members and they will be aware of the way you felt about the way they served you and we will give them the opportunity to reinforce any procedure they haven’t accomplished during your stay. Anything we could have done better will be corrected.

Once again thank you for giving us the opportunity to listen to your concerns, and thank you for your valuable comments. Blade De La Rosa, HHonors Manager.