“Excellent!! Can't wait to go back!”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent!! Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

The lobby was a bit crazy with all the neon and lights, but it added to the whole "new and on vaca experience". The room was comfortable and the city view (lagoon view) was amazing. The hotel is centrally located. The bus to Old San Juan stops just outside, and it is easy to walk to the shops and restaurants down the beach. Though the parking is expensive if you get a rental. Overall an awesome place to stay for a tropical vacation!

Room Tip: the lagoon view is just as good as the ocean view
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
High Country, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

The rooms were nice and clean, but everything else suffers.
Rooms facing the front of the hotel were very loud, street noise, etc. I could hear everything that happened in the hallways, slamming doors, loud conversations by the cleaning staff and guests. The food was Ok at best, breakfast in the mezzanine level cafe was decent. It took almost two hours to get lunch by the pool one day at Agua Bar.
Biggest complaint is the accounting; phantom charges to our rooms, the two hour lunch that was to be paid by a group voucher also charged to the room. Mass confusion by the front desk in explaining and clearing these matters. More errant charges to my credit card after returning home and a complete unwillingness by the management to help us.
Worst ever!
Oh, did I mention the location sucks too, no beach except a public park (over run by locals on the weekend)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

We got the ocean view we paid for and it was breath taking. We wanted to see the ocean when we woke up and we did. This trip was far better than our last years' trip to Atlantis, Paradise Island. However, next time we will stay at the Double Tree where the suites have both a fridge and a microwave.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Millie M
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

As a Field Marketer for HTC I am asked to travel to Puerto Rico every 6 to 12 weeks for a period of one week. When I was asked to travel this April I spent hours searching for hotels, reading reviews, comparing amenities and researching locations ( being that this would be “home” for a week) after much debate I narrowed my search down to the Conrad. Like many of us I had some concerns. These concerns were put at easy the moment I walked into their beautiful lobby. I was greeted by what I want to call friends. Check in was simple, the staff was friendly and professional. When I entered my room I was blown away, my new home was everything I expected and more, the room offered both elegance and comfort! I quickly settled in. After a few hours in my room it began to feel a bit chilly so I made my way over to the front desk in order to voice my concerns, I was immediately greeted by Omel who showed sincere concern, he offered to walk over to my room and explore the problem himself, he notice that the vents in the room were not fully open (prior guest must have closed them) Felix called a technician who repaired the problem within seconds. The next day as I returned to my room I was surprised to hear the phone ring (I hadn’t given any one the number to my hotel room) after answering I was greeted by Omel who called to check how the temperature felt. The following days went by quickly after my 4th day there staff members began to realized my time at the hotel, they started to referred to me by name and ask how my work day went, gave me suggestions for dinner and even sat with me at times (knowing that I was there alone).
While in Puerto Rico I manage to find the majority of my stores without any problems (thanks to the power of Google maps) for some reason (I’m guessing the coverage) my GPS went out ( location not found populated on my screen) ! I began to panic! Not knowing where I was at, without a friend that had knowledge of the country to call, and driving in circles around a neighborhood I was unfamiliar with especially alone frighten me to the point where I found myself weeping. Uncertain as to what to do I decided to call my hotel, I asked the associate to connect me with Omel, I guess he heard the fear in my voice and asked what was wrong when I explained what had happened he tried to calm me, and ask for my location I made my way to a gas station where I was able to provide him with an address. Omel remained with me on the phone as he guided me half way to the hotel (GPS began working as I made my way into the populated areas of the city). I can’t express my gratitude enough to both Omel and the Conrad! Since my stay I have recommended the Conrad to all of my friends and family. Two of my friends have since reserved a room. I am excited to say that I will be returning in a few weeks with 300 co-workers for a BestBuy event!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Mariela1327
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

I booked a hotel for a Tuesday-Saturday stay (as a single girl, with another single girl, for a last minute warm weather getaway) and spent several hours scouring the San Juan area options. We settled on the Conrad because it seemed to be a great location with all of the resort amenities we'd want, wrapped in a beautiful 4 star hotel. The result: we didn't hate it... but we were disapointed and didn't feel that it totally lived up to the pictures or measured up to a 4 star status.

