“Location folks!”

Ranked #36 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Houston, Texas
“Location folks!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have read several of the lower ratings, but if you want to get away, spend your time on the beach or wandering to local restaurants and sites, it really is a convenient hotel. Across the street is a parking garage, a walk along the beach are many marvelous restaurants, and hotel is a bed and shower. So go there knowing that and enjoy!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ellissea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Pacific, Missouri
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Very nice hotel, very nice employees, located at beach, rooms have window a/c's, very family friendly. Reminds me of a bed and breakfast rather than a hotel. No parking though but can pay for a parking pass one street over.
Small bathroom but large closet area.

Room Tip: No swimming pool but right at the beach, small bathroom, has a bed and breakfast feel to it
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank DM H
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The Sandy Beach Hotel is an excellent value. While it certainly is not deluxe, it is a good place to stay. Our room was clean and the staff helpful. It's just one building from the beach, so we spent our last night In Puerto Rico walking the beach -- and then exploring the area. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Betty E
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The hotel has a great looking website, although that is not the actual hotel photo so don't be disappointed like I was. The hotel is behind a large building and is not beach front, but it is only a short walk to the beach which is the best part of the hotel as well as the outside shower to rinse your feet. The rooms are very small and really could use some TLC. The bathrooms are very tiny and no vanity to set anything on. No hair dryers or alarm clocks either. Was hoping to at least get a piece of fruit for breakfast, but they only had toast, 2 cereals, and some small donuts. Since I am allergic to flour there was no breakfast for me. If you don't plan on spending time at the beach, then I would choose another place to stay. You can feel the bed springs and there are no mattress pads, just a sheet on the mattress that is very sandy. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. Be sure to ask where you can park (only 4 spots available Or pay $10 for a space around the block) or you will get a ticket. Looking out the window of our room onto the Marriott pool made our kids drool!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Misti B
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The only positive thing about this hotel is that it's close to the beach and that the receptionist wasn't rude.

My sisters and I moved here after staying in another hotel in San Juan that we didn't like at all. This was just as bad or worse.

This hotel is old, on the inside, which I don't mind. But... it was SO DIRTY that I had to sleep with my clothes on, on top of an old towel of mine. The pillows had hairs on them. The bathroom floor had hairs on it, and you could even see the bugs. I woke up with so many mosquito bites on my legs that I had to buy one of those creams to make the itching stop!!!

Our neighbours weren't so friendly either- whenever they saw us, they made creepy sounds. They shouted out obscene things to one of my sisters and she didn't dare leave the room without company since then.

We only stayed here for one night after this experience.

Room Tip: Just don't choose a room here. Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank natalia c
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The location of this hotel is amazing. Steps away from the beach. This was a quick get away for my husband and I and we loved it. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. Ralphy at the front desk was the best, helpful , friendly , and honest when it came to giving us advise about the places we should visit on the island. I think this was one of our best mini vacations we had. The hotel is humble, clean and if you need to move your room for any reason they will move you with no questions asked. I think that this is the best spot to stay if you are planning on visiting the island ,enjoying the beach and saving some cash on hotel for activities and drinking with that special someone.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise /larger room .
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mari118
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 2 June 2013

You couldn't ask for a better location - just steps away from the beach and many dining options. Rooms are a little dated but for the most part clean (lamp shades needed dusted) and the AC worked great! The continental breakfast was good; they had cereal, toast,muffins, pastries and juice. The hotel also offered free wifi which is unusual for the area. Very pleased with the staff and service I received for the price of the room - if in the area again I will book a room at the Sandy Beach Hotel San Juan

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family