“Modern Hotel, very Friendly Staff.”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My company booked me at this hotel for the first time, I have to say I was so pleased they did! The hotel was modern and offered free WIFI, which is great for us business travelers. The staff was also very nice and friendly and even called me to make sure I was pleased with my room! They have 24 hrs pools, fitness center and casino. I am strongly considering going back with my family! I’m sure they will love it as much as I did!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Hugh D
Write a ReviewReviews (4,933)

Reviewed 6 September 2011

It was awesome,excellent service and very polite ,still don't get other reviews....i had a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.pool sevice and all the restaurants were fantastic,if you go there try Pikayo is a plus,you have the option to go to different withen a short walk at any time of the day,there are several restaurants around,but don't go to Casa Lola....very dissapointing.The hotel was clean,not loud whatsoever,i will recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maroto1063
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I was surprised with the overall condition of the surrounding area of the Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza. But it does appear that some renovations are taking place. We stayed on the 3rd floor and upon arrival noticed a tray of old dishes sitting outside the room across from us. What ever it was had been there for quite some time as it was full of mold. The tray stayed for two additional days, and then our room service attendant removed it. The hall carpet is stained in several areas. The ice machine on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floors were not in operation. The Room itself was very nice and the VIEW was amazing, I am sure this is the reason for the 4.5 star rating. I would Like to offer a pat on the back to Victor, Hector S. and YoMare ALL whom were amazing. We can not thank them enough for all of the help that they offered. I suggest you seek each of them out and introduce yourself upon arrival, they are three assects to the Conrad Hilton Plaza! As for the management, we were so disappointed with the Hotels poor communicaiton. Hurrican Irene hit the Island on our third day, the hotel lost power and it was down hill from there. We found out that the tower on the lagoon side had power, yet we were not moved as the hotel was saving it for the guests they were taking in from a cruise ship. The main elevator was shut down but the service elevator was in operation. Unfortunately after we began using the service elevators or stairs the Hotel set up signs outside of the main elevator to explain where food could be found, yet no one knew. We found out room service was available via word of mouth, but you had to go to the front desk to order. I would assume a Hotel of this calibur would have emergency instructions set in place, yet it seemed that No one knew what was going on. One guest said "it's amazing, it appears that the only thing working in this entire Hotel is your BILLING"! The Hotel did not so much as offer a Free cup of coffee to compensate for the lack of air conditioning or electricity. We lost 4 of the 6 days of our stay due to Hurrican Irene. We felt the Hotel could have offered comp time if we returned or a discount to our room rate.But opted to tell everyone, "you used a room". Such a poor attitude for such a huge hotel. This Hotel failed miserably within the guest relations sector! Make sure to talk to Victor about the Bio Bay tour and if you book make sure you book through the Enchanted, they run the oldest, most organized tour, and they offer guide "lights' believe me that makes a huge difference.

Room Tip: request an upgrade to the Ocean Front.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank friendsconnect
LeahRossi, Front Office Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us; we are sorry you went through these inconveniences, unfortunately this natural event was entirely out of our control. We did the best we could under the circumstances, providing information daily at different times to inform our guests of the prevailing situation, we opened an additional restaurant to add meal options, manned the front office and the lobby with additional staff to support our guests, etc.

We appreciate your understanding under very challenging conditions for all during those days, and thank you very much for providing your kind words about the staff who took care of you. Your opinion will certainly be taken into consideration.

Leah Rossi
Concierge
Guest Services Manager
leah.rossi@conradhotels.com

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Don't be mislead. This is not a Conrad. It in no sense embodies what Conrad patrons expect from the brand. I paid nearly $200/night to find an old building, filthy bathroom, tiny beach property, rude bar waiters, line-ups at the front desk & concierge. The only thing that saved our stay was the pool was OK.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie C
Reviewed 1 September 2011

(3.5)

I want to preface this by saying I got a really good deal on priceline for this hotel, so I'm writing this both keeping that in mind and the fact that rooms of that ilk go for over twice what I paid for it.

