“Terrific customer service from the Manager made an impression!”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Nashville, Tennessee
“Terrific customer service from the Manager made an impression!”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We had an initial problem with the room we were first placed in. The internet would not work in the room (though it worked fine in the hallway), so they gave us a different room.
To my surprise the manager called the next morning, apologizing us for the inconvenience. She was disappointed that we weren't given a choice of an upgrade when he had to move our things and offered us dining coupons. Then the IT manager at the hotel called us to make sure that the internet in the new room was working fine.
This is the kind of service you rarely receive even at 4 or 5-star hotels and we were extremely pleased with our experience. The manager at the Conrad is terrific and really cares about the comfort and happiness of the visitors.
Other than that, we really liked our room. The beds are very comfortable and like the reading light right next to each bed. The TV is a little small, but fits well with the decor of the rooms. Our room had a large balcony and a nice view of the lagoon. Though the ocean view rooms are better, I was not disappointed. The bathroom is large and spacious, but there is no lock on the sliding doors. The shower head had ample pressure and the toiletries were from CLEAR by Jean-Jacques. There is a fridge in the bathroom as well as a coffee maker and a closet with lots of space. The internet in the room is free and fast (600 KB/sec and I mean Kilobytes, not Kilobits).
The hotel has two pools and a beach protected by a rock wall. Great place to swim and hangout, both for parents and kids. The view over the ocean is also gorgeous. The casino is large (by Puerto Rico hotel standards) and modern. The location is perfect with only a 5-minute drive to Old San Juan.
Some negatives... The business center is a bit of a rip-off. Also, self-parking is a bit of a pain. The ticket that you receive when you enter the parking lot has to be validated at the valet desk EVERY time. I hope they institute a better parking system, but this inconvenience was not enough to take away from the overall very positive experience.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the best ones.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank gibbersome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I traveled with my husband and two small children. He was on business but the kids and I were here for fun:) A great hotel, lots of restaurants inside and a Starbucks right in front. Three pools, including a saltwater pool. A very small kiddie pool, but has a fountain spraying in which my son loved. If you're lucky enough to get an ocean view room, it's amazing. The beach for the hotel it to the side, so the views of the ocean are so close. And the sound of the waves crashing is very loud since it hits the rocks. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kimberlee8211
San Jose
Reviewed 12 April 2011

This place was pretty good, convenient location, small beach adjacent, right on the entrance to Viejo San Juan, my favorite area of all San Juan City.
I write this review because I want to talk about one issue I disliked. The lobby has an aquarium, it its internally separated into 3 different sections. The central one measures about 2x4 feet, with 2 feet depth. It its crammed with a rocky formation meant to simulate corals, I guess. In this tank they have a live shark that is about 2.5 feet long. This animal cant swim, cant turn around, cant do anything really. During my week stay I visited him 4 times. Each time the shark was LYING DOWN on a rock. When have you ever seen a fish lying down?? Isnt it true sharks breathe as they swim, like most animals?? If so, this animal is being slowly tortured by asphixia and lack of ability to move around.
This is disgusting and a poor representation of the lack of respect people show towards animals, using them as accessories, not even providing for minimal and logical needs. That aquarium could poorly fit creatures a third the size of this shark.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank BeachFairy
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I absolutely love staying at the Conrad. For the second time this month I stayed here for the weekend. Its a beautiful hotel with comfortable rooms and great location. The staff is very professional, friendly and helpful. I highly recommend the Conrad Hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Hightstown, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 April 2011

The first thing I noticed about this hotel was how nicely decorated the lobby and other public areas were. There are interesting chairs, art pieces, aquariums, light fixtures or other decorative elements everywhere. The decor gives the hotel a different, non-cookie cutter vibe that almost makes you forget how large it is. The hotel is really two building across the street from each other, connected by a breezeway. In general the place seemed to be clean and well-maintained; I didn’t experience the elevator issues mentioned by other reviewers.

Our room was in the lagoon view building. Overall the room was fine. It was large and clean and the AC, fridge, TV, etc all were in good working order. The bed was comfortable and the linens were good quality. The bathroom door had a frosted glass panel that was easy to see through and didn’t provide much privacy. There was also a nice sized balcony with chairs and a table overlooking the lagoon and the roof of the hotel facilities below. The only thing about the room that I didn’t like was the tile floor; it was cold and seemed to make it a little loud, but definitely cleaner alternative than carpet.

The grounds of the hotel were beautiful! There were lots of places to explore and we discovered a new area of the property every day. There are nicely furnished porches and patios all over. There’s a lawn overlooking the ocean with hammocks to relax in. The large pool has a swim-up bar and a waterslide with “beach” access just a few steps away. There is also a hot-tub and another pool in this area. All of this is on the “beach” side of the hotel. The lagoon side also had a small pool.

A great thing about this hotel was that it has a casino. A real casino, not the kind of casino you might find at a hotel in the Dominican Republic. The sushi bar/Chinese restaurant just outside of the casino had great food and was open very late (until 3 or 4am).

Now let me just say this: THIS HOTEL DOES NOT HAVE A REAL BEACH!

The hotel is located at the end of the strip of stores, restaurants and hotels in Condado. The property is on the ocean it just doesn’t have a typical beachfront. There are mostly walled off areas that prevent you from going onto the rocks where the property meets the ocean. The sandy area on the property is very, very small and crowded and not really on the ocean (no waves). It’s worth a walkthrough I guess. The real beach is just a five minute walk from the hotel and it is beautiful!

Overall this hotel is a great value, the beauty of the public areas, cleanliness of the room, the price compared to other hotels in Condado combine to make this place a good value. You should go!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Queens, New York
Reviewed 4 April 2011

This hotel was situated in the best Location the bus stop right near hotel for 75cents you can take the bus to old San Juan. The vibe and look of this hotel was great . Pool scene and beach excellent. It was a nice area to walk around and find other local places to eat. The hotel the food is very expensive I did eat at the noodle bar it was good. My room was very well kept . I love the bath soaps I ate the best hamburger right beside the beach for $3.50 with a water the Conrad was like over $12 for a hamburger. I did a few tours through the hotel. I would stay in the Conrad again. I think this location was easier than the Caribe Hilton.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank tmoo6
ConradSanJuan, General Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, 6 April 2011
Dear Tammy, thank you for your kind review of our hotel; my staff and I are glad you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate your comments. I read your profile and we have some things in common; we in the hotel also assist children with disabilities and make an effort to contribute to our community. I also belong to a foundation that assists young people in developing their careers; some have been sent to J&W for thier development. Congratulations on your efforts to assist others; take care.

Raul Bustamante
Managing Director
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 April 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights prior to a cruise. As we were exploring in our rental car after the first night, she noticed a bite mark on her lower leg. We weren't sure what it was but found out that night.
We were lying in bed watching TV about 10:00 PM when she spotted a tiny bug scurrying across the sheet. She squashed it with a tissue and proceeded to find six more. The front desk was not answering the phone so she went down to contact them directly. They stated that they would sent the manager of housekeeping right up. 45 minutes later we called housekeeping when no one had showed up yet. A couple of workers, (no signs of management), arrived and were very sympathetic. They removed everything from the bed and cleaned and disinfected it.
The next morning we talked to the manager who said he would look into it but offered no apologies or remittance.
With fees and taxes, we paid close to $500 for two nights trying to avoid problems like this from lower rated hotels. We will definitely not be returning to this facility.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!