Cons:
-The beach isn't good. It's small, public and faces a sheltered little body of water between the open sea and the lagoon... and also looks out on an unattractive causeway that leads to Old San Juan. To sit on a real beach with real Atlantic surf, we had to walk down to La Concha hotel a few blocks down on the Condado strip (a great beach, btw, that you can get chairs and umbrellas at and get waited on).
-The weekday service at the pools was lacking... no one came around to take drink or food orders and when we went to the bar/grill in the pool area to order up some grub it took a long time to get delivered to our chairs and was cold/melted (and super overpriced, of course). The main pool with the bar was dirty. It was just kind of a ghost town. This all improved over the weekend... but it shouldn't take a Saturday to make the hotel present itself better.
-Yes, it was "recently rennovated"... but there's still a very very worn look to a large chunk of the hotel. Not exactly the cleanest and crispest. Worn rugs, walls in need of paint, outdated and/or worn furniture.
-Our bedroom and bathroom were SO dark when the sun wasn't out! Not enough lighting at all. And the shower, toilet, sink, closet are in one contained space off of the main room... not ideal for a room that's not being shared by a couple.

Pros:
-the beds were very comfy and the rooms were modern and clean
-all of the rooms have balconies and even if you go for a cheaper lagoon facing room vs. an ocean view room (as we did), it's a nice scene to take in
-Being on the Condado strip is ideal... as earlier stated, I just think it's better to be farther down the street, on a real beach and not right next to the causeway.
-it covered the basics well enough and was still in a really beautiful spot... just not what we wanted from a $300 a night 4 star joint

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

We stayed at the Conrad prior to boarding out ship for a seven night cruise. My wife and I got married at a Conrad hotel in Chicago, so we expected this resort to live up to those standards. Boy were we wrong. The only good thing I can say about this place is that the concierge gave us a great recommendation. Other than that the food at the hotel is expensive and takes forever, the room wasn't cleaned until late in the afternoon when we wanted to take naps, the bell hops were rude, as were the front desk workers when we tried to get a late checkout. I do not have another recommendation for places to stay, but do not waste your money on the Conrad here in San Juan.

• Stayed April 2011
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

We had an initial problem with the room we were first placed in. The internet would not work in the room (though it worked fine in the hallway), so they gave us a different room.
To my surprise the manager called the next morning, apologizing us for the inconvenience. She was disappointed that we weren't given a choice of an upgrade when he had to move our things and offered us dining coupons. Then the IT manager at the hotel called us to make sure that the internet in the new room was working fine.
This is the kind of service you rarely receive even at 4 or 5-star hotels and we were extremely pleased with our experience. The manager at the Conrad is terrific and really cares about the comfort and happiness of the visitors.
Other than that, we really liked our room. The beds are very comfortable and like the reading light right next to each bed. The TV is a little small, but fits well with the decor of the rooms. Our room had a large balcony and a nice view of the lagoon. Though the ocean view rooms are better, I was not disappointed. The bathroom is large and spacious, but there is no lock on the sliding doors. The shower head had ample pressure and the toiletries were from CLEAR by Jean-Jacques. There is a fridge in the bathroom as well as a coffee maker and a closet with lots of space. The internet in the room is free and fast (600 KB/sec and I mean Kilobytes, not Kilobits).
The hotel has two pools and a beach protected by a rock wall. Great place to swim and hangout, both for parents and kids. The view over the ocean is also gorgeous. The casino is large (by Puerto Rico hotel standards) and modern. The location is perfect with only a 5-minute drive to Old San Juan.
Some negatives... The business center is a bit of a rip-off. Also, self-parking is a bit of a pain. The ticket that you receive when you enter the parking lot has to be validated at the valet desk EVERY time. I hope they institute a better parking system, but this inconvenience was not enough to take away from the overall very positive experience.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the best ones.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,115 reviews
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!