“Nice idea but poor management”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I came here for a conference and was expecting a really nice hotel. Instead when I arrived at my hotel room, I found urine on my seat, the fridge door wouldn't close and the bars on the neon clock didn't all light up so you never knew what time it was. I told the manager the next day and the clock and fridge were fixed. The first morning, the shower was AMAZING. It was really high pressure. The second morning, there was a drip. The third morning it was full on blast again and it sprayed the entire bathroom.
I don't think I would stay here again. It's not worth the money. The lobby is nice but somewhat run down. not a great deal.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 April 2011

The lobby was a bit crazy with all the neon and lights, but it added to the whole "new and on vaca experience". The room was comfortable and the city view (lagoon view) was amazing. The hotel is centrally located. The bus to Old San Juan stops just outside, and it is easy to walk to the shops and restaurants down the beach. Though the parking is expensive if you get a rental. Overall an awesome place to stay for a tropical vacation!

Room Tip: the lagoon view is just as good as the ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2011

The rooms were nice and clean, but everything else suffers.
Rooms facing the front of the hotel were very loud, street noise, etc. I could hear everything that happened in the hallways, slamming doors, loud conversations by the cleaning staff and guests. The food was Ok at best, breakfast in the mezzanine level cafe was decent. It took almost two hours to get lunch by the pool one day at Agua Bar.
Biggest complaint is the accounting; phantom charges to our rooms, the two hour lunch that was to be paid by a group voucher also charged to the room. Mass confusion by the front desk in explaining and clearing these matters. More errant charges to my credit card after returning home and a complete unwillingness by the management to help us.
Worst ever!
Oh, did I mention the location sucks too, no beach except a public park (over run by locals on the weekend)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2011

We got the ocean view we paid for and it was breath taking. We wanted to see the ocean when we woke up and we did. This trip was far better than our last years' trip to Atlantis, Paradise Island. However, next time we will stay at the Double Tree where the suites have both a fridge and a microwave.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Millie M
Reviewed 21 April 2011

As a Field Marketer for HTC I am asked to travel to Puerto Rico every 6 to 12 weeks for a period of one week. When I was asked to travel this April I spent hours searching for hotels, reading reviews, comparing amenities and researching locations ( being that this would be “home” for a week) after much debate I narrowed my search down to the Conrad. Like many of us I had some concerns. These concerns were put at easy the moment I walked into their beautiful lobby. I was greeted by what I want to call friends. Check in was simple, the staff was friendly and professional. When I entered my room I was blown away, my new home was everything I expected and more, the room offered both elegance and comfort! I quickly settled in. After a few hours in my room it began to feel a bit chilly so I made my way over to the front desk in order to voice my concerns, I was immediately greeted by Omel who showed sincere concern, he offered to walk over to my room and explore the problem himself, he notice that the vents in the room were not fully open (prior guest must have closed them) Felix called a technician who repaired the problem within seconds. The next day as I returned to my room I was surprised to hear the phone ring (I hadn’t given any one the number to my hotel room) after answering I was greeted by Omel who called to check how the temperature felt. The following days went by quickly after my 4th day there staff members began to realized my time at the hotel, they started to referred to me by name and ask how my work day went, gave me suggestions for dinner and even sat with me at times (knowing that I was there alone).
While in Puerto Rico I manage to find the majority of my stores without any problems (thanks to the power of Google maps) for some reason (I’m guessing the coverage) my GPS went out ( location not found populated on my screen) ! I began to panic! Not knowing where I was at, without a friend that had knowledge of the country to call, and driving in circles around a neighborhood I was unfamiliar with especially alone frighten me to the point where I found myself weeping. Uncertain as to what to do I decided to call my hotel, I asked the associate to connect me with Omel, I guess he heard the fear in my voice and asked what was wrong when I explained what had happened he tried to calm me, and ask for my location I made my way to a gas station where I was able to provide him with an address. Omel remained with me on the phone as he guided me half way to the hotel (GPS began working as I made my way into the populated areas of the city). I can’t express my gratitude enough to both Omel and the Conrad! Since my stay I have recommended the Conrad to all of my friends and family. Two of my friends have since reserved a room. I am excited to say that I will be returning in a few weeks with 300 co-workers for a BestBuy event!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Mariela1327
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I booked a hotel for a Tuesday-Saturday stay (as a single girl, with another single girl, for a last minute warm weather getaway) and spent several hours scouring the San Juan area options. We settled on the Conrad because it seemed to be a great location with all of the resort amenities we'd want, wrapped in a beautiful 4 star hotel. The result: we didn't hate it... but we were disapointed and didn't feel that it totally lived up to the pictures or measured up to a 4 star status.

Cons:
-The beach isn't good. It's small, public and faces a sheltered little body of water between the open sea and the lagoon... and also looks out on an unattractive causeway that leads to Old San Juan. To sit on a real beach with real Atlantic surf, we had to walk down to La Concha hotel a few blocks down on the Condado strip (a great beach, btw, that you can get chairs and umbrellas at and get waited on).
-The weekday service at the pools was lacking... no one came around to take drink or food orders and when we went to the bar/grill in the pool area to order up some grub it took a long time to get delivered to our chairs and was cold/melted (and super overpriced, of course). The main pool with the bar was dirty. It was just kind of a ghost town. This all improved over the weekend... but it shouldn't take a Saturday to make the hotel present itself better.
-Yes, it was "recently rennovated"... but there's still a very very worn look to a large chunk of the hotel. Not exactly the cleanest and crispest. Worn rugs, walls in need of paint, outdated and/or worn furniture.
-Our bedroom and bathroom were SO dark when the sun wasn't out! Not enough lighting at all. And the shower, toilet, sink, closet are in one contained space off of the main room... not ideal for a room that's not being shared by a couple.

Pros:
-the beds were very comfy and the rooms were modern and clean
-all of the rooms have balconies and even if you go for a cheaper lagoon facing room vs. an ocean view room (as we did), it's a nice scene to take in
-Being on the Condado strip is ideal... as earlier stated, I just think it's better to be farther down the street, on a real beach and not right next to the causeway.
-it covered the basics well enough and was still in a really beautiful spot... just not what we wanted from a $300 a night 4 star joint

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2011

We stayed at the Conrad prior to boarding out ship for a seven night cruise. My wife and I got married at a Conrad hotel in Chicago, so we expected this resort to live up to those standards. Boy were we wrong. The only good thing I can say about this place is that the concierge gave us a great recommendation. Other than that the food at the hotel is expensive and takes forever, the room wasn't cleaned until late in the afternoon when we wanted to take naps, the bell hops were rude, as were the front desk workers when we tried to get a late checkout. I do not have another recommendation for places to stay, but do not waste your money on the Conrad here in San Juan.

• Stayed: April 2011