The four star aspects:
The ocean view from my balcony was awesome -- they also upgraded me for free to two beds and an ocean view from one king city view. The beds were your typical Hilton linens, like sinking into clouds and not over starched.

The larger pool and the swim-up bar made me think of some of the party hotels in Miami and my travel buddy loved this part. I loved the smaller, quiet pool with a view over the tennis courts to the bay.

The fitness center was VERY well appointed for a hotel, including a jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, all manner of weight training and cardio equipment.

The bathroom set up with the glass shower in the center of the room with everything in it was really nice when I was alone, but would have been uncomfortable if I had been travelling with someone who needed more than three minutes in the bathroom in the morning, i.e. who would have to share the space more.

The three star aspects:
The design of the lobby was ... something else. Like as if a C student in Starck 101 had designed it. It couldn't decide between Caribbean kitsch and mid-century modern, and it was kindof a trip. I understand there is an "infinite lobby" party on the weekends. And I'm kindof glad I missed that.

The two star aspects:
The noise level was a problem. Opening or closing any door was an unavoidable slam; the maid service was exceptionally loud every morning. The insulation between rooms was very thin such that we were kept up by our neighbor's snoring. This was a beach vacation so we didn't really care, but the Conrad caters to business travelers as well, so I thought this was noteworthy.

The concierge led us astray on more than one occasion -- from unapologetically booking us on the wrong rainforest tour to giving me the runaround about where to find a business I was looking for.

We often found it difficult to get towels, which was odd for a beach resort. Besides the hunt to find where to get them in the first place, the little hut would be either overrun with souvenir buyers (which you would get from the same place) or it would be closed.

In short, I would come back if I got this great price again, but if they're going to charge the rates quoted on their site, they need to step up their game.

Room Tip: look for deals with AAA or on priceline, the quiet pool in the building across the street is the pla...
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Claire F

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this thorough review, and pointing out the aspects of the property which you found noteworthy and positive. In regards to the low-star quality ratings, these concerns will be looked into thanks to your feedback. We hope to see you here again and that your experience will be even better!

Leah Rossi
Concierge
Guest Services Manager
leah.rossi@conradhotels.com

Reviewed 27 August 2011

We arrived Monday, August 22nd after a long-delayed and re-routed flight from DC that lasted 5 hours instead of the usual 3.5 hours. Hurricane Irene was supposed to be off the island by mid-day Monday. Irene was still lingering over Puerto Rico by the time we fled the island Tuesday. The hotel was INCREDIBLY nice about our sudden cancellation of the remaining 3 nights of our reservation.

The Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza might have been a nice hotel, but there is no way to evaluate this property as power was out in all areas except the upstairs hallways and the guest rooms. None of the dining amenities had power, hence dining consisted of venturing out into the saturated streets in search of takeout food from the limited restaurants that had back-up generators.

The staff bent over backward to cheerfully deal with a bad situation not of their making. Power remained out in San Juan for several days after we left the island, so it was a good call for us to get out of there 20 hours after arriving.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank yesnomaybe213
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Nothing was as I knew it 5 years ago, very run down, empty .poor check in reception and power goes on and of as frequent as the casino closes and unfortunatly its quite often. casino was shut down for 3 days of my visit due to problems with electricity then they tried to hide it by saying it was out in all of Condado yet I walked to the Sheraton and it was open and full. as well a others in the area .suites are very big but beware of rain for water drips into the room and I was moved to 3 rooms in a 4 day stay.551,951,752,all suites, nice jacuzzis in room but very dirty water.restaurants not worth the money.No shops,1 small bar in lobby .very sad stay for what used to be a great fun hotel and casino.Excellent internet acess.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi suites if anything
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ape22
EdgardoL, Front Office Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your destination in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, during your stay we were hit by a category one Hurricane (Irene) and it affected the electric power on the entire island. Due to this unfortunate event the tourism company closed the casino until our power was restored and our shop and other areas of the Hotel where affected as well.

During the circumstances we continued to operate and assist our guests, making sure that we provided the best service we could after going through a phenomenon like this one. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a comment because we take each and every one of them very seriously and it can only help us improve.

Cordially,