“Don't use your charge card”
Review of Hotel Iberia

Hotel Iberia
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Hartford, Connecticut
“Don't use your charge card”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Although we were not impressed with the rooms, decor or cleanliness the roof top garden was wonderful. Peaceful and pretty. The worst part was 5 months after our return home they charged out charge card for our stay again. Still working with the bank about this.

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Denise A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
North Richland Hills, Texas, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We decided to stay an extra day in San Juan and our original hotel was full so we had to move. A quick gaze at the internet advised space was available at this little hotel. As it happened, we had driven past it the day before. The front door is always locked. You buzz for entry and the desk clerk admits you and signs you in. The lobby, like the rest of the hotel is like a step back in time. I would say that the property is reminiscent of what hotels in the Caribbean were like in the 1950s. That can be good or bad. The rooms are small and sparsely furnished. There are not telephones in the rooms. There was a modern, flat screen TV. My wife turned it on and found about half a dozen channels, one in English. We started exploring and found the hallway furnishings to be in keeping with the hotel's Iberian claim. We went up to the third floor and found a terrace with plants, planters, tables and chairs for dining and a real Puerto Rican ambiance. We were charmed. There is a super market next door and we visited the deli for a carryout dinner which we took back to the terrace. It was cool as the location is surrounded by trees and we were midway to the tops of the those trees. We watched the sun go down and took note of the variety of birds flitting across and around the
"terraza." Our party became engrossed in checking out a trio of parrots who darted free to tree around the rooftops. It was a relaxing, perfect evening. The hotel is not far from the beach and many restaurants. If you aren't expecting a modern tourist hotel and want something with old world charm, this may be a great discovery for you. I will most certainly revisit the Hotel Iberia.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnSchofield
Wilmington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I was looking for a no frills hotel for a night before a cruise. It was worse than I expected. Although the location was decent the room was terrible. When we pulled up and the front door was locked, that should have been a red flag. The room was uncomfortable and I was a little skeeved out by some things. A sign saying don't flush the toilet paper...stained bedding...no opening windows and the air conditioner 2 feet from the bed blowing on you. When I woke in the morning, I found a bug in my bed. Not saying a bed bug, but a bug. I was glad to get out of there. I got what I paid for and told myself that and tried to move on, until I saw my charge bill 2 months later and they were charging me again. I am now disputing my credit card bill, had to cancel my card and have had to send different emails dealing with all this. Stay away from this place....it's not worth saving a few bucks.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Ann G
Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We only rarely give out a 2.0 rating, but this place bugged us right from check-in. The Booking site we used said the room charge was $100/night plus 9% tax for Final Total with Tax of $109/night, but the hotel insisted on adding a 6% “Local Tax” which was not shown on the Booking site – and no such 6% additional tax was charged at the San Juan hotel we stayed at the week before. With no other choice, we paid the extra 6% tax. Once in the room we found that although there was a good air conditioner and ceiling fan, many of the other amenities listed on the Booking site were not in the room: no room safe, the “cable TV” only received 1 local broadcast TV station (even after the desk clerk tried to remedy that), no iron, no clock-radio, and no telephone – all of which were advertised as provided on the Booking site. In walking by open rooms during our stay, I saw none of these amenities in any other room either. The air conditioner blows directly onto the bed, so we had to use the room chair to divert the flow so we didn’t freeze. It was a good size room, but had minimal furnishings. On the good side, there was free Wi-Fi that worked well in the room, free parking in front of the guest house, and a nice rooftop tiled terrace. Our room and the hallways had tile floors as well. They have an on-site restaurant La Fonde de Cervantes, but it was closed while we were there. No meals are provided in your room rate, and there is no kitchen for guest use. There is a big Super Max grocery store next to the hotel where you can buy food, but there is no frig in your room nor one available in the hotel for guest use. We kept a limited amount of food cold in our room ice bucket. Another downside of this hotel is that although the hotel itself is on a quiet residential street, it is adjacent to the supermarket parking lot and a busy street. Every day (even on Sunday) we were greeted with late night booming car stereos and morning car horns from impatient drivers, garbage trucks with piercing back-up beepers and trash cans banging before 7AM and the occasional barking dog, car alarm, and emergency vehicle siren. But there was one joyful sound of a Coqui frog that sung us to sleep from the palm tree outside our window each night. It is about a 10 minute walk to Ashford Avenue where there are numerous restaurants and one block from that is the beach. Another nice touch was that the front desk clerk let us stay in the room until 12 Noon, an hour past the 11AM check-out time. Although the room was clean and inexpensive, we would likely not stay here again. In the previous week, we stayed at Aleli by the Sea Guest House for the same $115 room rate, and that hotel is right on the ocean and we gave that one a 4.0 rating – but it was booked up on the weekend we stayed at Hotel Iberia.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed similar, from what we saw.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WisconsinVagabond
Puerto Rico
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife booked 1 night to stay after a concert with the intention of explorig San Juan the next day. We arrived at 6pm no one was at the front desk, after somebody came we had to wait so much for a simple booking... We went to our room it looked ok but under the bed sham the sheets looked very very old and did not smell good. A/C did not work, it was very hot and management did not do anything to help us sleep better. We barely slept and left early in the morning.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 89nano
St. Augustine, FL
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Our stay at Hotel Iberia was very nice. We had a peaceful time in an easy place to keep our bags. Nothing too extravagant, but the staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooftop porch was a hidden gem, and it was only a 5 min walk to Ashford Ave, which is the "main strip", so to speak. Reasonably priced as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank finfan1337
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for many, many years. And, I will continue to stay. The Hotel owner and staff treated me great, the room was great and quiet. I slept so well. Staying there is like staying at home. Also, I lost my credit card and had no cash in hand and the owner graciously helped me until i resolved the situation. He ensured that I felt comfortable and that I had everything that I needed until my flight was on schedule again. Thank you Don Cristobal, you always make feel welcomed and that means a great deal to me. I completely recommend this hotel if you are staying in Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: if you want to sleep well, ask for the rooms in the back. You will sleep and rest well.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo