“It is perfect.”

El Canario by the Lagoon
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 5 February 2010

El Canario is the best place ever! The rates are very affordable, the rooms are perfect, the staff is very helpful and really care about your well being and safety! The rooms are very clean, and has all accomodations for a very reasonable price. The beach is only two minutes away, but yet there is privacy. I really loved my stay there and will defenitiely be there soon.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for El Canario by the Lagoon

Reviewed 11 January 2010

We traveled around the island and stayed in 3 paradors and 3 hotels. We stayed here for 3 nights and it met our expectations. The room was clean, the staff was very helpful, the breakfast was nice(yummy bread!) and the location was great.
If you have a car, be prepared to submit your key to the front desk staff so that they can move your car in and out of the alley to accomodate the comings and goings of other guests with cars. Also note that it may take a few extra minutes for this shuffling to occur when you are ready to get your car out. We walked to several great restaurants on Ashford Ave which was very close (2 short blocks away).
The room was clean, well stocked, and completely adequate - not spectacular, but very functional. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean, there was a TV, fridge, in-room safe and a small balcony.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ccisme
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Old-style rooms, not very clean. Our room had an unpleasant odour. Little else to say apart from the location isn't bad for Condado. We have stayed in 4 hotels in San Juan and feel this should be an 80-90 dollar room in high season whereas they charged us 120 US dollars plus tax (which we ended up paying as we needed a room and availability elsewhere was very limited). Would not choose to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2009

Stayed here 2 years in a row prior to boarding a cruise ship. Rafi is still there and we have kept in touch. I really enjoyed both stays here. walking distance to anything you would need including a great beach. They have a free breakfast that will fill you up, there is a washer and dryer on the 1st floor (bring your own soap and coins) There is a Walgreens a few blocks away. If you 'guys' need a hair cut, that is 1 block away - Rafi will point the direction. My son (who is with Rafi and I in one of the pics) got a nice hair cut there.

The rooms that we slept in were clean and very comfortable and this from a girl that can feel lint in her shoe and must get it out NOW. No trouble with losing anything. Both times Rafael watched our luggage in the lobby (2nd time he put mine behind him) after check-out so we could go to the beach and shop before getting underway.

Rafael knows where everything is and how to get there and what time the last bus leaves the mall. Some of you peeps will stay here and think it is an outdated hotel and you are looking for flare - no this is a very nice and homey place. You do not need a pool when the beach come on ocean - is just down the street. Rent a car for a day drive if you need to, but take it back at the end of the day. The bus is sooo cheap and takes you to just about anywhere you would want to go.

I want very much to get back to Puerto Rico and see my friends especially Rafi, hope that my boyfriend will want to go with me next time I am able to go, we will stay here and go to all the places that I have been and to the places that I missed - the Rain Forrest will be one of them. And if Edward is still doing hair at Manicurissima in the Plaza Des Americas, maybe I will get a third hair cut by him.
And if I can find my favorite bar tender Robert who at one time worked at Cafe Del Angel on Ashford in Condado, I will ask him to make that great "Love" drink called the Yellow Palm for Andy and I. Wonder if that restaurant is still there?

Yes the elevator is tiny and slow, but you are in the Caribbean, you can pack light and carry your luggage up a couple flights and back down when you leave.
What we did was put our bags in the elevator and took them out after walking down the stairs.

I LOVE the El Canario by the Lagoon.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2009

We had a nice surprise after reading all the bad reviews on TripAdvisor
about this hotel.
We reached early (8.00AM) and they gave us an early check in - the staff were very friendly and accommodating. We also got a late (4.00 PM) checkout when we asked, because of our flight times.

Our room was basic, but clean and well maintained (room 407), with a view overlooking the lagoon. WIFI was available and fast.
The breakfast room offered pastries, fruit, toast, coffee / tea, juice and cereal, and was complimentary.
Room was always cleaned and there were fresh towels every time.
The hotel itself is just a few steps away from the main thoroughfare where
there are restaurants, banks and stores.
One of the parks in the area is less than 5 minutes slow walk away, and the beach is just a few steps past that.
We would highly recommend it for the price and location.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spice_isle
Reviewed 9 April 2009

I stayed at the Canario by the Lagoon for 2 nights.

I was charged twice for the same room, and also was charged an extra $109- without explanation.

That brought the cost for my stay $300 more than what was on the receipt I was given.

When I called to resolve this issue, the motel had only charged me an extra $109. They said they would refund this to my account. By the next day, they had charged me for the room twice, and, according to my bank, had made no attempt at refunding anything to my account.

The employees at the Canario were rude to me and stopped taking my calls regarding the matter. It appears that they do not care about their customers once they have their customers' credit card numbers.

Never stay at any of the Canario hotels.

On another note, the Canario by the Lagoon boasts that every room has a view of either the lagoon or the ocean. This is misleading at best, and possibly an outright lie. I stayed in room 405 and had to lean over the edge of the safety rails on the room's "balcony" to see a tiny sliver of the lagoon.

To recap: never stay at the Canario by the Lagoon unless you don't mind spending the money for a three star hotel and staying at a motel, and unless you like being treated rudely by the staff.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2009

This hotel is a good value for the price. it is not a fancy resort nor does it try to be. It is located on a quiet residential street 2 blocks from a nice beach, and near several convenient restaurants and stores. It is also an easy ride from the airport and convenient to bus routes to Old San Juan. The room is air-conditioned, simply furnished, equipped with a TV, and has an outdoor balcony. The staff was helpful and friendly. They let me look at the room before I accepted it. There is a continental breakfast and free newspaper in the morning. Check-out was fast and painless too.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo